2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
I removed the rubber plug under the air box- then blocked the outlet to the RAI, that all but eliminated the noise from the RAI
You don't happen to have any pics of what you did do you? I honestly have no idea how the intake works and don't currently have the truck to mess with while it gets the springs installed. I assume RAI is short raised air intake? In doing that is that not impacting the air flow? Again, pardon my ignorance but I haven't had a chance to dig into that at all. The truck has been away more than it has been in my garage since I've owned it haha.
Sponsored

Brian2011

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trail hunter
You don't happen to have any pics of what you did do you? I honestly have no idea how the intake works and don't currently have the truck to mess with while it gets the springs installed. I assume RAI is short raised air intake? In doing that is that not impacting the air flow? Again, pardon my ignorance but I haven't had a chance to dig into that at all. The truck has been away more than it has been in my garage since I've owned it haha.
By removing the rubber plug on the bottom of the TH intake and blocking the RAI output it makes the intake like every other Tacoma intake, and the angle of the air intake there won't be any risk of water as its angled downward and protected inside the engine compartment. I am sure at some point there will be a delete kit but if you're not water crossing or severe dirt driving its perfectly fine this way, another option is to just remove the rubber plug and not block the RAI intake this also reduces the Nosie, but does not eliminate it.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Very minimal trimming. The shop showed me what he cut off and it was a tiny amount. Yes stock suspension. I am sure I’ll need a beefier rear spring when it’s built (in the next few weeks) but they don’t exist yet.

Rack is the Up Top Overland Kilo rack. See page 2 of this thread for some more pics and details.
Did you have to remove the crash pad

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Quick update. I just got the first "fun: mod done today. Bigger tires. I went with the Falken AT4 in a 295 x 70 x 18 which is 34.26 compared to a true 35. The shop confirmed with pictures (one below) that it will in fact fit underneath. I only bought 4 initially to make sure it fit and now bought the 5th and will have them put on next week when I get back from having the Lone Peak installed. It does hang down a bit further so a bit more chance to rub it, but shouldn't be too bad. With that size spare it's pretty closer to the Panhard bar, but it still clears it. Pics don't do it justice, but it looks sick now and a hell of a lot meaner than the factory tires. I posted a few vantage points, but even the side profile you can tell they do not really poke out anymore. They fill in the wheel well more and look good.

I can also confirm that the tires that come on it are super wimpy. They are very flimsy and you can easily push in the sidewall. They definitely look more aggressive than they actually are. If you are planning to do any real off-roading I would highly recommend at a minimum changing out for a better tire.

IMG_4379.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4376.jpeg

IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4380.jpeg

Spare .jpg

These looks so excellent. Did the shop remove that front crash pad? What was trimmed exactly ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These looks so excellent. Did the shop remove that front crash pad? What was trimmed exactly ?
The shop removed part of the crash pad. Trimming wise it was literally a few slivers. He showed me the trimmings and it was almost comical. If you turn the steering wheel all the way one direction you'll see where it is closest to the painted part of the bumper. That is where they trimmed. You wouldn't be able to tell unless I pointed it out to you. Very minor things to fit a bigger tire and well worth it in my opinion.

If you want some pics shoot me a note and I'll take some when I get the truck back either later today or Monday.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By removing the rubber plug on the bottom of the TH intake and blocking the RAI output it makes the intake like every other Tacoma intake, and the angle of the air intake there won't be any risk of water as its angled downward and protected inside the engine compartment. I am sure at some point there will be a delete kit but if you're not water crossing or severe dirt driving its perfectly fine this way, another option is to just remove the rubber plug and not block the RAI intake this also reduces the Nosie, but does not eliminate it.
So to access the rubber plug do I pull the cap off the bottom of the RAI on the exterior and access from there? In other words the piece that was apparently the hold up for QC issues. Or is that done under the hood? I'll take a look when I get the truck back this afternoon as well.

Brian2011

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trail hunter
So to access the rubber plug do I pull the cap off the bottom of the RAI on the exterior and access from there? In other words the piece that was apparently the hold up for QC issues. Or is that done under the hood? I'll take a look when I get the truck back this afternoon as well.
No, there's a rubber plug under the hood attached to the air box, looking at it directly behind the headlight

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, there's a rubber plug under the hood attached to the air box, looking at it directly behind the headlight
Ahhh gotcha, thanks. I will try that out.

Since there is already a cutout on the exterior of the truck for the RAI I wouldn't mind either keeping it or getting a true snorkel *if there was a way for it to remain functional while dramatically reducing the noise. I am assuming the aftermarket is already working on some solutions.
Sponsored