Sponsored

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
I'm curious if this new Dongar harness/parking adapter works with all of these unique Asian based dash cam manufacturers (specifically Viofo). I was interested in picking up a A229 Plus with the Amazon Prime sale going on, but someone on a Reddit thread said that they use a very non standard USB-C implementation and that most USB-C power plugs and parking adapters would not work at all.

Any info from @Dongar would be appreciated. Thanks :)
I'm using the Viofo A229 with the original Dongar adaptor it comes with different USB plugs for the cameras... Works fine with the USB-C adapter
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dongar

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
@nosirrahdrof @goin2drt

Yes it'll work with no problems!

You're spot on in pointing out that the chinese cams do not have a standard USB-C implementation. Not to get too technical, but by default USB-C ports are supposed to supply 0V until a handshake is done between two USB-C devices, so that the two USB-C devices can figure out which one is the power source, and which one is the one needing the power. These Asian dashcam brands don't bother doing this, because they don't expect their devices to be plugged into anything other than their supplied power adapters or generic hardwire kits that only supply 5V all the time, and therefore these cams won't even turn on when plugged into a macbook charger, for example. We've designed around this issue and you'll have no issues with the Viofo :sunglasses:

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
The Dongar dash cam adapter seems to be a good choice for running a dash cam. Chloe Kuo did a Dongar install on a 4G Tacoma here. I've enjoyed Chloe's content. She wrenches on her own truck and her channel has good 3rd gen and 4th gen Tacoma content.
Sponsored