Sponsored

Shock blown through the top while driving down paved road 😡

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Then you can bump up the octane/ms109 and run that v6 gen 3 Tacoma without getting into hot water with the Kalifornia air resources board.

I drive from San Fran Bay Area to green valley, Az tomorrow

with the new taco.. hope not to have trans issues
How was your drive?
Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I became too tired to make the drive all the way. I started dozing off, so I am staying in Palm Springs tonight. I had to double back after crossing the Tehachapi range. Either construction or a wreck, so went back, then up to California city then to Barstow… I like the torque of the engine, finally got over 1000 miles on it. One of the temp gauges does rise a little bit when boost is on an extended pull. I gotta find out which gauge increases in temp. I am considering a tranny cooler with a fan on it, and placing it on the frame on the driver’s side. I have the AFE intercooler pipes for the Tacoma, waiting in Arizona for me..

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
whats the verdict on needing the aftermarket solution for the TRD Pro? As far as I know the TRD Pro also does not have frame mounted bump stops. Taking the truck off roading in two weeks for the first time and want to make sure this shit doesn't happen to me lol

Sponsored

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
The ICON plates are the easiest install I have ever done. 5 minutes per side and a 14mm socket. In the Icon video he says the flat spot goes to the rear. That is from the direction he is facing vs the rear of the vehicle. More accurate to say flat spot goes to the engine side. There is a plate there so it is pretty obvious.
20240814_172008.jpg
20240814_171910.jpg
20240815_112332.jpg
20240815_112252.jpg

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
If you have a few spare hours while in Green Valley, take the tour of the Titan Missile Museum.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9TzKZG1QtY14Kchw7
Sorry, I need to view it!! My parents have lived in Green Valley for years, and I have never made the time. But I definitely need to do this.
Thank you for the reminder, I forgot all about this!!

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
The ICON plates are the easiest install I have ever done. 5 minutes per side and a 14mm socket. In the Icon video he says the flat spot goes to the rear. That is from the direction he is facing vs the rear of the vehicle. More accurate to say flat spot goes to the engine side. There is a plate there so it is pretty obvious.
20240814_172008.jpg
20240814_171910.jpg
20240815_112332.jpg
20240815_112252.jpg
Thank you for sharing this. I plan on getting the same kit, as it seems to be an important component to remedy the issue with the shock/strut mount for the top of the shock. I was going to pay someone, but you just convinced me to do it myself

Thank you!

Tacomaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Highlander Hybrid
20240814_172008.jpg
20240814_171910.jpg
20240815_112332.jpg
20240815_112252.jpg
Nice, I’ll be doing mine this weekend.
Did you use any specific torque?

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
Nice, I’ll be doing mine this weekend.
Did you use any specific torque?
I did not. It was pretty easy to loosen and I just tightened it down with a standard socket wrench. I would have been more careful with an extended length wrench

Sponsored

Mitch33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma OR
I just installed the Icon kit as well. Easy job. I had to use a 14mm flat wrench though because I couldn’t get the regular ratchet to fit in that space. Before installing I’ve had the truck off-road and in sand dunes a few times now and haven’t had any issues aside from the turbo getting really hot as turbos do.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
whats the verdict on needing the aftermarket solution for the TRD Pro? As far as I know the TRD Pro also does not have frame mounted bump stops. Taking the truck off roading in two weeks for the first time and want to make sure this shit doesn't happen to me lol
I'm fairly sure that this problem does not apply to the Pro or TH from something I read on another thread.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@entropy FWIW I read this on another forum about exactly what you are asking.

after checking out close-up pics on the internet, I found the following: "The" shock that failed was a Bilstein with an internal bump stop that is standard with the TRD Off-Road. The Trailhunter and TRD Pro both have shock mounted external bump stops.