OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue

Bob A

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter July 25 Purchase
The OEM roof rack that came on my new Trailhunter has the vibration problem others have posted about online. This basically makes my trunk undrivable above 60 miles per hour. It is so loud that you can't talk in the cabin and the radio is not loud enough to drown it out. The mirrors also shake so bad its hard to check for traffic.

I know the audio in the video probably doesn't seem like much but, it's the best I could capture while driving.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone got a fix for this? Does moving the cross bars to other locations help?

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Ah, the good 'ole stretch of I-90.

Maybe just try tightening up all the bolts/screws? But given that it's OEM and it came with your truck, I'd just take it to the dealership. It's on the sticker, it should be warrantied.

OP
OP

Bob A

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went back to the dealer and they made sure everything was up to torque. I really hope it becomes a warranty issue and they engineer a fix for this.

I found it interesting that on delivery there was torque safety paint on the ABR, but not on the roof rack.

2024 Tacoma OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue image

AKYLEP

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I had this problem too. I took the front shield and cross bar off the roof rack and beefed up the vibration isolators. The three little ones that come with the rack barely make contact with the front shield. I had a hard time finding replacements, so I went to Home Depot, bought some bigger rubber foot pads meant for furniture. I added two additional isolators too. Bolted them on with stainless hardware. Tested on the freeway to 90 and no more vibrations. Picture below of what I used. Also, used stainless 1/4 inch screws and locknuts.

2024 Tacoma OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue IMG_1400

OP
OP

Bob A

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@AKYLEP You sure did it. Thank you.

2024 Tacoma OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue IMG_3584

First problem I noticed is that my cross bar is cracked. I almost wonder if this is from the vibration. But good to know I have a pretty good warranty claim now.

I used this stuff--- Only needed the number 10 washers
2024 Tacoma OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue IMG_3585

To make these bumpers.

2024 Tacoma OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue IMG_3587

I also placed the neoprene washers between the metal. Sort of like this.

2024 Tacoma OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue IMG_3586

I also tested on highway speeds up to 90. Thanks again for solving my problem.

Sponsored

AKYLEP

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Glad it worked out for you too! I’m sure the crack came from the vibration. Mine was pretty violent.

hart24601

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 limited taco
Thank you for the fix. It was just horrid before. Nearly unbearable except for slowing down.

DrewRoss59

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
The OEM roof rack that came on my new Trailhunter has the vibration problem others have posted about online. This basically makes my trunk undrivable above 60 miles per hour. It is so loud that you can't talk in the cabin and the radio is not loud enough to drown it out. The mirrors also shake so bad its hard to check for traffic.

I know the audio in the video probably doesn't seem like much but, it's the best I could capture while driving.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone got a fix for this? Does moving the cross bars to other locations help?

Yes! I took it into the dealer and they acted like it was the snorkel. Duh. But I took a trip to MA and tried everything I could think of on the way. The only thing that worked was when I stuffed a big wool blanket in behind the windscreen (where the Toyota logo is). When I got back home, I found some plastic packing foam strips and stuffed them in there and it is fine. I’m going to let the dealer and Toyota know that they need to fix this the right way.

Another thing though. I bought the Roam 83L cases with the mounting brackets and they do not even come close to fitting on this roof rack. I can’t find any sort of mods for it either. Anyone with ideas on how to run vertical bars across these crossbars, or any system that would work on top of it, would be much appreciated.

ProjektZero

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma (4th gen)
Yes! I took it into the dealer and they acted like it was the snorkel. Duh. But I took a trip to MA and tried everything I could think of on the way. The only thing that worked was when I stuffed a big wool blanket in behind the windscreen (where the Toyota logo is). When I got back home, I found some plastic packing foam strips and stuffed them in there and it is fine. I’m going to let the dealer and Toyota know that they need to fix this the right way.

Another thing though. I bought the Roam 83L cases with the mounting brackets and they do not even come close to fitting on this roof rack. I can’t find any sort of mods for it either. Anyone with ideas on how to run vertical bars across these crossbars, or any system that would work on top of it, would be much appreciated.
only cases and mounts I have found that work with the oem rack are the pelican cases.

I also took the rack to the dealer and they said they were willing to swap it out with the prinsu pro rack. I do like the fixes proposed above though. I might try that but honestly the OEM rack is very limited with options so I might not bother and just wait till the dealer does the swap.

2024 Tacoma OEM Roof Rack Vibration Issue IMG_6905
Sponsored