Apple Carplay Problems.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
It doesn’t make sense. For example. I’m in the middle of a forest with no WiFi for miles. The only WiFi capability I have is the onboard WiFi through AT&T. I select WiFi and it gives me the message that it will disable CarPlay. Not saying I know what’s right here. Just saying it won’t let me.
Because CarPlay is already using that connection.
Sponsored

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
Because CarPlay is already using that connection.
Ok this is my last comment. 😂 what if I didn’t pay for the AT&T WiFi ? Are you saying that it automatically will only run on Bluetooth if you don’t have onboard WiFi and if you do happen to have onboard WiFi subscription- then it automatically selects WiFi as its connection choice?

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Ok this is my last comment. 😂 what if I didn’t pay for the AT&T WiFi ? Are you saying that it automatically will only run on Bluetooth if you don’t have onboard WiFi and if you do happen to have onboard WiFi subscription- then it automatically selects WiFi as its connection choice?
Sorry, not quite sure what you are asking exactly…. Imagine this. You are sitting in your house and your phone is connected to wifi. Let’s say your neighbours wifi reaches your house. You can’t connect to your wifi and your neighbours wifi at the same time. It’s one or the other. Same thing here. Either the vehicle is using its wifi connection for CarPlay or another wifi connection. It can’t be both. I don’t work for Apple but this is my understanding. 😂

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Wireless carplay uses Wi-Fi for data transfer (Maps, Music etc.). Bluetooth initiates the connection, then the actual data connection is on Wi-Fi. Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth and needs Wi-Fi for the data transfer.
Thank you. 😊 This makes perfect sense as to how mine is acting. It starts on Bluetooth, Siri works for a bit then drops off. Phone then says no Bluetooth connection yet is connected to CarPlay. Siri does not work now unless I press the voice command button on steering wheel.
Why does it work then, is the voice command button a signal boost?
Any Canadian owners here? I do not think my truck has a wifi connection.
This weekend I will dive into the owners manual, as I have not had the time to since I got the truck 12 days ago.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Thank you. 😊 This makes perfect sense as to how mine is acting. It starts on Bluetooth, Siri works for a bit then drops off. Phone then says no Bluetooth connection yet is connected to CarPlay. Siri does not work now unless I press the voice command button on steering wheel.
Why does it work then, is the voice command button a signal boost?
Any Canadian owners here? I do not think my truck has a wifi connection.
This weekend I will dive into the owners manual, as I have not had the time to since I got the truck 12 days ago.
I’m from Canada. So Siri works and then stops working? The voice command button in the car will perform two functions. A quick push activates the Toyota assistant. A long push will activate Siri. If you have your phone settings for Siri set to listen for “Siri” or “Hey Siri” or both…your phone will listen for you to speak those commands as well. But maybe I’m not understanding your issue.

Sponsored

FerventJerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Here’s how I understand it…
The WiFi setting only has meaning if your vehicle has cellular service to provide internet to your devices. It’s really a setting to turn the vehicle HotSpot on/off.

The Bluetooth setting does not control the Bluetooth hardware. It’s not like a phone switch which turns the transmitter on/off. Setting the Bluetooth switch on is setting a preference, it means you want your phone to only send music, phone calls and alert sounds, no maps, apps or other data.

The CarPlay setting is also a preference, turning it on means you want the full experience of apps and data in addition to audio. Whatever signals and protocols are required to do that is irrelevant because the other settings are not controlling the hardware transmitters.

So Bluetooth ON means you don’t want CarPlay apps and maps, you want to limit the phone connection to the more limited set of alerts, music and calls.

CarPlay ON means you want the full apps, maps, and audio experience.

So turning one on also turns the other off, because they are really opposites.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
This may or may not help:

1. How Apple CarPlay Works
Apple CarPlay allows users to mirror iOS apps and functions on a car's infotainment screen, either through a wired or wireless connection. The vehicle’s firmware (the onboard software that controls various systems) must communicate effectively with iOS to ensure CarPlay functions smoothly. Any issues in this communication can cause problems, such as CarPlay turning off unexpectedly.

