Sponsored

Cancelled my deposit today

PNWblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Well, my local dealer finally got 2 Tacos on the lot. One is a blue crush SR5 with a 6ft bed and the other is black with the short bed. After sitting in it I already knew this wasn't the truck for me. Seats are really uncomfortable and the cabin was still too cramped. At this price point I see more value in a full size, so I wish everyone the best. I still think they're sharp looking trucks but doesn't suit my needs.

2024 Tacoma Cancelled my deposit today PXL_20240316_190044007
Sponsored

TH1017

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Any of them premium or just the cloth seats? Don’t believe the cab was supposed to be any bigger than last gen. Tundra is way more expensive but maybe you see value in the size.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Regarding the seats being uncomfortable, the general consensus from previous Tacoma owners is that the seating in the new Tacoma is a huge improvement. And the cabin is certainly not cramped. I just sounds like you need a full sized truck.

OP
OP

PNWblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Any of them premium or just the cloth seats? Don’t believe the cab was supposed to be any bigger than last gen. Tundra is way more expensive but maybe you see value in the size.
They're both cloth seats but the long bed blue one has the convenience package
Regarding the seats being uncomfortable, the general consensus from previous Tacoma owners is that the seating in the new Tacoma is a huge improvement. And the cabin is certainly not cramped. I just sounds like you need a full sized truck.
Yeah, I wasn't a 3G owner so I have no previous Taco reference point other than the last time I sat in one the seating position was a deal breaker. While this seating position is improved it's still "off" to me and the driver seat was really stiff. Like I said, it's a sharp looking trucks but just isn't for me. I'll still admire the ones that are all decked out on the trails.

Sponsored

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
I agree with the price point. I just wish there was an option for a manual in a full size today. But since there isn’t, staying with the Tacoma. Good luck!

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
Nope, 5'10 180, and my 5'5 120 wife also thought it was very uncomfortable
Well, if it's not for you then it's not for you! Can't argue with that. I have an old full size truck but find it's just too big overall for most of my purposes. Lucky for us there's lots of truck options out there so I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. I've been seeing some good deals on Tundras lately. If inflation stays high'ish, interest rates stay up, and money continues to be tight for the average American I bet the deals will continue to get better over the next year or so. I'm not happy about that situation but it seems likely and may prove to be a good opportunity. Just my amateur opinion but I think new auto sales are going to slump. Probably not the Tacoma though!

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
I agree with the price point. I just wish there was an option for a manual in a full size today. But since there isn’t, staying with the Tacoma. Good luck!
I'm way over stoker for the MT! Think I'm going to hold off for a bit though and see how these early adopter trucks do. The MT's are not very high production right now so I'm going to wait till there's more inventory in the market so I can get as close to exactly what I want as possible. I can't stomach paying that much money for a truck that has options and a bunch of things on it I don't care for. If I was a wealthier guy I'd say screw it and grab an OR MT with all the bells and whistles though!

Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
guess its time for you to delete your account!

Yes, delete your account and join Taylor Swift and Barbie forums.

The 2024 Tacoma:

It is not a Lexus (comfort)

It is not a Corolla (fuel economy)

It is not a mini house (Sienna)

It cannot pull large trailers (Tundra)

It is not a smooth gearbox (old school Supra twin turbo)

It is a mid-size truck, I have owned a 2G and 3G and it is wayy batter than the Colorado and Ranger.

You guys keep complaining about pricing, yet have the nerve to say "disappointed" with all of this garbage that should be in a luxury sedan and not a truck.

I remember growing up and working a small restaurant and listening to the farmer couple that came in for coffee all of the time driving a simple F-150. This was the 1990's may I add you. They were complaining about the rising prices on a basic truck. They were funny and said, you want air conditioning, ROLL DOWN THE WINDOWS, and the like.

Same applies here. Too much bling that increases the weight and size of a basic truck and then that hefty price tag. The basics are, 4wd, higher ground clearance and the ability to do work, that is all I require of my truck. Bling is not for me, and I have had a host of Toyota trucks over the years to show that bling is out with me, and functionality is king.

The only thing I will cause for concern on these 2024 models is the forward-facing rear links on the rear suspension. They ride below the frame, thus are vulnerable to damage off-road. Anything like that sits below the frame line is asking for trouble. Why do you think Toyota placed their torsion bars on the upper a-arms back in the day? So, when you slip off-road on rocks and shyt they hit the frame first and not the weak point of the torsion bars. Imagine the weight of the truck resting on the torsion bars, now imagine the weight of the truck resting on those rear links?

The front phony skid plates is another issue, but I will replace that with a proper aftermarket one, so not a big deal. I guess my complaints differ from most, but that is how I approach a 4x4 pickup. I go underneath first and foremost and inspect what matters.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
I hear you, and I'm now leaning towards an SR5 Tundra w/off road package and 6.5' bed. The bigger gas tank (32.2 gal), the roll-down rear window, and the extra room (for my 100 lb Pittie/Mastiff) are what makes it seem a better truck for me. Traded my '21 1500 TrailBoss for the 4 Dr Bronco, and with the back seats down it's pretty comfortable to sleep in, and I love the MT, but I miss having a truck and plan to put either a topper or a Tune M1 or MoonLander on for my overlanding ventures (I'm 70, single, and retired, and no hard core off-roading is in my future). Hope you find the right truck for you, and don't pay much attention to the really negative comments here.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Hope you find the right truck for you, and don't pay much attention to the really negative comments here.
Reading some of the negative comments here, you’d think the OP had insulted their mother. Not sure why certain people on these forums take opinions of a vehicle so personally (unless they own a lot of Toyota stock). The OP was obviously attracted to the new Tacoma initially because he had put a deposit down, but when he took it for a test drive, he realized it wasn’t the truck for him and his family. That’s fair, as many vehicle attributes are subjective. He shared his opinion without insulting anyone, but some people still got butt hurt by it. Reminds me of middle school.

Anyway, I’m still very much interested in this truck, but I can also understand why it isn’t the truck for everyone. I’m just waiting for Toyota to figure out whatever is wrong and release all those Tacomas that have been stuck in QC hold, so my local dealerships will actually have a model I can look at and test drive that is close to what I want. Right now, there are very few new Tacomas I can see in person. I’m hoping this will improve next month.

Good luck to the OP and everyone here. I hope you all find the right vehicle for you.

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
PNWblue, I totally understand your point of view. Frankly the interior comfort will decide whether we buy a Trailhunter. We received a text from our dealer yesterday indicating those trucks will be arriving in the next few months, perhaps sooner. We are first on the list for a TH, with our only color combo being Bronze Oxide / Mineral Softex.

We’ll decide whether we want to plunk down $60K-plus when we lay our hands on the truck. We’re also waitlisted on a GX 550 Overtrail+ at two different local dealers. If we decide the Tacoma is not for us, we’ll move on without regret.

I still think the Tacoma (any generation) is a brilliant vehicle that is top of class. The only question is whether the 2024 is a fit for us. Considering our affinity for smaller vehicles, there’s a good chance it will be. We shall see — sooner rather than later.

Good luck with whatever your next purchase is. As I always say: Life is too damned short to drive boring vehicles.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE