Sponsored

First i-Force Max Review - Questionable Power

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
I'm 5ft 8, just a small hop to get in. It does feel like you are towering over everyone which is nice for once LOL. I'll try it I don't think the videos online really did a good job testing it. The hybrid component is powerful for initial acceleration I do feel a difference. (test drove the non hybrid a few weeks before.) Also might be BS but when I use premium gas it does seem to perform better (noticeably)
I’ve only had my Pro for a few hours, but I agree the hybrid is noticeable on initial acceleration.

2024 Tacoma First i-Force Max Review - Questionable Power IMG_1523
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I’ve only had my Pro for a few hours, but I agree the hybrid is noticeable on initial acceleration.
Good to hear from an owner who is in a position to know, not some Youtube yahoos. It is very hard to understand how a strong increase in hp and a huge increase in torque could not be noticed by these clowns. As we say in software, garbage in, garbage out. lol

Thanks for the picture btw. That Terra Pro is looking sweet!

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Something else to consider, the TRD Pro wheels/tires weigh almost 6 lbs more than the OEM TRD OR wheels/tires, 4 lbs more than my aftermarket set. I’d expect this to make a difference in performance and gas mileage.

For a more Apples to Apples comparison, I may test fit my 17” RRW wheels on the Pro. If they clear the brake calipers, I’ll get a better comparison.

ChesterCopperpot

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma
I just picked up my Off-road hybrid yesterday. I believe the battery kicks in up to maybe 2,500 rpm then turns power over to ICE. Doesn’t feel particularly fast as a drag racer, but has gobs of power whenever you need during normal driving. I love it!

2024 Tacoma First i-Force Max Review - Questionable Power IMG_7249

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Cool - glad you are liking your new hybrid and finding the power to be strong.

People complain that Tacos are not fast in 0-60 when that is not what trucks are for. They are for hauling and doing work, not shutting down Teslas. :)

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
I just picked up my Off-road hybrid yesterday. I believe the battery kicks in up to maybe 2,500 rpm then turns power over to ICE. Doesn’t feel particularly fast as a drag racer, but has gobs of power whenever you need during normal driving. I love it!

IMG_7249.jpeg
Exactly as intended. Power and torque at the low RPM range where it's needed.

Taconatron

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
Obviously anyone who bought or is buying a TRD PRO/TH, or any other variant of the hybrid is going to defend their purchase. Nobody wants to admit the Hybrid powertrain offers marginal benifit at best. I won't even elaborate on the negatives such as added weight, a battery that starts to degrade on day 1 (it may take 10 years to fail but it will get weaker with each passing year) added driveline complexity, less storage space in the second row, reduced payload and towing capacity to name a few.
This is a modest sized Hybrid battery that will stay depleted under heavy load such as towing because it has no opportunity to charge when it is constantly in use.

Tacoma's, hybrid or not are slow. Any mommie in her kid hauler is going to own you at the stop light no matter what you do. Times in the 7's are slow. Fast cars are sub 4 second 0-60 and run 1/4 mile in the 12's.

I am not a fan of the Hybrid Tacoma as you can probably tell but those that choose to buy one obviously feel differently and I respect their choice to do so.
You’re comparing 0-60 times with sports car times. That’s not right. We get it tho. Your arguments are not all wrong. I will be happy with out the hybrid system. If you want it great. The comparisons are new and few between at the moment. Give it time before you start dumping on it. And then just let it go.

that_frenchman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Cruz

IMG_7249.jpeg
I think you may be the first OR hybrid I’ve seen without the air dam. Looking good! I think the 18” wheels and closer to 33” tires fill out those wheel wells nicely. Can’t wait for my bronze oxide. Any day now 🤞🤞

Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
two reasons I went with the hybrid were the inverter for outdoors use, and torque when i need it. .I wasn't expecting mileage or acceleration.
yep the high output inverter is not talked about that much... 🤫

An iforceMax taco will cruise right past a standard iForce engine climbing mtn passes. On the descent, the engine will shut off and then you're playing with the house's money. time stamp 19:41

IMO I call that 'acceleration'! But those two YouTubers wouldn't know because they're stuck in flatland BFE trying to drag race a Limited! SMH... IKYK 🤙🏽

Last edited:

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche

IMG_7249.jpeg
Oh man exact configuration I'm waiting for but so far I've only been able to track down black ones. Very jealous! Looking like I'll be waiting until September at least.
Sponsored