Sponsored

Is the 4th gen Shark Fin just for satellite radio?

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Hey folks! Does anyone know if the shark fin for the 4th gen is just satellite radio? (Not talking about the three fin fancy towing one just the normal fin)

I’m looking to put a lightweight camper shell on the back — maybe around Aug/Sep — and if I can shave an inch or two off the overall height and reduce that cabover gap by removing the shark fin and putting an auxiliary satellite radio antenna on the hood… that would be amazing. I’m just worried about if there are other important things in there that could get messed up with a potential delete.

alternatively is anyone with a 3D printer game to explore an idea of maybe printing a stubbier replacement fin to shrink the height? Or know of any shops that are considering manufacturing one? I sadly don’t have a printer of my own — though that might not stop me from opening blender and fiddling around when the time comes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Bumping this cus I think it got lost in the sauce 🙃. Anyone hear anything about antenna delete kits or some sorta shorter 3d printed housing being made to flatten it closer to the cab body?

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
alternatively is anyone with a 3D printer game to explore an idea of maybe printing a stubbier replacement fin to shrink the height? Or know of any shops that are considering manufacturing one? I sadly don’t have a printer of my own — though that might not stop me from opening blender and fiddling around when the time comes.
If you sort out what can be done and model a replacement, I'm happy to print some prototypes for you. But honestly, I'd check out reddit and/or facebook for local 3d printer enthusiasts because no new design ever fits perfectly on the first try so having someone local you can do a couple iterations with will be a lot easier.

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
If you sort out what can be done and model a replacement, I'm happy to print some prototypes for you. But honestly, I'd check out reddit and/or facebook for local 3d printer enthusiasts because no new design ever fits perfectly on the first try so having someone local you can do a couple iterations with will be a lot easier.
Word. Thanks!

I know a couple guys through work who’d prob be into figuring this out with me. We 3d print a lot for my job but it’s mostly sourced to local vendors

I was sniffing around the oem parts site this morning too because the fancier shark fins can’t always be flattened because there’s more under there than a flat circuit board with some chips — so some of this is also me needing to figure out what the substructure is for the new gen/if this is even possible like it was on the older models.

nicholo85

First Name
nicholo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
Hey OP. Wondering if you ever found a solution to the sharkfin. I'm in the same boat as you. I want to put a hardshell tent on a bed rack and would love to shave off 2 inches on the height. That sharkfin is just in the way!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Hey OP. Wondering if you ever found a solution to the sharkfin. I'm in the same boat as you. I want to put a hardshell tent on a bed rack and would love to shave off 2 inches on the height. That sharkfin is just in the way!
Nothing yet. Sorry!!

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
I have a Lone Peak Overland camper shell on order. They have a "dust killer" vent built into the camper that is supposed to provide positive air pressure in the shell and help prevent dust from coming in.

For this conversation though the point is that Lone Peak positions the vent over the shark fin antenna so the shell can sit down further. Basically, modify the shell rather than the truck. You can see the vent at the ~1:10 minute in this video.

Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
Hey folks! Does anyone know if the shark fin for the 4th gen is just satellite radio? (Not talking about the three fin fancy towing one just the normal fin)

I’m looking to put a lightweight camper shell on the back — maybe around Aug/Sep — and if I can shave an inch or two off the overall height and reduce that cabover gap by removing the shark fin and putting an auxiliary satellite radio antenna on the hood… that would be amazing. I’m just worried about if there are other important things in there that could get messed up with a potential delete.

I’m in the same boat. Have a Kimbo camper and need that few inches for the cab over section of the camper.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I’m stoked my GFC that’s coming has the extra 2-3” over the cab to clear the fin / I get a taller shell. I’ll take it, do a bit of stealth camping in the winter so I need the extra height. They’re developing wind foils, testing one for the rivian r1t but I plan to run a shortened Cali-raised roof rack that spoilers a set of lights, and mounted behind that will be a shower tank, foiling the GFC’s RTT

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I believe it's used for the radio, GPS, and cellular. It's multiple elements within a single enclosure.

aprentice8686

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road long bed premium Undergro
I'm interested in this as well. I have a 6.5 foot Tuff Stuff hardshell tent going on a 6 foot bed. That shark fin is in the way.

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I thought there were differences for example some have a single fin and other trims have 3 fins depending on if you got the MTM. I thought some of the cameras and maybe other options communicate via the fins. I could be wrong but I remember some video out there explaining it.

dougthescience

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Offroad
I'm interested in the Kimbo camper as well, and have a shark fin antenna that would hit the bottom of the overhang. Rick, did you find any solutions yet?

I emailed Kimbo and they don't really seem that interested in coming up with a solution for the 2024s at this point. I'd love to find a shorter replacement for the shark fin or at the very least move the fin inside the dashboard and buy some sort of cover for the roof antenna hole.

Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
I have not found a solution yet. Hopefully some inventive person reads this thread and wants to capitalize off 3D printing a flat replacement!
Sponsored