Sponsored

BillyJoeJimBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Oh...I'm sold on the new powerplant. I've seen the hp/tq numbers and fuel economy.im sold. It's not a new drive train by any standard though. It's tried and true.
Is there a significant mpg difference between the ICE only and hybrid? Or is it mostly just a performance difference like in the Tundra?
Sponsored

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
the Colorado is a great value across all trims. Even moreso if you have a supplier discount code.

im comparing ranger 2.7 with A plan vs Colorado trail boss with supplier discount vs Tacoma off-road premium with no discount lol
Let’s cross finger on Tacoma pricing. The Ranger I personally don’t like the look except the Raptor.
If I did like the look of the non Raptor trim then I think it would be a great option. I have the 2.7 on my Bronco and it’s a fantastic engine. I really love my Bronco, such a comfortable place to be. I sat in a 2023 Colorado and it’s nowhere near as comfortable but it was average/decent (not a deal breaker).

Like I said though I think Ford didn’t do a good job with the look of non Raptor trims. Unlike Chevy and Toyota, cause the trail boss and TRD off road both look good. That’s very subjective of course.

BillyJoeJimBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
well it’s evident there will be a significant difference. Tundra was tuned for power. Tacoma will have better mpg in the hybrid version for sure. I am guessing at least 25mpg combined.
I guess we'll see, it would be a pleasnt suprise but I doubt it. Other hybrid max powertrains (very similar to tacoma) don't seem to provide much of an efficiency boost or provide even less highway mpg (eg Grand Highlander and Crown).

Sponsored

Slipstream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Just as much as a price progression, Toyota will price against the competition.
ZR2 is $47k
Raptor Jr is $55k
AT4X is $55k
Mojave is $55.5k (with a roof and automatic)
So aside from the screaming deal on the ZR2, looks like the price point is.... $55k
Which is...stunningly, still less expensive than a similarly equipped Jeep Gladiator...LOL.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I've been watching this thread for quite a while now and I feel like we're putting an awful lot of stock in what one person is saying. I believe there may be some truth to it, but I have a hard time believing some of what I'm reading and that someone working at a dealership would have that much intel beyond what is already pubic. If that was the case there would be many other leaks all across the inter-web. Just my opinion, but food for thought. From a spec perspective most have been public since launch, but there could be a few wild cards in the mix.

WARNING: My predictions & thoughts below are based on absolutely no intel, just some un-educated guesses.

1. TH/Pro price will be between $52k - $55k. I think Toyota is smart and if it gets much higher it's approaching Tundra territory, they will be above the competition, and the gap between the 23' Pro ($48k base per the configurator) will be beyond many peoples tolerance and what I would consider reasonable. This is not factoring in dealer markups. I will not buy from a dealer that marks it up, but no doubt some will.
  2. What will I spend on a TH? I would love low $50's, however that is probably a pipe dream. I would say as long as it's under $60k I will likely still pull the trigger. Part of this is because I have an 05' second gen with 221k miles on it so it is a giant upgrade. Second gen still runs absolutely perfect by the way, but definitely excited about the new models.
  3. TH/Pro will either be equal top tier/flagship trucks (my guess) or Pro by a slim margin.
  4. Fuel economy: Better than previous models and a hell of a lot better than mine haha. I am currently in the "overloader" category. I plan to go lighter with the new TH setup.
  5. Allocations/inventory: If what I've read elsewhere on this site is true from someone on the manufacturing side about volumes being produced it may not be as bad as what we're thinking. That could be wishful thinking, but Toyota's goal is to sell trucks, dealers goal is to sell trucks, they need trucks to sell trucks. If 23' inventory levels across the country are very high then maybe they could withhold some until inventory is cleared out. Cars.com has 11k total "new" Tacomas across all trim levels currently listed and AutoTrader has 15k. Is that a lot? I have no idea. According to Google (site linked below) Toyota sold 215k Tacomas in 2022 and 252k in 2021, and in October 23' sold 17k. Toyota Sales Data This site has some solid Toyota sales information. To me it would seem plausible for Toyota to open the inventory flood gates upon launch (assuming they have made it through production).
  6. Pricing and specs will be released for all 24's (non-hybrid and hybrid) prior to or around Black Friday. This allows time for consumers to do research, pick the model they want, and for Toyota to get some (non-hybrids) out the door before the end of the year. Obviously it's possible for this to push out, but if it does I would imagine it's because of production issues and not due to dealers current 23' inventory. Dealers will sell Tacoma's no matter what.
  7. As a note: I am #4 on the list for the TH at Mountain States Toyota here in the Denver area. They are the largest Toyota dealer in the state so fingers crossed I get one early after they launch the hybrids. I put my name on the list June 3rd.
I think the TRD pro will be about 55K. They can justify it having the same price as the Raptor because yes you loose in term of power and off road capability (Raptor has much better travel, suspension tech, and dual lockers) but they can argue the hybrid power train costs more to compensate.

At that point, for someone who wants the best offroad the Raptor will be better no questions. For someone who wants better MPG (or and like the look better) the TRD Pro will be better.

My concern is the TH. If you think about it in term of pure cost to Toyota it will be more expensive than the Pro for sure because it has a lot of expensive extras like the full skid plates.
This is unless the stock TH comes with no features and tech and the TRD pro comes fully loaded, in which case TRD Pro will have a higher price. But once you add the same tech and features to TH it will be more expensive. Don’t forget the Raptor comes absolutely fully loaded for 55K. Base price means nothing if you need to pay for all the extras.

