tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
If you are coming off the highway or hill climbing, DRIVE IT EASY for about a mile. Just keep the rpm’s up slightly and it will not go into hybrid mode. My understanding is that there is not a way to shut off the hybrid. Just don’t drive it in stop and go traffic or where there are stoplights if you are trying to cool the turbo. Not really hard to understand and your owners manual is a great resource.
That answer is both condescending and not really very good. It assumes that the Toyota engineers didn’t consider a way to let the turbos cool in the hybrid version—that they just said “fuck it, we need the engine to shut off in hybrid mode and to hell with the turbos—hopefully folks will just run the engine gently after high load and not let the engine shut off in hybrid mode”. Of course I could always follow that protocol which assumes that we have to find a way to let the turbos cool without the truck automatically shutting off the engine. But I find that answer to be ridiculous. What I’m curious about is how the engineers sorted this issue. Thanks for pointing me to the manual… lol. These kinds of answers are so obnoxious.
Sponsored

NCEngineer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@JustAnotherDingus No, there is no way to alter the stop/start in any 4th gen hybrid, even with a Carista. When the engine runs and when it shuts off is strictly under the control of the hybrid system.

When I let off the gas and coast to a stop the ICE shuts off immediately. As I am slowing down it uses regen to charge the traction battery. If I am just creeping forward it will remain off, but as soon as I give it much accelerator input it starts up again.

The first time I was stuck in a long line of stop and go traffic it would shut off at each stop and start backup when traffic moved. But after about 10 minutes of that it no longer shut off, probably because the battery was getting low. Then later it began shutting off again when the battery had recharged. It is much more complex and sophisticated than I expected.

It is so smooth and so seamless that I have stopped paying much attention to it and I just let Toyota's hybrid magic sort it all out.
You actually can force it to not turn off at idle. Turn on Tow/haul mode and it won’t shut off the ICE. Not saying you should do that. Just saying that’s one thing Tow/haul mode does.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
You actually can force it to not turn off at idle. Turn on Tow/haul mode and it won’t shut off the ICE. Not saying you should do that. Just saying that’s one thing Tow/haul mode does.
Thanks for that info - I did not know that. It isn't something that I would do on a regular basis but it makes sense when towing or hauling. It is just another sign that Toyota has this figured out with the hybrids and that it isn't something we need to worry about. Now if they could just get Aisin to build reliable transmissions we would be good to go.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
That answer is both condescending and not really very good. It assumes that the Toyota engineers didn’t consider a way to let the turbos cool in the hybrid version—that they just said “fuck it, we need the engine to shut off in hybrid mode and to hell with the turbos—hopefully folks will just run the engine gently after high load and not let the engine shut off in hybrid mode”. Of course I could always follow that protocol which assumes that we have to find a way to let the turbos cool without the truck automatically shutting off the engine. But I find that answer to be ridiculous. What I’m curious about is how the engineers sorted this issue. Thanks for pointing me to the manual… lol. These kinds of answers are so obnoxious.
CONDESCENDING?🤦‍♂️ LOL, okay snowflake ❄❄, grow a pair, Go read your manual and STFU🤡
Sponsored