Sponsored

Ordered my 1st ever Toyota - 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium, and starting to worry šŸ˜¬

nick776

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Sport Premium 4x4
TRD Sport Premium 4x4 in Bronze Oxide here, ZERO regrets. LOVE THE TRUCK.
Sponsored

Babe_in_the_Woods

First Name
Lucy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I had the same concerns and I come from a Gen 3 OR. Iā€™ve had my Pro for about 2 weeks now and I love it!! No complaints. Plenty of power for me. For the piece of mind, I bought the platinum warranty. Iā€™m not sure if those turbos will last 10 years. Just in case, Iā€™ll be covered. I donā€™t think youā€™ll be disappointed.
Do you think the turbo will last longer if it isnā€™t driven aggressively on a regular basis?

rkohlerbend

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 iForce Max Limited
First, thanks for reading this and I appreciate your advice and opinions in advance.

I ordered a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium in Black about 5 weeks ago ( Iā€™m in Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦ ) and I received a text from the dealership last week saying it will be in early next week!

Over the last 3-4 weeks I have spent so many hours researching and watching YouTube on the 4th Gen Tacomaā€™s because Iā€™m excited that itā€™s bordering insanity. Seriously, my wife thinks Iā€™ve lost my mind lolHaving never owned a Toyota in my life, 2 years ago I bought a Mini Cooper Countryman that has given me nothing but issues since the day I bought it. Being a carpenter, I need a truck ( I know I know, why buy the Mini Cooper !?!? It was an impulse buy. Trust me Iā€™ve learned my lesson ).

I asked so many people about trucks and everyone kept saying ā€œ get a Tacoma ā€œ ā€¦ so after ( as I said above ) researching my brains out, I ordered one.

Now over the last few weeks I have seen more hate for Toyota Tacomaā€™s and ā€œ never buy this truck ā€œ videos than I could have imagined. A stark contrast to everyone saying ā€œ The Tacoma is one of the best trucks ever built ā€œ opinions I was being given. I understand click bait videos, but there seem to be so many! Itā€™s making me really nervous after the last 2 years of dealing with such a piece of crap vehicle.

I guess Iā€™m just looking for feedback from people who own a 2024, or may have more insight into this on practically the eve of spending 60k on a truck I was really excited for.

So once again, thank you everyone who spends the time to write, I will take everything being said from long time Toyota customers serious and appreciate the help.

PS : seriously, never ever buy a Mini Cooper Countryman ā€¦ like, ever.
The web is driven by negativity. If there was anything to all those negative "reviews" the mainstream automotive press would be on it.

Duck Amuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road/17 MINI Cooper Clubman S
I honestly think TFL had an issue, that video got a ton of views, so all the other You Tubers decided the way to get clicks was to point of every single flaw.
Negativity sells. Disney just released a new Star Wars show and certain corners of the internet are up in ARMS about it. Meanwhile, it's like the most-streamed Star Wars show and has gotten rave reviews.

I remember when Google's informal motto was "don't be evil". The way the algorithm works these days, I think they've left that in the dust.

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime ā†’ '24 TRD OR or Sport
Well, I agree with your point, but that show is terrible, and it has a 2.5 out of 10 on IMDB šŸ˜‚. I didn't like The Mandalorian either, but I could understand why some people did. I find The Acolyte unwatchable, but I'm glad you enjoy it. It would be a boring world if everyone felt every had to share their opinions on everything.

Sponsored

Afrinadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacome TRD OR Premium
I live in Canada too, picked up my TRD OR Premium on April 12 and have done about 6000Km so far. I just got back from a roadtrip yesterday and did a loop from the Fraser Valley in BC to Manning Park, up to Merritt and back down the Coquihalla (Where they film Highway Through Hell). I was also loaded to the limit. The truck was flawless and the fuel economy for the very mountainous terrain was impressive at around 11.8L/100Km which includes some very slow 20-30Km/hr driving.

It's also my first Toyota, bought the Platinum Warranty (well worth it for the cost), and have zero complaints with it.

I did have a warranty claim for a flat tire about 2 weeks after buying it and the service was really, really good!

Everyone here is right. Ignore the inflametory reviews on Youtube. I looked into the transmission concern when it came out for example. From what I could find out with around 47,000 Tacomas on the road accross North America, there were only 5 discrete confirmed cases of transmission failure.

