Defects of Tacooma that everyone should look at

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
My defect is exactly in the same spot and the condensation is how I was made aware of it. Happened at around 3100 miles.
Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Rear door panels injection molding dimples
IMG_5524.jpeg

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
My defect is exactly in the same spot and the condensation is how I was made aware of it. Happened at around 3100 miles.
Glad Iā€™m not the only one. But sucks - I hate having the dealership messing around trying to fix things. It usually opens up a wormhole. šŸ˜‚

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad Iā€™m not the only one. But sucks - I hate having the dealership messing around trying to fix things. It usually opens up a wormhole. šŸ˜‚
Seems they are all raising up off windshield in that exact spot. I just wish I noticed that rear door window seal at the same time because I have to call the dealership for the second time this week. I am patient and will let the warranty cover everything. Love the truck so much and like you hope this is a ONE TIME replacing defective parts and done deal.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
C'mon Toyota, I know you can do better than this. Fix this man's freaking truck.

It seems obvious it has moisture in there and that is not a minor issue IMO.

Sponsored

Airborne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4runner
Gee. What would Sheldon think about thisā€¦.its unacceptable from toyota, they need to get their shit together

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Monday 1:00 pm back to dealership second week in row for warranty assessment. I could get lucky and that passenger door window seal will be available in weeks not months. My situation is unique as I do not need the truck for daily use so all the down time for warranty parts replacement and accident damages do not effect my lifestyle. Teething issues and accidents happen. If I get myself into a situation that would require lemon law I would get another 4G MT Tacoma and try it again second time around. Looking forward to getting these lil issues fixed up and excited to fuck around in the snow.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota will be replacing the seal on that passenger door and the the part will arrive in 1-3 days! Not all parts are back ordered apparently. Also they had about 15 24 Tacomas on the lot 1 off road 1 limited hybrid not a single sport or a manual transmission mostly SR and SR5. What was crazy was a SR5 with 58k window sticker! HOLY EVERY OPTION! They told me they have seen a lot of manual transmission Tacoma but they are ordered or sell immediately. Also mentioned that the Toyota regional sales rep told them Toyota was watching popularity of manual transmission in Tacoma.

DaveyJ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Sport plus
But itā€™s not solely esthetic- I get condensation on the outside of windshield exactly where my defect is. This pic was taken midday at 75 degrees. Not too hot not too cold. Happens every day.

IMG_5285.jpeg
I have the same problem with condensation in that spot of the lower windshield.My truck is sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks and counting for the cracked evaporator box issue.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
It seems that Toyota needs to either get better at fixing this stuff or get better at making their trucks in the first place. I may get my truck this week and if it has any of these issues I may just walk away. My Tundra is over 13 years old and perfect, something I don't know that I will be able to say about my new Taco.

Good luck @DaveyJ. You are well on your way to a lemon law case if you are no longer committed to your truck.

DaveyJ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Sport plus
It seems that Toyota needs to either get better at fixing this stuff or get better at making their trucks in the first place. I may get my truck this week and if it has any of these issues I may just walk away. My Tundra is over 13 years old and perfect, something I don't know that I will be able to say about my new Taco.

Good luck @DaveyJ. You are well on your way to a lemon law case if you are no longer committed to your truck.
I'm in Canada,so no lemon law here.I really like the truck during the time I've had it but not too happy now.Ive got a 2023 sr5 loaner and I can see why I never wanted to buy the 3rd gen,but damn it'll probably be more reliable than the 4th Gen.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@DaveyJ The 4th gen will get there - and here's hoping that they get your truck fixed sooner rather than later.

All new models have their issues, but the 4h gen seems to have more than normal. I do trust Toyota to sort this out eventually, but they need to react more quickly than they have been IMO.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma OR
I have the same problem with condensation in that spot of the lower windshield.My truck is sitting at the dealer for 3 weeks and counting for the cracked evaporator box issue.
Mine started lifting up in the same area. I have to agree that I think it's mostly cosmetic although I guess maybe a tad bit of engine heat could be escaping? I used some trim tools and got that area lifted up, then put a thick application of clear silicone under it. Wiped the excess and then sat a couple 10lb dumbbells against it for 24hrs. Nice and flush again for now. Haven't had any odd condensation either before or after.

While I had the strip lifted up, I found that the plastic underneath sits very tightly against the windshield, that's why I'm also kind of voting cosmetic but I really have no idea.

Edit to add that dumbbells also fixed my rear bed caps coming up at the front. A 25lb on top of each for 24hrs got them flush against the bed. Over 2 weeks now and they haven't budged, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Last edited:

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine started lifting up in the same area. I have to agree that I think it's mostly cosmetic although I guess maybe a tad bit of engine heat could be escaping? I used some trim tools and got that area lifted up, then put a thick application of clear silicone under it. Wiped the excess and then sat a couple 10lb dumbbells against it for 24hrs. Nice and flush again for now. Haven't had any odd condensation either before or after.

While I had the strip lifted up, I found that the plastic underneath sits very tightly against the windshield, that's why I'm also kind of voting cosmetic but I really have no idea.

Edit to add that dumbbells also fixed my rear bed caps coming up at the front. A 25lb on top of each for 24hrs got them flush against the bed. Over 2 weeks now and they haven't budged, fingers crossed it stays that way.
This was my exact thought process and plan b if the dealership told me it was cosmetic and not to worry. The technician that called Toyota to confirm warranty replacement was told it was a known issue and advised to order new windshield cowl. Now I will say this if it raises up again on the new cowl I might be doing a lil silicone and dumbbells in my own bat cave. Nice work and great tips with the dumbbells as weights.
Sponsored