Pretty sure my 2nd transmission is going to fail

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@fightforfood247 Yeah - that is the problem. If these failures were reported by more people we would have a better idea of how often it is actually happening.

Unless it completely goes to hell like the Tundra engines we sure as hell won't hear it from Toyota.
Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
@fightforfood247 Yeah - that is the problem. If these failures were reported by more people we would have a better idea of how often it is actually happening.

Unless it completely goes to hell like the Tundra engines we sure as hell won't hear it from Toyota.
Seems that way, they are trying to sweep it under the rug I think at this point.,

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Some trannies have failed and not just a few early ones?

Holy Crap! We had no idea. :)

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Some trannies have failed and not just a few early ones?

Holy Crap! We had no idea. :)
It feels like the earlier ones have been better. There have been some of us with a decent amount of mileage since April that haven't had an issue. We didn't start hearing about these issues until the past few months. I'm still banking on casting debris rather than a design problem, but I guess time will tell. It would be interesting to know the build dates on those that have failed.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@bking there were some transmission failures early on, and Toyota decided they would just say they were only a few early QC failures. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

But as you said, more are turning up more recently, including a Pro at 243 freaking miles. So if it was early production sloppy casting, why did a truck built after five months of 4th gen production still have a total transmission failure, virtually right out of the box?

It doesn't give you much trust in any of the trucks until they tell us which ones they think will fail. I guarantee you that they know, but are reluctant to share with buyers..

Sponsored

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
@bking there were some transmission failures early on, and Toyota decided they would just say they were only a few early QC failures. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

But as you said, more are turning up more recently, including a Pro at 243 freaking miles. So if it was early production sloppy casting, why did a truck built after five months of 4th gen production still have a total transmission failure, virtually right out of the box?

It doesn't give you much trust in any of the trucks until they tell us which ones they think will fail. I guarantee you that they know, but are reluctant to share with buyers..
Yeah, I don't think the problem has resolved, or possibly it happened again. They use Aisen for their transmissions and they have a good reputation. Seems like there's been a bunch at relatively low miles which points to some kind of QC failure. I hope I'm out of the woods at 6200 miles, but i guess time will tell.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
We’re still waiting Toyota……, still waiting…. Way to leave your loyal customers wondering everyday …

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
So far, no one at the dealership or at toyota corporate have been able to provide me with an explanation as to what caused the failure, nor have they been able to provide me with any assurance that the replacement torque converter and transmission aren't going to suffer the same catastrophic failure again for the same exact reason.

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma Off-road

Toyota likely doesn’t want to release a VIN range. They are probably just watching to see how many failures crop up.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@SonoranSurvivalist I think they are just falling back on trusting in the original design, which might be fine, and hoping to have moved past the bad castings that cause this bs. Just like us, they are not doubt holding their breath and hoping there won't be many more dead transmissions.

Toyota is a very careful company and everything is documented to facilitate JIT manufacturing. That makes me think that they have a very good idea of at risk vin ranges and are holding back so they only have to deal with the ones that fail, like yours did. It is a lot cheaper for Toyota but makes a lot of us lose some confidence in them.

The fact that I might not be able to trust a new Toyota is totally new to me, and still a bit of a worry. My truck is finally almost here and I am wondering if I should test drive it before signing the papers.

As your your truck @SonoranSurvivalist I would think the odds are in your favor with a new transmission and one that was most likely build months after your first one. The number of failures are probably a really small percent compared to the number sold, so you really should be fine.

Good luck.

Sponsored

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
@TacoFreak yeah, as I told my buddies I'm moving forward with my plans for customizations as if this new transmission/torque converter are solid and will last the life of the truck. I don't see a reason to treat it like a complete lemon and dud just yet.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@SonoranSurvivalist You have a nice truck as a base for a cool build and I look forward to seeing where you take it.

When you look at the ordering guide you see that both the halos are derived directly from the Off-Road. It is just a matter of items added or removed to make it any of the higher trims. Doing your own build lets you create exactly the truck that you want.

There are so many possibilities. Have fun and don't worry. :cool:

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Hey brothas. So I have some updates which I will post when legal things subside on my end. No answers to anything. Just the end result of what I ended up doing. I bought my truck early on. I will say I have unearthed many more trans problems from people. Much more than what is on nhtsa. Keep yall posted. The only way thru is together

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Just a heads up - not trying to scare anyone, but...

I have been in a conversation with someone on another forum who drove 8 hours to Oregon to buy his TRD Pro. At 800 miles he got the dreaded "Hybrid System Malfunction" warning. Yep -another dead Tacoma transmission before 1k miles.

Still planning on buying my truck, but for the first time ever with questions about Toyota reliability.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Just a heads up - not trying to scare anyone, but...

I have been in a conversation with someone on another forum who drove 8 hours to Oregon to buy his TRD Pro. At 800 miles he got the dreaded "Hybrid System Malfunction" warning. Yep -another dead Tacoma transmission before 1k miles.

Still planning on buying my truck, but for the first time ever with questions about Toyota reliability.
Really sad this is still happening. The engineer Sheldon brown said it was a couple bad transmissions early on and it was taken care of. Clearly not the case
Sponsored