Sponsored

I don’t understand the hype

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
What engine lag?
This may be a specific issue with your truck. I have a TRD OR and am impressed with the lack of any lag (I actually think the truck is quick and fun to drive/punch it).

I am wondering if your truck may have an issue that is causing engine lag, because this seems unusual.
I have to agree. The truck gets to ticket speeds quicker than I expect. I often find myself over and have to lift if I’m not watching my acceleration. Also, I easily get 22 average with 75/25 town/hwy driving. No complaints. Also agree, ignore the gas gauge when it bottoms out and do the math. 20 x 18 =360. Maybe fill up at 340.
Sponsored

AKYLEP

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
The hype around Tacomas has been earned. They have been great trucks for a long time and we buy them because of it. My last one was a Gen 2.5 with 180k miles, no real issues. Drove it daily for 10 years. It took me up some amazing trails. Resale value is another reason we buy these trucks. People are paying 20-25k for a 2014 Tacoma TRD OR with some mods. Thats pretty insane if you think about it. What other truck out there can say the same? The cup holders, we asked for them. I recently took it to CO. Off road every day of the trip. When you’re out for the day, those cup holders come in handy for empty containers, easy access for things you need on the trail, trash, etc. Pack it in, pack it out. Put the truck in sport mode, mine is very responsive, way more powerful than my 2.5 Gen. It more than proved itself on the roads I took. Coming out of a truck with no CarPlay, or any of the other tech developments in the last decade, it took me a whole to figure it all out, and some I am still figuring out. But I found its me, not the truck. Storage, not much different than my last Tacoma. Plenty of room, for jumper cables, recovery gear, straps, tools. And I put molle panels in the bed for the bigger recovery gear, gas cans, etc. Gas mileage, about the same as my last one. I didn’t buy the truck for gas mileage, would be nice to have better, but it doesn’t so it is what it is.

Everyone is different, so if it doesn’t work for you, sell it, trade it and get what suits you. Life is too short to drive a truck thats not for you.

Rozzi

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd sport
Just looking to see if anyone else has any of the same gripes but doesn’t seem to be so I guess it’s just me…

so first time tacoma owner, come from a long line of cars, suvs etc... my last car was luxury. very nice, vented and heated seats, great comfort great mpg but I will say. I have the trd sport and im in love.

Im about 45 days in but I love it and probably in a bit of honey moon phase so time will tell.

• acceleration is insanely fast on mine for this size of truck, so honestly I can't speak on that? unless you came from sports cars a quarter of the weight or something..
  • full gas tank = only 289 miles - this I do agree with. Pretty small gas tank maybe one of my bigger gripes. Get me atleast 350 or so.
  • 18 mpg not ideal - this one I 50/50. I average city around 18.4 and when in the country, mountains around 22.4 While not great, it is a truck and not a small truck or hybrid so if you want mpg and want a truck than maybe the hybrid ford maverick to get 55
  • No unlock button on tailgate - yea kinda weird but not a deal breaker
  • the wireless charging is slow but the wired charging is INSANELY fast being 45w or whatever.

for me my gripes I would add no locking gas tank door, kinda weird. My seats are electric and heated but its the TRD Sport.

I have had 0 software glitches, no audio issues, doors unlock very fast. I don't even keep a key fob anymore. I have the card key thing and just keep it in my wallet. I approach the door hold my hand on the handle and it unlocks.

to me the truck is very fast, love the interior, the tech and the storage. So many usb c ports and plugs (maybe too many lol)

For me the gas tank size, gas tank being open at all times is weird. I do agree all the door cubbies and storage are kinda weird and have weird approach angles but I also see the benefit for stuffing papers, tools, cords things you don't want to rattle around its perfect. I test drove a million 2024 trucks from a tiny maverick with 50 mpg to this, gmc, chevy and it depends on your lifestyle. Did some other trucks have FAR better off road options, driving mileage but the infotainment and interior looked like it came out of the early 2000s and to me I want tech, I want to enjoy my interior and newer features To some they could care less and want more of the "car" stuff. The 24 tacoma seems like a solid balance of finally adding tech as well as being able to do "truck" things.

Unfortunately in this market if you want insane performance, tech, practicality you're gonna have to spend 55k plus.

if you're having CarPlay tech issues id try resetting the software on the truck

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I think the best way to look at the taco’s price is to consider it a 35k truck with 4 years pandemic fueled inflation.

Airborne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4runner
First time Tacoma owner - I have the 4th gen sr5 double cab with 6 foot bed and I’m trying to love it but I hate it. So many things don’t make sense to me…

14 cup holders?

No (usable) interior storage - cubbies around gear shifter - shelf in front of passenger seat - door storage - all require tiny hands to slide in and grab anything with just fingertips - then the “secret” storage which is a aptly named because it’s a mystery to me as to what it’s for

Serious lag in acceleration - feels like it’s stuck in quicksand

full gas tank = only 289 miles

18 mpg not ideal

No unlock button on tailgate

Center console is very shallow for some reason as seems to be plenty of room to go deeper

Door lock lag - I can hit the button (indent) on door handle and sometimes locks right away, other times I’m several steps away and grabbing for the key fob before the button registers - sometimes it doesn’t lock at all

CarPlay/infotainment glitches - changes music source or turns off

Wireless charging barely keeps phone at starting battery level due to CarPlay and gps use

Manual seats on a 45k vehicle?

I know some of it is cosmetic but for the price I’m seriously disappointed in this truck. The answer I get for these things is along the lines of “new engine” or “new design” but regardless I don’t get why people love these trucks so much. Maybe it will grow on me but at just over 2,000 miles I’m ready to take the hit and get something else.
Anyone have anything to help talk me off the ledge?
So why the hell did you buy it in first place……

Sponsored

JaKOwNz7

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter
Sounds like you want a Ford Maverick. But on a serious note, you pay for what you get. I have the Trailhunter which came out to 70k out the door but I 100% love this truck.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
The music source switching is an Apple issue. If you unlock your iphone, many apps (including Facebook) will auto-switch the source to Carplay audio. Extremely annoying if you're listening to SirusXM. I've been looking for a way to disable this, but so far, haven't found one. FYI.
Sponsored