Sponsored

Hard-shell RTTs

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I have finally secured my Tacoma TRD Off-Road after waiting for the redesign for the past 3-4 years, then searching this year for the exact build I wanted. Next on the list is an RTT. My criteria have been as follows:
  • Needs to fit on a short bed; no extension over cab nor over rear bumper (garage limitations)
  • Hard shell; no fabric-only pop-up tents
My searches have led me to the iKamper Skycamp Mini 3.0. Spendy, yes - but quality and proximity to their headquarters in WA.

However, I have never been completely sold on keeping an RTT on the truck year-round. Primarily due to the additional wear-and-tear on the truck from the added weight as well as the reduced utility of the truck bed due to having a RTT on a short bed rack.

Enter the next phase: seriously considering an overlanding-style trailer. Start with something relatively barebones; a simple 5x9 trailer. Pros are no year-long wear and tear on the truck, trailer would be stored in the garage, and perhaps the leading factor: I'd have the trailer as my designated camping setup while keeping the everyday truck setup clean (think pavement princess).

An overlanding trailer opens up the possibilities for RTTs. I still want a hard shell tent, but the additional size of the trailer means I could look at a wedge-style RTT...likely lowering the cost from the iKamper model.

All that to say: I'm curious what RTTs you all are running. Specifically hard-shell/wedge-style RTTs. Honest pros/cons, etc. Also open to any feedback about my thought process above. Been dwelling on this for a while.
Sponsored

sugammadex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD PRO
I just purchased the iKamper DLX mini for my TRD Pro. It’s going to be mounted on the Yakima Skyline towers + HD bar. The RTT will be on for camping trips and will be stored via garage hoist. I choose that combo because of the RTT being relatively light (140lbs) and the Yakima system can easily be taken off with the locks.

infantry317

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
I would get a used iKamper Mini 2.0. In the 3.0 they took the clear windows out. I have a 1.0 Skycamp with 2.0 canvas and have been very happy with it.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I can't quite imagine dealing with a ladder at zero-dark-thirty. But perhaps that's just me.

2024 Tacoma Hard-shell RTTs VCJMAoX

2024 Tacoma Hard-shell RTTs Rqn0ZtX

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport 4X4 Longbed Premium
Using a 12’ Aliner Off Road… setup takes 30 seconds . . . all hard sided 🤗

2024 Tacoma Hard-shell RTTs IMG_4698

We store the trailer in our garage 🏚

Sponsored

Comma Chameleon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
2024 Tacoma Hard-shell RTTs PXL_20240816_224544677

I was in your shoes looking for a RTT except I don't have the option to easily store a trailer so I needed to find one that checked all the boxes.

-No over hang on a 5ft bed
-Hard shell style with optional crossbars to mount other stuff on top
-Minimal extension above my roof rack

Being in Canada also adds the complication of expensive shipping and duty costs so I ended up with the Go Overland Expedition Mini.

https://gooverland.ca/collections/rooftop-tents/products/xpedition-mini

The tent came with a lot of extras that cheaper tents didn't so the price seemed fair and the quality now that I have it setup is really good.

The tent is mounted on a Sherpa mid height bed rack and roof rack is also Sherpa.

OP
OP

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
PXL_20240816_224544677.jpg

I was in your shoes looking for a RTT except I don't have the option to easily store a trailer so I needed to find one that checked all the boxes.

-No over hang on a 5ft bed
-Hard shell style with optional crossbars to mount other stuff on top
-Minimal extension above my roof rack

Being in Canada also adds the complication of expensive shipping and duty costs so I ended up with the Go Overland Expedition Mini.

https://gooverland.ca/collections/rooftop-tents/products/xpedition-mini

The tent came with a lot of extras that cheaper tents didn't so the price seemed fair and the quality now that I have it setup is really good.

The tent is mounted on a Sherpa mid height bed rack and roof rack is also Sherpa.
Interesting - thanks for sharing. Do you have any more pictures you can spend? Would be interested in the RTT closed, specifically.

Comma Chameleon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
Interesting - thanks for sharing. Do you have any more pictures you can spend? Would be interested in the RTT closed, specifically.
This was the only closed image I have and It's currently open and airing out in the driveway but I can get a few more if you are intrested later. There is a decent amount of height still left in the bed even with a mid height rack, I was worried about having to unmount this all the time (180lbs so I need a helper) but so far I don't see the need.
2024 Tacoma Hard-shell RTTs PXL_20240816_224603331

2024 Tacoma Hard-shell RTTs Messenger_creation_E8A6CCE8-2336-4BDA-A195-0611AB8176E6
Sponsored