Sponsored

alkregha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport (in production)
Anyone have any experience with the various Heritage grille options out there? Digging around on google I found a few OEM sources:
I also found a few aftermarket options that combine some other color combinations and built in raptor lights:
I have a silver TRD Sport. I think I would prefer silver lettering (although the bronze might look cool), but I also want the matte/satin finish to match my other grill/truck plastic. OEM doesn't seem to support that combo, but the aftermarkets do.

Any thoughts/experience?
Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
I like the Rave option as they look like they have figured out the camera option and have different light options.

There was somewhere a thread of a guy that did it all on his own and 3D printed the camera bracket however he learned from his trouble that the camera view was inverted so he needed to fix something. I am not 100% certain but I know it wasn't a simple plug and play mod.

OP
OP

alkregha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I like the Rave option as they look like they have figured out the camera option and have different light options.

There was somewhere a thread of a guy that did it all on his own and 3D printed the camera bracket however he learned from his trouble that the camera view was inverted so he needed to fix something. I am not 100% certain but I know it wasn't a simple plug and play mod.
I made both an inverted and a non-inverted option. Originally I went with a non-inverted option, but noticed that the image was slightly skewed and didn't line up perfectly. When doing the calibrations, I realized that there was an inverted option in the ECU - which I later learned is actually the proper orientation for the heritage grill per Toyota. I have that all documented in another thread.

So I made also an inverted option as well, and reprogrammed my ECU to think it has the heritage grill, mostly just for instructional/learning purposes. I personally feel like this led to a better line-up of the surround-view image with little calibration necessary, most likely due to the smaller angle the camera mounts at in the inverted position.

But this whole process is not necessary - I'm certain that Rave's bracket will have the same result as my non-inverted, no-programming option (the file I posted in the other thread).

OP
OP

alkregha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah this was really great work. Which makes the Rave option the "known good" option... but also the priciest. It also doesn't have color combo I prefer, mostly because that isn't an OEM choice. Wondering if anyone has taken a punt on one of the aftermarket solutions yet. The price, color combo, and built in brackets / lighting seem like a nice compromise.

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Also, for obvious reasons - Yota Garage / Rave don't share the OEM part numbers for the Heritage grill.

But these can be purchased via any Toyota dealer - I didn't even have an issue with the parts being VIN locked.

TRD Pro Grill : 53101-AK060
Trailhunter Grill : 53101-AK070

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
I have the RAVE kit for Heritage TH grill + 18" Diode Dynamics light bar sitting in their box here waiting for my truck to finish its journey. I'll then be able to see how much my Limited Hybrid differs from @Gurvy522 's Limited in terms of supports and wiring, etc. Fun part... they said instructions would be included, but there are none in the box... (I explicitly asked about wiring instructions being included and was told "yes")... I'll be following up when I know my truck is imminent to my doorstep.

For timeline reference on my RAVE order:
placed = 07/24
shipped = 08/19 [~3.5wks later]
delivered = 08/26 [1wk later]

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Also, for obvious reasons - Yota Garage / Rave don't share the OEM part numbers for the Heritage grill.

But these can be purchased via any Toyota dealer - I didn't even have an issue with the parts being VIN locked.

That's because many of these places are buying up the OEM grills and jacking the prices up and they don't want you to know how much you're overpaying vs going straight to the source -- a dealer. Which usually has free shipping over $75. And a few times a year has 25% off with free shipping.

So every time someone buys it from a secondary source, they're actually promoting this type of price gouging behavior.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
That's because many of these places are buying up the OEM grills and jacking the prices up and they don't want you to know how much you're overpaying vs going straight to the source -- a dealer. Which usually has free shipping over $75. And a few times a year has 25% off with free shipping.

So every time someone buys it from a secondary source, they're actually promoting this type of price gouging behavior.
Not exactly price gouging. You of course can do all the work to draw, create and source a camera bracket. You can also do the work of sourcing and figuring out the wiring and the brackets for the different light bar options. All that work doesn’t come free. It isn’t like they are buying all the grilles and literally turning around selling them for a lot more Just as they bought them. That would be price gouging. They are offering a retrofit kit/service. If you are offended feel free to hustle and create your own like the OP did actually doing all the work himself.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max

It's a double edge sword in some cases.
I did the math of ordering each part individually (grill, light bar, wiring harness, camera bracket, dash button) and when I added in shipping charges and taxes, I was within a minimal $$ difference of just sourcing it all from them as one kit - and having the necessary mounting brackets for the light bar rather than having to fabricate the camera mount or the brackets myself (I don't have a 3d printer like Gurvy does). So the delta in total cost was small enough that the hassle of ordering as a bundle from a single place was the winner.

... that said... YotaGarage is nothing but a gouge house on their pricing. Everything is 2-3x what it should be and even way above Toyota SRP.

Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I think all the prices are insane for a peice of moulded plastic and a small light bar lol. I'll be running my OEM grille until I can find a TRD Pro in a parts u pick scrapyard.

I can think of 100 different aftermarket parts I'd rather spend that kind've money on.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150

Has anyone bought one of these parts? Does it come with the camera bracket?

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
It doesn't. If you've got a 3D printer, I have the file posted in a different thread.
I do have a printer, and found your files. Thank you! So, just to be clear... If I bought a Trailhunter grill using the above Toyota Part numbers, printed the brackets (probably have the light bar cut like you did from steel) and wired it to my Aux Switch I should be good to go? Heretic sells the same light bar as Rave for $499 instead of $719. Granted, you get a button and wiring (which I don't need because I'm going to use AUX) and brackets, but I could almost do the entire package for the same price? Seems too good to be true :). What filament would you recommend for the camera? I have tons of PLA+ but I'm afraid of the heat that close to the radiator.

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I do have a printer, and found your files. Thank you! So, just to be clear... If I bought a Trailhunter grill using the above Toyota Part numbers, printed the brackets (probably have the light bar cut like you did from steel) and wired it to my Aux Switch I should be good to go? Heretic sells the same light bar as Rave for $499 instead of $719. Granted, you get a button and wiring (which I don't need because I'm going to use AUX) and brackets, but I could almost do the entire package for the same price? Seems too good to be true :). What filament would you recommend for the camera? I have tons of PLA+ but I'm afraid of the heat that close to the radiator.

Heh, it's not really too good to be true. It's amazing how much you can save if you're not paying someone's marketing overhead.

Nonetheless, I'd recommend a high-temp filament. ABS works fine but you could also use PA6 or ASA. I wouldn't recommend PLA.

For the brackets, I do recommend metal but in theory I'd think it would be safe to print if you used Nylon or reinforced ABS (solid infill) and made them thicker. The only downside to that is the button screws that come with the lightbar are a bit short and you'd need to replace those with longer ones if you printed the bracket thicker - probably would recommend 3/16-1/4 if you want that route.

But maybe the forum should start a community group buy on the metal brackets. If you managed to get at least 4 other people in you could save another 30% or so if you ordered from SCS.
Sponsored