That means we could very well see a TH more expensive than both the Raptor and Pro when loaded with the same features. At 60K or more.

Personally I could pay up to 58K for a fully loaded TH. That means 3K over a Raptor, for the same features and tech but with hybrid, and with front and rear steal bumpers that would cost me 3K anyway on the Raptor. And that’s generous from my end. If it’s 65K they can shovel it up their a**.

Now a fully loaded OFF road, that still needs suspension wheels tires and bumpers from aftermarket (about $10K) I could pay 45K.

My dream is a fully loaded TH for 55K.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beninbeta

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
I think the TRD pro will be about 55K. They can justify it having the same price as the Raptor because yes you loose in term of power and off road capability (Raptor has much better travel, suspension tech, and dual lockers) but they can argue the hybrid power train costs more to compensate.

At that point, for someone who wants the best offroad the Raptor will be better no questions. For someone who wants better MPG (or and like the look better) the TRD Pro will be better.

My concern is the TH. If you think about it in term of pure cost to Toyota it will be more expensive than the Pro for sure because it has a lot of expensive extras like the ARB bumper.
This is unless the stock TH comes with no features and tech and the TRD pro comes fully loaded, in which case TRD Pro will have a higher price. But once you add the same tech and features to TH it will be more expensive. Don’t forget the Raptor comes absolutely fully loaded for 55K. Base price means nothing if you need to pay for all the extras.

That means we could very well see a TH more expensive than both the Raptor and Pro when loaded with the same features. At 60K or more.

Personally I could pay up to 58K for a fully loaded TH. That means 3K over a Raptor, for the same features and tech but with hybrid, and with front and rear steal bumpers that would cost me 3K anyway on the Raptor. And that’s generous from my end. If it’s 65K they can shovel it up their a**.

Now a fully loaded OFF road, that still needs suspension wheels tires and bumpers from aftermarket (about $10K) I could pay 45K.

My dream is a fully loaded TH for 55K.

The TRD Pro also has the same ARB bumper, and also has the Fox 3-way adjustable shocks, and the isodynamic seat.

ToyotaSalesman31707

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra Limited, Taco TRD Pro
Google Southeast Toyota PROs.
As far as me just being "someone that works at a dealership", I'm a little more than that. Aside from being the only PRO in these forums, I'm the only Toyota salesman in these forums. PROs have access to information and even vehicles before even the dealership owners. Toyota salesmen have to pass certification before any new model is released. It's where we get our product knowledge. PROs have to pass certification before a regular salesman. I get zero benefit from spouting bs on these forums. I'm here to sell cars and try to share what information I can with you guys.

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
The TRD Pro also has the same ARB bumper, and also has the Fox 3-way adjustable shocks, and the isodynamic seat.
You are right. Also I mentioned a front bumper but essentially there is no steel bumper

Google Southeast Toyota PROs.
As far as me just being "someone that works at a dealership", I'm a little more than that. Aside from being the only PRO in these forums, I'm the only Toyota salesman in these forums. PROs have access to information and even vehicles before even the dealership owners. Toyota salesmen have to pass certification before any new model is released. It's where we get our product knowledge. PROs have to pass certification before a regular salesman. I get zero benefit from spouting bs on these forums. I'm here to sell cars and try to share what information I can with you guys.
That’s cool but did you share any specs? Because saying you are a pro with access to information isn’t very useful to this forum if you are not sharing the specs. On the Bronco forum a few years back there was 2 insiders who leaked and shared all the good info anonymously. Sounds like nobody want to share anything on the Tacoma.
Maybe you shared some unknown specs and I missed your post in that case dismiss my comment.

I think the key info people want is a price idea on the Off road, TH and Pro.
And then some tech specs like MPG and Payload.

You could also just tells us something like « it looks like the hybrid will have very slightly less mpg than the new landcruiser, and looks like payload for a TH will land in between a ZR2 and RR »
That way you aren’t giving away any number.

Sponsored

ToyotaSalesman31707

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra Limited, Taco TRD Pro
When SET tells me not to disclose what I've been allowed access to, I'm going to honor my word. Yeah, I know.....a car salesman that has integrity. Yep. I'm an oxymoron. Trust me guys. I'll spill everything just as soon as I can.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
When SET tells me not to disclose what I've been allowed access to, I'm going to honor my word. Yeah, I know.....a car salesman that has integrity. Yep. I'm an oxymoron. Trust me guys. I'll spill everything just as soon as I can.
Any word when press drives are happening?

wy3134

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dakota
im just hoping i wont have to fight as many people for the 6 spd sport since everyone wants the bit higher trims. nice to see we are close, but damnit i want some pie to go with my turkey....im tired of waiting for dessert!

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
Thanks for the info! Sounds like you’ve done your research and I’m happy to hear your predictions amid my continued curiosity.

Do you think the OR hybrid and TH will both start at the same price, 54k+? I was assuming the price difference between the two was going to be significant, especially considering the TH’s ARB and other standard features not available on non-Pro/TH models.

I’m waitlisted w/ deposit for a hybrid OR. I was hoping (and guessing) 49k start for a barebones OR hybrid.

Thanks again!
Sponsored