Need help deciding between Sport or Offroad

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Tacoma
I just filed for lemon law on my '24 GMC Canyon AT4, so hoping they buy it back. If so, I was considering switching to a Tacoma.

1. My main question is how necessary is the Locking Rear Diff? I live in Florida so the only off-roading I am able to do is dirt/sandy trails. I actually just got my '24 Canyon but haven't got it on the trails yet so I'm not even sure if the locking rear diff on that truck was needed lol. I am new to off-roading.

2. Does the TRD Offroad sit any higher/have a lift compared to the TRD Sport?

3. My budget is around $46-50K before tax, title, tags and it seems like a TRD Offroad is around 50-55K. Most of the ones around me all come with extra Port Install Options (which in my opinion are overpriced, like phone charging cables, OEM Side Steps, first aid kits, black exhaust tip and tailgate lettering, etc. All this probably totals like $1500 but they add like $3500 for all of it). Is there any tips on how to find a Tacoma what doesn't have these overpriced added options?

4. What package comes with the full 360 camera? Is that available on the TRD Sport?

5. How comfortable are the cloth seats in these trucks? I've driven a '24 Tundra with cloth seats that they are somewhat uncomfortable.

If this helps any, my needs are:
4x4
Double Cab
14in Display
Powered Driver Seat
Locking Rear???

And my wants:
Leather
Cooled Seats
360 Camera
Sponsored

NewtoToyota

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD Sport
To answer the first question, the locker isn't really needed in Florida but it isn't a bad thing to have. I am originally from FL and that's where I got into off-roading with jeeps. Very few spots I actually had to use lockers.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the sport and OR sit at the same height and you don't get any lift unless moving up to TH or Pro.

I think you can get the 360 cameras on the sport but it may have fewer views than the OR. Again, someone can correct me if I am wrong on this.

So to fit your needs I believe you should be able to find an OR or sport just over the $50k mark. To add your wants I believe you need to get the premium upgrade package which IRC is about $9k add on.

Edit: If you wanna have some fun and test the 4x4 capabilities, head up to Hard Rock in Ocala!

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I was in the same boat as you are, trying to decide between the lower trims and the Offroad (HALOs weren't out when I had to buy).

What ultimately made me decide to go with the Offroad was the extra off road capability if I needed it and the softer suspension (I don't want a harsh or stiff ride).

Also, I just moved from FL and you may want to do some research and look at dealers in other states to save some money. All Southeast Toyota dealers generally add a $700-800 charge. Plus FL generally tries to screw their customers with a ton of high fees.

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
Cooled seats are only available on the Premium package suckily.
But the OR has "better" shocks. Sport suspension is stiffer for road driving. I would say you get more the OR for bit more in price. Also know my salesman mentioned the OR has less wiggle room than the Sport so you have more room to negotiate on price FWIW.

Personally I went with the OR for more features even though I will mainly be on the road. There's a lot of hate for the scoop but I personally like it but I'm a Subaru guy lol

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
OR for me.
More capable
Better ride (less harsh)
Damn hood scoop

jmasters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma TRD offroad
FWIW, I think the premium package is def worth it. Leatherette seats are great, and ventilation actually works pretty well--I noticed on a longer drive the other day. Also, the various cameras and assists that come with it are really useful if you're operating in a tight spot on or offroad. Plus if someone else (i.e. the wife) needs to drive it, its easier for them and there is reduced chance they bang it up. I sound like salesman now, but the removable JBL speaker is pretty handy as well. The auto tailgate is nice but sort of an unnecessary convenience, I think.

macbrun

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Frontier
Useful thread for me as well. I will be using the Taco 99% on road so was leaning toward the Sport. The information above is pushing me toward the OR now. I definitely am getting the ventilated seats (I'm not in FL, but coastal SC which can be as warm and I have family in FL too). This is a great forum. Never having owned a Toyota, let alone a Tacoma I am learning a lot.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Don't listen to these people what you really need is a Limited...

On a more serious note; I want to know what's up with the AT4?

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
Same ^^^
I was -----l l-----this close to getting a ZR2.
And as for the ventilated seats - 100%. It's still 105-110 in Vegas and the seats are really helpful.

Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I just filed for lemon law on my '24 GMC Canyon AT4, so hoping they buy it back. If so, I was considering switching to a Tacoma.

1. My main question is how necessary is the Locking Rear Diff? I live in Florida so the only off-roading I am able to do is dirt/sandy trails. I actually just got my '24 Canyon but haven't got it on the trails yet so I'm not even sure if the locking rear diff on that truck was needed lol. I am new to off-roading.

2. Does the TRD Offroad sit any higher/have a lift compared to the TRD Sport?

3. My budget is around $46-50K before tax, title, tags and it seems like a TRD Offroad is around 50-55K. Most of the ones around me all come with extra Port Install Options (which in my opinion are overpriced, like phone charging cables, OEM Side Steps, first aid kits, black exhaust tip and tailgate lettering, etc. All this probably totals like $1500 but they add like $3500 for all of it). Is there any tips on how to find a Tacoma what doesn't have these overpriced added options?

