Sponsored

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
First post — compelled to comment re: market adjustment on TRD PRO and Trailhunter.

To be clear: The idea of paying a nickel over MSRP on a Toyota is absurd to me.

I’ve been blessed to purchase a number of new speciality cars over the years, including several built-to-order Porsches. Never paid over MSRP for any of them pre-COVID, during COVID or post-COVID. And it’s not because I’m an exceptional person or negotiator. Their dealers simply don’t engage in this practice. They know that many people who may have money to burn will absolutely refuse to participate in their own gouging. That’s one of the ways they’ve earned and continue to keep their money in the first place.

My wife and I are first-time prospective Toyota buyers. We handed over a $1K refundable deposit for a 2024 Trailhunter or TRD PRO. We told the sales manager we will pay MSRP, period. He took our money. Time will tell what kind of person he is, and what kind of dealer we’re attempting to do business with.

The fact that we can special-order a $250K 911 GT3 at MSRP, but are unsure whether a Toyota dealer will be able to 1) locate a Tacoma to our liking, and 2) sell it to us at MSRP, is telling in the worst possible way. Honda, Genesis and other Japanese and South Korean mainstream manufacturers and dealerships are doing the same thing since COVID turned the market sideways and insane.

Perhaps they see doing business this way as appropriate and profitable. I disagree. The way I see it, if you offer a particular build on your public configurator, customers should be able to buy it without hassle or markup. Otherwise, don’t waste people’s time presenting a dog and pony show. In our case, you’ll lose a single sale, and potential customers for life.

This kind of behavior is the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I know the feeling, and I am with you on this.

I thought I was going to buy a Hyundai Tucson PHEV. They quoted me MSRP. I ordered. A few months later, they called to ask if I might be interested in a Santa Fe instead, and I said the size was bigger than I was looking for and the price difference was a problem. It was then that they told me the markup on the Tucson would make them equal. I said absolutely not to markup. The manager called me and offered to split the difference. I pointed to my written quote and he tried to blame Hyundai. Team Hyundai of Bend will never see a dime from me.

Peterson Toyota of Boise has promised MSRP for local buyers who order. If they try to go back on that, I will get my money back and they will never get my business. We'll see.
Sponsored

wy3134

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dakota
its gonna be interesting in a couple weeks for me here in the midwest once pricing is finally unveiled...i already know of a couple toyota dealers locally to avoid as they are dipshits to deal with and the reviews online even say they dont honor their word on deposits with pricing or reservations on new orders. ive yet to hop on a list cause the pricing is really gonna determine what route i even go brand wise or trim level..... seeing how toyota is slow rolling this release, im not having high hopes of finding what im looking for at msrp....in addition to having to figure out what i wanna do with a couple of other vehicles i dont need anymore.

anyone know of of midwest dealers to talk to outside of indiana even that typically get good allocations and arent shady to deal with?

Last edited:

TacoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Same salesman from Toyota dealer has a new video up claiming there are 109 allocated 2024 Tacomas in the system now. Builds are scheduled for first week of December.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
only one problem with this… there aren’t 7 trims that allow 6 foot beds

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
they are trying to squeeze every last penny from peoples wallets on the market adjustments because they know it’s coming/has come to an end.

they already posted that their dealship requires a couple thousand in accessories. no thanks. There ARE msrp dealers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Derek S.

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Ranger
Just as much as a price progression, Toyota will price against the competition.
ZR2 is $47k
Raptor Jr is $55k
AT4X is $55k
Mojave is $55.5k (with a roof and automatic)
So aside from the screaming deal on the ZR2, looks like the price point is.... $55k
From what I saw when I ordered the 2023 ZR2 Desert Boss, the $47k was baseline. Add the packages, get it fully loaded, and you'd be looking at a lot more like $65k. That's what mine was gonna be before I got tired of waiting, around the time the UAW strike made everything come to a screaming, grinding halt.

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
My heart had been set on the RR though, once the hybrid tacoma was unveiled I reevaluated the fuel requirements and mpg s of the RR.
getting RR seems pretty rare right now ive seen 20k adjustments on them ... They havent even been shipped yet... so imagine geting trailhunter wont be easy either. Somthing keep in mind

ToyotaSalesman31707

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra Limited, Taco TRD Pro
getting RR seems pretty rare right now ive seen 20k adjustments on them ... They havent even been shipped yet... so imagine geting trailhunter wont be easy either. Somthing keep in mind
I think people are missing that the TH's are going to be built in very limited numbers.....

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the Colorado is a great value across all trims. Even moreso if you have a supplier discount code.

im comparing ranger 2.7 with A plan vs Colorado trail boss with supplier discount vs Tacoma off-road premium with no discount lol
yea toyota should be careful. Discounts go long way with customers and they barely off any on 23's right now. The ranger needs sales boost it just might get big one once they start rolling in production. Are you going pay 42k for 4x4 xlt or 49k for pro which i can easily see happening.

ToyotaSalesman31707

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra Limited, Taco TRD Pro
yea toyota should be careful. Discounts go long way with customers and they barely off any on 23's right now. The ranger needs sales boost it just might get big one once they start rolling in production. Are you going pay 42k for 4x4 xlt or 49k for pro which i can easily see happening.
I'm giving $5000 off right now, a true $5000, not money off an addendum

Sponsored

Cavemold

First Name
Cavemold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think people are missing that the TH's are going to be built in very limited numbers.....
yea.. same with RR why theres 20k uptick on orders ive seen. I dont think i want pay 20K ADJ on trailhunter if the given price is already going be 60K.. :( They are cool though. Tacoma will need sell their builk in pro and SR5, range. I figure those will be the most popular brands. i dont see prerunner selling in great quainties. Sport is sweet spot for most people , hopefully its 45k and under.