Sponsored

Anyone else having trouble with mpg rates?

nato0825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Hi all,

just joined the forum a few days ago, so pretty new here. Picked up a TRD Sport last week and so far so good, ~300 miles on odometer. Mileage so far however has not been great. Right now I'm getting about 16 mpg without the chin of an air dam on the front (UP from 15 with it on, make that make any sense) but to me that doesn't seem right. I have seen others getting upwards of 22-23 highway without breaking a sweat. Haven't been flooring the thing either and placed drive mode into 'Eco' that hasn't solved much. Any thoughts/solutions would be great, don't feel like filling up every 250 miles.
Sponsored

Last edited:

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
My tach usually shows me consistently at 18-19mpg. I drive in Eco 99% of the time.

I also regularly go 80-95 on the intestate, so I'm my own worst enemy.

OP
OP
nato0825

nato0825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My tach usually shows me consistently at 18-19mpg. I drive in Eco 99% of the time.

I also regularly go 80-95 on the intestate, so I'm my own worst enemy.
Yeah, wish I could go the speed limit with those rates, maybe my taco just loves gulping down 87.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
From what I've seen so far (have about 2400 mi), speed has everything to do with it. Stop and go traffic may also have a major impact but I don't get into that much.
I get 25+ mpg (measured from fuel fill-up) on country highways through mountainous terrain. Elevation changes average out (some uphill, some downhill). Mostly 55 mph, nothing over 65. Very little stop and go. Normal mode using adaptive cruise control as much as possible with it set to low acceleration.

OP
OP
nato0825

nato0825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I've seen so far (have about 2400 mi), speed has everything to do with it. Stop and go traffic may also have a major impact but I don't get into that much.
I get 25+ mpg (measured from fuel fill-up) on country highways through mountainous terrain. Elevation changes average out (some uphill, some downhill). Mostly 55 mph, nothing over 65. Very little stop and go. Normal mode using adaptive cruise control as much as possible with it set to low acceleration.
A lot of my daily driving is on the highway with little-medium traffic. Took a drive last night and averaged about 17 mpg, which is the best I've got so far. That was mostly at highway speeds, 65-75. Still can't wrap my head around it, 25 mpg makes me jealous.

Sponsored

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
A lot of my daily driving is on the highway with little-medium traffic. Took a drive last night and averaged about 17 mpg, which is the best I've got so far. That was mostly at highway speeds, 65-75. Still can't wrap my head around it, 25 mpg makes me jealous.
Don't know what to tell you. I was shocked the first time I checked the actual fill-up to fill-up mileage because it was on a 130+ mile run in the mountains with lots of up and down grades. I was expecting 20 or less MPG.
If you have somewhere that fits, try this.
Find a 60 mile or so stretch of country highway where the limit is mostly 55 with nothing over 65 (someplace scenic if possible so you get something out of the drive). Fill up and clear a trip meter. Set cruise control to low acceleration and run in normal mode. Pick a day/time when you won't hit traffic and do a round trip at the speed limit, let cruise control do most of the acceleration. Fill up again and calculate mileage from the trip meter miles.
Also, are you carrying any weight? Have a roof rack? Anything that would cause drag?

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
And have you done a manual calculation or are you just looking at the computed value on the display?

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
This is all about the turbo. You don't have to floor it, but the more you put your foot into it, the turbo will spool up and it will gulp gas. Most members and youtube comparisons have found that Normal mode gives better mileage as well. I know that's counter-intuitive, but it's the case. I think it's because when you're passing, etc... it waits longer to downshift which then spools up the turbo more. I am lifted on 10-ply 33's and am usually around 19 on the highway. I did get 20 the other day, and that was before I recalculated for the bigger tires. I would've been better.

Sponsored
OP
OP
nato0825

nato0825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is all about the turbo. You don't have to floor it, but the more you put your foot into it, the turbo will spool up and it will gulp gas. Most members and youtube comparisons have found that Normal mode gives better mileage as well. I know that's counter-intuitive, but it's the case. I think it's because when you're passing, etc... it waits longer to downshift which then spools up the turbo more. I am lifted on 10-ply 33's and am usually around 19 on the highway. I did get 20 the other day, and that was before I recalculated for the bigger tires. I would've been better.
Good point, I'll definitely make comparisons in normal mode and see how that works out. It's still a bit crazy to me that I'm getting 16 avg, especially since I'm bone stock at the moment.

OP
OP
nato0825

nato0825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know what to tell you. I was shocked the first time I checked the actual fill-up to fill-up mileage because it was on a 130+ mile run in the mountains with lots of up and down grades. I was expecting 20 or less MPG.
If you have somewhere that fits, try this.
Find a 60 mile or so stretch of country highway where the limit is mostly 55 with nothing over 65 (someplace scenic if possible so you get something out of the drive). Fill up and clear a trip meter. Set cruise control to low acceleration and run in normal mode. Pick a day/time when you won't hit traffic and do a round trip at the speed limit, let cruise control do most of the acceleration. Fill up again and calculate mileage from the trip meter miles.
Also, are you carrying any weight? Have a roof rack? Anything that would cause drag?
I'll try that out sometime this week. I have some good roads that I can choose from to test it out. Currently have nothing done and no extra weight I'm lugging around that would make a difference.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
18-19 blasting it at 85MPH is impressive, given that drag is exponential.
Yea, my foot seems to made of lead. Thankfully I also wired in a radar detector.

Highway driving is actually better cause the speed is generally consistent, so I'll occasionally climb into the 19 range, but pretty consistent at about 18.6 total.

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Yea, my foot seems to made of lead. Thankfully I also wired in a radar detector.

Highway driving is actually better cause the speed is generally consistent, so I'll occasionally climb into the 19 range, but pretty consistent at about 18.6 total.
Hah. I feel that as I aged, I just keep driving slower and slower. I still have an older Valentine1 I've been meaning to sell. Never even bothered to wire it up in my GT4 after I sold my R35.

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
3 factors.
Speed. Your speed matters alot, stay below 60 for best results.
Road conditions. Straight and level, stop and go, or up and down hills.
Boost: don’t make boost. Boost is different from speed. You can get to speed without boost.

I can get 32.5 on long, flat stretches of road driving 55mpg. ….if I stay out of the boost.

I average 22 mpg in mixed highway/in town driving. I keep out of boost.

You will get less in every scenario if you dip into boost…

YMMV….literally.
Sponsored