4. What package comes with the full 360 camera? Is that available on the TRD Sport?

5. How comfortable are the cloth seats in these trucks? I've driven a '24 Tundra with cloth seats that they are somewhat uncomfortable.

If this helps any, my needs are:
4x4
Double Cab
14in Display
Powered Driver Seat
Locking Rear???

And my wants:
Leather
Cooled Seats
360 Camera
A Sport wheel size is plenty fine for how many only go off road occasionally, same for not having a locker, and the wheel size might be preferable if you want road manners from the tires less bouncy. I was not a fan of fake hood scoops but thought trying them was nice.

My choice of OR and long bed were driven by function and business needs. I'm not a 4x4 hobbyist but do trail crew, building and ski area crew. That can honestly need the locker rear.

We seriously disliked the fancy versions with cameras all over but for sure liked the superior seating all the models "upgrade" or "premium" packages. My wife disliked the premium seats many holes from bad memories of that in a vehicle with little kids which was funny.

Look up the Kiss My Gritts app and learn to use the Toyota site to know what they're actually building and where you can get them.

macbrun

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Frontier
Same ^^^
And as for the ventilated seats - 100%. It's still 105-110 in Vegas and the seats are really helpful.
I just test drove a ZR2 on Monday and liked it... but not $54K liked it. Plus, the classic GM hard plastic door and dash pieces cheapen the feeling when buying a vehicle for over half a hundred thousand bucks.

OP
OP
Delta1Seven

Delta1Seven

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Tacoma
Don't listen to these people what you really need is a Limited...

On a more serious note; I want to know what's up with the AT4?
Same ^^^

Buckle up, this will be a long one.

I initially purchased a '24 Tundra back in February. I was thrilled, but the transmission failed after just 150 miles (48 hours after driving it off the lot). I owned it for 65 days, and Toyota had it for 58 of those days due to a backordered transmission. Thankfully, Toyota bought it back. After reassessing my finances, I realized the Tundra was stretching my budget, so I opted for a midsize. The Colorado/Canyon lineup caught my eye, and I really liked the styling, so I went for it.

I’ve had my '24 Canyon AT4 for about 3.5 months now with around 2,900 miles on it, and it’s been plagued with issues:

- Headunit and gauge cluster goes black
- Clunking in suspension
- Steering Column Rattles
- Microphone makes a popping noise for people I'm on the phone with thru apple car play
- Wireless charger doesnt work (I think this is common among all brands lol)
- Windshield whistles (sounds like a kazoo)
- Blind Spot indicators flash randomly
- Power steering makes electric "hum" when turning

In the last 3.5 months, my truck has spent 54 days in service. My wife jokes that I’ve got bad luck with trucks, but from what I see in forums, many of these problems seem to be common for other owners too.

My biggest letdown has been the poor quality control. As a product developer for my day job, I spend a lot of time assessing design and functionality. While GM nails the aesthetics of the truck inside and out, living with it day-to-day has been disappointing. The leather feels flimsy, like it could rip with the slightest pressure, and the paint has noticeable drips along the edges of the body panels. Storage is practically non-existent. No garage door opener in a $50K+ truck. No form of lane centering.

What’s worse is GM’s customer service. I opened a case with corporate about the ongoing issues and repair attempts, and it’s been nothing but frustration. The case manager has been unhelpful—they haven’t reached out to the dealer once in the 60 days my case has been open. They say their policy is to notify the dealer through a portal but it doesn’t require the dealer to respond. All I get are weekly calls telling me they’ve “sent another notification” and are waiting for the dealer to contact me.

The dealership has been just as bad. They keep pushing back appointments, saying they’re waiting for their "master tech," and when my truck is finally in, they repeatedly fail to meet promised deadlines. Corporate claims they can’t do much because dealerships are privately owned, which I know is nonsense—they're a GMC dealer and definitely held to certain brand standards and policies.

To be fair, I wasn’t thrilled with Toyota's buyback process either, but at least I didn’t feel like I was getting the runaround. The case manager called the dealer for updates and followed up with me directly. GM, on the other hand, refuses to contact the dealer directly for updates, leaving me to constantly chase down service managers who never seem available or give me vague promises about when the truck will be done.

I will never own another GM again.

macbrun

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Frontier
Buckle up, this will be a long one.
I will never own another GM again.
Just sucks, man. Quite the adventure and a real shame about the Tundra. Toyota screwed up on that one. Your story beats mine about the driveshaft that fell off my 6 month old Grand Cherokee at a stop sign.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Appearance wise I think the Sport looks better due to the color keyed fender flares and hood scoop.

I ended up buying the Off Road trim because of the rear locker and off road modes.
Sponsored