2. Common Causes of CarPlay Issues
Several factors can lead to problems with Apple CarPlay:
  • Outdated or Glitchy Firmware: If the vehicle’s infotainment system firmware is outdated or not well-optimized for CarPlay, connection problems may arise. Updates from the car manufacturer can sometimes fix these issues.
  • Multiple Devices Connected: When more than one iPhone is paired with the vehicle (e.g., you and a passenger both have your phones paired), the system may struggle to determine which phone to prioritize. This can cause CarPlay to switch off or not recognize a specific phone.
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Confusion: Wireless CarPlay relies on Bluetooth for the initial connection and then switches to Wi-Fi for data transfer. If there’s an issue with Bluetooth or another phone is already connected, the system may not switch to CarPlay properly, leaving one phone connected to Bluetooth only without CarPlay functionality.
  • Privacy and Siri Settings: CarPlay interactions can also be influenced by the individual settings on each iPhone. If one phone’s privacy settings or Siri configuration are set differently, the system might listen to the wrong phone, causing confusion during use.
3. Why This Happens
Some cars handle CarPlay better than others due to differences in firmware quality and hardware capabilities. When one phone connects, the car may prioritize that device, but if another phone is paired (for example, a passenger’s), the system can become confused, particularly if both phones have CarPlay enabled.

4. Steps to Resolve or Avoid Issues
  • Update Your Vehicle’s Firmware: Check if your car manufacturer has released any software updates for the infotainment system. These updates often address bugs or improve CarPlay functionality.
  • Re-pair Devices: Disconnect all phones from the vehicle’s Bluetooth and CarPlay connections, then reconnect them one at a time. This resets the connection and can reduce conflicts between devices.
  • Prioritize One Device: If possible, only connect one phone to CarPlay at a time, especially if you know you’ll be using navigation, music, or calls. Disconnecting the second phone from CarPlay can help avoid conflicts.
  • Use Wired CarPlay: If wireless CarPlay is causing issues, try using a USB cable instead. Wired CarPlay tends to be more reliable, as it forces the car to recognize the connected phone.
  • Check Phone Settings: Ensure both phones have CarPlay configured correctly under Settings > General > CarPlay. Adjust Siri and privacy settings to ensure the right device is taking priority during voice commands.
5. How CarPlay Manages Connections
Apple CarPlay establishes connections through a combination of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi:
  • Bluetooth Pairing: This is the first step, where the car detects the iPhone and prepares to launch CarPlay.
  • Wi-Fi or USB: After pairing, CarPlay switches to either a Wi-Fi connection (for wireless CarPlay) or USB (for wired CarPlay) for data transmission.
  • Device Prioritization: When multiple phones are connected, the vehicle’s firmware decides which phone to prioritize. Some cars manage this well, while others may experience issues, especially with older firmware or hardware.
Conclusion
Apple CarPlay issues often arise when the car's system struggles to prioritize between multiple connected devices, or when firmware isn't fully compatible. To resolve this, updating your vehicle’s software, re-establishing connections, and managing how phones connect can help. If you continue experiencing problems, using a wired connection or disconnecting unused devices might be a more reliable solution.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Ok so my Map’s volume did not work. When navigating in CarPlay the radio did not go quiet and the maps did not say the directions. I found you touch the maps screen and turn up volume for it. This setting may have to be done more than just one it seems.

Last edited:

Taco Golfer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I’m constantly having problems with my phone connecting to the truck. Every other day I need to “forget” my phone from the truck and then re-pair the both. When the phone wont automatically connect to the truck, even using the cable also will not let me use CarPlay.

Also when I remote start the truck, my phone will not connect to the truck once I get in the car and I will have to “forget” and then pair truck and phone again.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any settings I need to change in my phone? I’m coming from a 2011 Tacoma with manual windows and locks and I had to use an AUX cord to listen to my phone, so this is all new to me lol.
When you first start up your Taco you will receive a pop up on your phone asking to “allow” access. This happens very fast so make sure you are looking for it. It will also seek facial identification.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
mine wont let me do this. The slider will immediately jump back.
Watch that screen that will list your phone and might say it is not connected. If an iPhone be mindful of WiFi enabled.

Removing some of the phones that were set up seems to improve this but reality is this vehicle firmware really shows signs if an update needed. Beyond my experience already noted, my business unit in the enterprise has around 200 mobile deployed and is makes it really clear what they connect to makes a difference. CarPlay in our VW is not perfect but better. A lot with that car improved after a firmware update.
Sponsored