Manufacturing Debris - Engine Oil Change @ 2378 Miles

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
This is just an update from my previous change @ 1000 miles. I will note that I specificlly cleaned my oil pan and drained the engine oil from the pan prior to changing the oil filter. With that said, there was no manufacturing debris in the engine oil, rather it came from the oil filter. The next oil change/filter is @ 5K miles. Below are photos of the oil pan before starting and then with the filter change oil. I didn't take any photos of the engine oil from the oil pan since it was perfectly clean with no debris.

2024 Tacoma Manufacturing Debris - Engine Oil Change @ 2378 Miles IMG_4396

2024 Tacoma Manufacturing Debris - Engine Oil Change @ 2378 Miles IMG_4399

2024 Tacoma Manufacturing Debris - Engine Oil Change @ 2378 Miles IMG_4400

2024 Tacoma Manufacturing Debris - Engine Oil Change @ 2378 Miles IMG_4401
Sponsored

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Rather than fuss with this, just do a UOA at the first oil change for baseline and another one or two changes later to see any trends.

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground
Do oil testing. I know Amsoil has kits you can buy and will show result over time. As a diesel Tech we do oil testing on everything including power steering, trans, and coolant. You need a base line then you can see from there

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
I didnt see any in mine at 1k, but the oil analysis indicated break in metals (and very high silicon), so it’s good to change your oil early and often.

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I didnt see any in mine at 1k, but the oil analysis indicated break in metals (and very high silicon), so it’s good to change your oil early and often.

I agree. I've always been a fan of that. I didn't bother with the analysis, but will do so starting with the 5K change. As for shavings in the metal, I've seen that in the past on some of the motorcycles I've owned. In particular, I remember this being a bit of a thing with the Japanese bikes, but I've seen it with other manufacturers as well. As for vehicles, I don't recall seeing this much with most of the vehicles I've owned over the years, but I won't say it didn't happen. Just nothing stands out and my memory isn't the greatest anymore. I am a bit surprised as to how much debris is in this engine. I doubt that the engine is having issues, but I feel these blocks aren't cleaned as well as they could be after the machining processes due to the amount of shavings I'm seeing. Maybe that's just my engine, but I have no clue since none of us are privy to all the inside information.
Sponsored