Grill shutter malfunction issue

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I asked specifically if the replacement shutter mechanism I received was an improved part, or if the mechanic did anything preventative during its install to keep this malfunction from happening again, and was told no. So I expect another malfunction to appear before too long.
I have quite the milage racked up on my new one, lots of rain and pressure washing and zero issues yet. Something tells me there was something wrong with the first batch of shutters from factory, they caught it and fixed it in future productions of the part.
Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
So is the truck undrivable with the shutter malfunction?

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
So is the truck undrivable with the shutter malfunction?
Mine wasn't although the AEB and lane centering don't work. The other issue is you get constant visual warnings in the drivers side screen (center). I drove for almost a month like that with no issues. This was all done with the dealers approval.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I have quite the milage racked up on my new one, lots of rain and pressure washing and zero issues yet. Something tells me there was something wrong with the first batch of shutters from factory, they caught it and fixed it in future productions of the part.
Yes, although the part number doesn't seem to have changed I think there was just a bad initial run of them. Just a guess but it sounds plausible since my replacement is still working after countless car washes.

Sponsored

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
My build date is 1/24 and took delivery on 2/16. Just over 4 months and almost at 4000 miles and have not had the issue yet (knock wood) If I do experience it I will drive it until they get the part to fix it.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Something tells me there was something wrong with the first batch of shutters from factory, they caught it and fixed it in future productions of the part.
Everyone who hasn't got it hopes that their truck somehow won't get caught up in it. I pressure washed my truck weekly, sometimes biweekly for 3 months without issue, but then it happened one night driving home from work.

The truck will still drive fine while the malfunction is going off, but if the shutters are stuck in the closed position, it shouldn't be driven.

SP4RUNNER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellcat, Highlander
It's part of the cooling system. The truck warms up much faster if I understand correctly. The 2023 had it and so does the Tundra.
so cant they make a adapter that tricks it to think its in closed position, but leaves it in open position? Kind of reminds me of the exhaust shutters on my Hellcat , when I installed the aftermarket exhaust I had to add an adapter to eliminate the open close valve function this removed the check engine light and it never came back on.

Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Everyone who hasn't got it hopes that their truck somehow won't get caught up in it. I pressure washed my truck weekly, sometimes biweekly for 3 months without issue, but then it happened one night driving home from work.

The truck will still drive fine while the malfunction is going off, but if the shutters are stuck in the closed position, it shouldn't be driven.
I did get it, and has sense gotten it replaced. Anyone who thinks they won't get it has wishful thinking haha. Although you'd think by now Toyota would've caught up at the plant and resolved the issue before it hits lots.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Although you'd think by now Toyota would've caught up at the plant and resolved the issue before it hits lots.
You would think.

This has to be an issue that Toyota is planning to deal with at some point, it sucked being without my truck for 3 weeks, even though I had a '24 Tundra Limited as a loaner vehicle.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
so cant they make a adapter that tricks it to think its in closed position, but leaves it in open position? Kind of reminds me of the exhaust shutters on my Hellcat , when I installed the aftermarket exhaust I had to add an adapter to eliminate the open close valve function this removed the check engine light and it never came back on.
Then you'd get a fault light because it doesn't "open". It would be nice to have a procedure to force the shutters to open (without damaging them) by the side of the road, so you aren't left stranded.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
You would think.

This has to be an issue that Toyota is planning to deal with at some point, it sucked being without my truck for 3 weeks, even though I had a '24 Tundra Limited as a loaner vehicle.

They kept your vehicle while they waited for a replacement part? That's crazy. My dealership made me pick mine up immediately because god forbid they'd have to give me a loner or rent out a vehicle for me. They'll do anything not to have to give a loner.
Sponsored