This may be inacurate for all I know but even if the number is 500, it's still a very very small number considdering how many are on the road.

...just my 2cents

OP
OP

KRiMZoN

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium
I live in Canada too, picked up my TRD OR Premium on April 12 and have done about 6000Km so far. I just got back from a roadtrip yesterday and did a loop from the Fraser Valley in BC to Manning Park, up to Merritt and back down the Coquihalla (Where they film Highway Through Hell). I was also loaded to the limit. The truck was flawless and the fuel economy for the very mountainous terrain was impressive at around 11.8L/100Km which includes some very slow 20-30Km/hr driving.

It's also my first Toyota, bought the Platinum Warranty (well worth it for the cost), and have zero complaints with it.

I did have a warranty claim for a flat tire about 2 weeks after buying it and the service was really, really good!

Everyone here is right. Ignore the inflametory reviews on Youtube. I looked into the transmission concern when it came out for example. From what I could find out with around 47,000 Tacomas on the road accross North America, there were only 5 discrete confirmed cases of transmission failure.

This may be inacurate for all I know but even if the number is 500, it's still a very very small number considdering how many are on the road.

...just my 2cents
Thanks for the information and glad to hear the road trip was great. Iā€™m planning a drive from Ontario to BC next year

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
First, thanks for reading this and I appreciate your advice and opinions in advance.

I ordered a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium in Black about 5 weeks ago ( Iā€™m in Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦ ) and I received a text from the dealership last week saying it will be in early next week!

Over the last 3-4 weeks I have spent so many hours researching and watching YouTube on the 4th Gen Tacomaā€™s because Iā€™m excited that itā€™s bordering insanity. Seriously, my wife thinks Iā€™ve lost my mind lolHaving never owned a Toyota in my life, 2 years ago I bought a Mini Cooper Countryman that has given me nothing but issues since the day I bought it. Being a carpenter, I need a truck ( I know I know, why buy the Mini Cooper !?!? It was an impulse buy. Trust me Iā€™ve learned my lesson ).

I asked so many people about trucks and everyone kept saying ā€œ get a Tacoma ā€œ ā€¦ so after ( as I said above ) researching my brains out, I ordered one.

Now over the last few weeks I have seen more hate for Toyota Tacomaā€™s and ā€œ never buy this truck ā€œ videos than I could have imagined. A stark contrast to everyone saying ā€œ The Tacoma is one of the best trucks ever built ā€œ opinions I was being given. I understand click bait videos, but there seem to be so many! Itā€™s making me really nervous after the last 2 years of dealing with such a piece of crap vehicle.

I guess Iā€™m just looking for feedback from people who own a 2024, or may have more insight into this on practically the eve of spending 60k on a truck I was really excited for.

So once again, thank you everyone who spends the time to write, I will take everything being said from long time Toyota customers serious and appreciate the help.

well Iā€™m a real owner and mine needs a whole new real transmission. Had it for like a week. So thereā€™s that. Might be a fluke a lot of guys love the truck. I do like the truck a lot but thereā€™s that.

Afrinadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacome TRD OR Premium
well Iā€™m a real owner and mine needs a whole new real transmission. Had it for like a week. So thereā€™s that. Might be a fluke a lot of guys love the truck. I do like the truck a lot but thereā€™s that.
Yeah that really sucks! Hard to argue with first hand experience. I hope it's a one-time issue that's easily repaired and not too serious.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Do you think the turbo will last longer if it isnā€™t driven aggressively on a regular basis?
Toyota has been building them for forty years. Change your oil ever 5,000 and note the instructions in the manual about idling after putting it to the metal.

Duck Amuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road/17 MINI Cooper Clubman S
I ordered mine from Bison, about $700 delivered. Seems to be the best option here in Canada, so far at least. It should be here next week, I will report back once it's installed.
@KRiMZoN

Got my Bison cover installed. I'll take some pictures and do a proper review later on, but overall fairly happy. Installation was a bit frustrating and the included instructions are almost useless, but I expected that after reading some of the other reviews. Quality of the cover itself seems excellent, especially for the price, and shipping was very quick.

I need to make some minor adjustments, the installation relocates the factory tie down rails and now they block my 12V outlet. Wish I'd known that from the start, now I need to remove those rails to fix the problem.

But overall, for $720 shipped to my door, I am quite pleased. Looks fantastic and feels high quality.

EDIT: More impressions and photos here.
Sponsored

Last edited: