Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
For those looking at mounting a skid plate, but missing the additional crossmember, the RCI x-member seems to suit the job just fine. A significantly cheaper alternative than the NYTOP piece.

Overall, I think the construction is fine, especially given the value. One interesting note is they decided to use u-nuts rather than tapping the holes on the x-member. I suspect this is to allow for a slight tolerance in lining up the bolts between the skid & crossmember, and given that most force, if any, will be exerted upon the bar itself from the plate in an upward motion (from hitting a rock etc), this design choice is perfectly acceptable.

Install is quite simple. First, prep the x-member by sliding the u-nuts onto it over the holes. Under the truck, remove the the stock front recovery points by removing the 4x M10 bolts on each side (2 per side). The x-member then mounts by sandwiching between the stock recovery points and the bolts being reinstalled.

Then, attach your skid plate with 6 bolts. The RCI crossmember doesn't come with extra bolts, so you'll need 2x M8-1.25 flange bolts. I found that 25mm length was perfect. I realized after that the fact that I'll need some washers as well, thought I had some M8s laying around the garage but will just have to make a quick run to Ace.

Once again, props to RCI for releasing this at a very competitive price point. Happy with it, and now I don't have to think about the "missing" attachment points of my skid.

PXL_20240818_153140569.jpg

PXL_20240818_154052837.jpg
Sponsored

Btimothy4

First Name
TB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Ordered mine last week - thanks for the info

webshot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I ordered the NYTOP one but they are seriously dragging their feet. I may need to cancel my order and get this one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Their prices are kinda like Spicoli, really high for what you get.

Richard
The slowboat from China strategy really failed for NYTOP.

After they had their design down, if they literally just had them made in NA for probably 10-20% over the cost of offshoring, factoring in ocean freight, they would have sold a bunch even at their original, absurdly high price because people wanted this part. Instead they announced it, asked for people to give them free loans via preordering, and cultivated demand. It was only a matter of time before another fab caught on.

Now they have a bunch on a boat and everyone's cancelling to get the RCI one, which is available sooner for much cheaper. And given RCI's aggressive pricepoint, it's doubtful other fabs will want to compete with them with similar parts.

Really backfired for them. Probably gonna see an NYTOP fire sale on these in the near future 😆

Nic24ifmltd

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited iForceMax
I ordered the NYTOP one but they are seriously dragging their feet. I may need to cancel my order and get this one.
From order to receiving it was under 2 weeks, and they had to make it after I ordered it. The price is hard to beat too.

Sponsored

NYTOP

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
nytop.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
Hi everyone,

To ensure competitive pricing, we have adjusted the cost of our product to $39.99 MSRP, down from the original $299.99 MSRP. (Also refunded all the pre-orders.)

Despite the extensive research and development we have invested in this proprietary design, we believe it is only fair to align our pricing, so our customers are not disadvantaged while waiting for their order.

Our Crossmember will be in stock within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your continued trust in us.

NYTOP TEAM.

NewtoToyota

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD Sport
Not a good look to drop the price by $240, seems the original price was really aiming high for profits. I will be ordering my crossmember as well as skid plate soon from RCI and support a company that looks out for its customers and their wallets.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Not a good look to drop the price by $240, seems the original price was really aiming high for profits. I will be ordering my crossmember as well as skid plate soon from RCI and support a company that looks out for its customers and their wallets.
Totally agree and have no skin in the game but I would buy NOTHING from NYTOP. They are gouging their customers and evident with that move Rather than be A PART of a community and build relationships on providing a “fair” price they simple tried to take advantage of first to market and gouge their customers. How or why anyone would want to give a company like that their hard earned money is beyond me but hey it’s your money.

BTW they have done it twice now with two of their parts and the cheap turn down exhaust dump that you can buy from another vendor for $99. They don’t want to be a part of the Toyota Tacoma community, they are out to make a fast buck and be gone.

NYTOP

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
nytop.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
Totally agree and have no skin in the game but I would buy NOTHING from NYTOP. They are gouging their customers and evident with that move Rather than be A PART of a community and build relationships on providing a “fair” price they simple tried to take advantage of first to market and gouge their customers. How or why anyone would want to give a company like that their hard earned money is beyond me but hey it’s your money.

BTW they have done it twice now with two of their parts and the cheap turn down exhaust dump that you can buy from another vendor for $99. They don’t want to be a part of the Toyota Tacoma community, they are out to make a fast buck and be gone.
Just FYI for everyone, at $39.99 we are now selling this item at a lost of around 50% per unit.

Our original price is set the same way we price every other item we offer which factors in manufacturing cost per unit as well as the R&D and all the stress testing costs we invested during the pre-manufacturing stage.

We are honestly very confused about how our competitor is able to achieve such a low price, which has caused a disruption in the market.

But we are adjusting the price, just to be fair to our customers who have pre-ordered with us.
Sponsored