Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
First time driving my sr5 on the interstate and through the mountains of Pennsylvania for 180 plus miles. Waited 1k miles during break in to take her out on highway. This truck really impressed me , was super smooth and comfortable and quiet . The engine was incredible with the power delivery and fuel economy. I was able to climb a few mountains at 1500-1700rpm staying in gear and running half-3/4 boost. Iā€™m amazed at how much power it creates without having to rev up or downshift . I got 26.1 mpg on top of it. Very impressed overall with this 4th gen.

2024 Tacoma T24A-FTS (L4 turbo) engine in the mountains of Pennsylvania . IMG_2718

2024 Tacoma T24A-FTS (L4 turbo) engine in the mountains of Pennsylvania . IMG_2608
Sponsored

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
First time driving my sr5 on the interstate and through the mountains of Pennsylvania for 180 plus miles. Waited 1k miles during break in to take her out on highway. This truck really impressed me , was super smooth and comfortable and quiet . The engine was incredible with the power delivery and fuel economy. I was able to climb a few mountains at 1500-1700rpm staying in gear and running half-3/4 boost. Iā€™m amazed at how much power it creates without having to rev up or downshift . I got 26.1 mpg on top of it. Very impressed overall with this 4th gen.

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg
Iā€™ve been thru these mountains good amount with new taco being I live in Ny. I hope she stays that way brother. Iā€™m moving on

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Iā€™ve been thru these mountains good amount with new taco being I live in Ny. I hope she stays that way brother. Iā€™m moving on
Youā€™re not keeping your Tacoma? Honestly man if you read the stories from other manufacturers I donā€™t think your gonna find greener grass l

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
A lot of online hate for the new 2.4L T engine. I absolutely love it over the 3.5L V6 in my old 2019 Tacoma. Itā€˜s a torquey little engine with tons of grunt.

I did a lot of research before purchasing my Tacoma and supposedly the 2.4L T engine was significantly reworked from the Highlander and Grand Highlander models.

ā€œIn the 2024 Toyota Tacoma lineup, every trim variant is equipped with a turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, which comes in three different configurations: standard, i-Force, or i-Force Max Hybrid. While some components of the engine might seem familiar, drawn from the 2.4-liter engines found in the Highlander and Grand Highlander models, it has been significantly reworked for the specific demands of a truck's heavier duty cycle.

As explained by Sheldon Brown, chief engineer for the 2024 Toyota Tacoma, one of the key factors ensuring that the new turbo four-cylinder engine is as reliable as the old V-6 is having a robust cooling system capable of dissipating all the heat.

For some time now, Toyota has been transitioning to smaller displacement turbocharged engines, a shift that has been driven by emissions regulations as well as the goal of enhancing fuel economy and power performance. In this instance, the new inline-four engine incorporates a 3-inch cooling inlet designed to facilitate a robust flow of coolant throughout the entire cooling system.

This feature is particularly noteworthy because a cooling inlet of this size is typically associated with V-8 engines. As a result, there is a remarkable water flow within a much smaller engine, a feature that not only helps achieve the goal of effectively dissipating heat, but also enhances overall engine performance.ā€

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
A lot of online hate for the new 2.4L T engine. I absolutely love it over the 3.5L V6 in my old 2019 Tacoma. Itā€˜s a torquey little engine with tons of grunt.

I did a lot of research before purchasing my Tacoma and supposedly the 2.4L T engine was significantly reworked from the Highlander and Grand Highlander models.

ā€œIn the 2024 Toyota Tacoma lineup, every trim variant is equipped with a turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, which comes in three different configurations: standard, i-Force, or i-Force Max Hybrid. While some components of the engine might seem familiar, drawn from the 2.4-liter engines found in the Highlander and Grand Highlander models, it has been significantly reworked for the specific demands of a truck's heavier duty cycle.

As explained by Sheldon Brown, chief engineer for the 2024 Toyota Tacoma, one of the key factors ensuring that the new turbo four-cylinder engine is as reliable as the old V-6 is having a robust cooling system capable of dissipating all the heat.

For some time now, Toyota has been transitioning to smaller displacement turbocharged engines, a shift that has been driven by emissions regulations as well as the goal of enhancing fuel economy and power performance. In this instance, the new inline-four engine incorporates a 3-inch cooling inlet designed to facilitate a robust flow of coolant throughout the entire cooling system.

This feature is particularly noteworthy because a cooling inlet of this size is typically associated with V-8 engines. As a result, there is a remarkable water flow within a much smaller engine, a feature that not only helps achieve the goal of effectively dissipating heat, but also enhances overall engine performance.ā€
Yup I checked all temp gauges and she stays right in spec. Highly impressed of this motor and have zero doubts of long term Durability

Sponsored

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road

I agree. The 4 cylinder doesnā€™t bother me at all. In fact youā€™re right it is light years better than the 3rd gen. Iā€™ve just had constant issues with mine and Sheldon I do not have any respect for lol.
and what fenza is saying Iā€™m in total agreement with I think our days are over of brothas of trucks lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. From all companies the landscape doesnā€™t look good for reliability.
I hope you brothas the best. Iā€™m glad trucks working out for you this far

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
This truck is solid . Specially turbo . Few months ago i drove my truck through canadian rockies . It was continuous 40 km stretch of average 8 percent grade uphill . Truck was boasting turbo gauge 3/4 or full most of that time . I had no issue no overheating .

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Just returned recently from a 5K trip from my home here in Phoenix, to Lousiana, Flordia, Missisipi, then from there up to the 40 to Angel Fire, NM (above Taos) @ 8800 feet. The truck was phenonimal on the highway, rarely downshifting to climb hills on the highway @ 75-85mph. Once in NM, I had a few big mountians to climb just over the 10K range, not a single sweat for this motor.

It's been MANY years since I've owned a 4 cylinder vehicle, but I notice that this engine has a ton of low-end torque, so no real need to wind past 3k, and rarly above 2.5k with my typical driving habits. @ 85 it's rolling along @ 2200RPM with no turbo spool. When I need to climb a hill, turbo spools up, climb the hill, no fuss, no muss.

I dont have a heavy foot much anylonger, and my aggressive east coast driving habits have all but left me, and I'm finding that I'm rarerly seeing any turbo spool in most of my driving. I feel that this will be a long life motor simply because of the low RPM's it' needs to get around, and really because it's not needing the turbo much. Nice to know it's there if needed though. Which is sometimes a necessity when merging onto the highways here in Phoenix.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
None of us can really know the long-term reliability yet but the engine and platform are also families not totally new or first up now.

This weekend was another one telling for how good the new powertrain works and also how bad a headwind and fast freeway traffic are for fuel economy. Mine is generally good but towards 75 MPH with wind and a load drops efficiency but it handles it well.

For a little while yesterday each of a gen 2 and 3 were right behind me all 3 obviously with a load and I had two bikes on rack for stuff I had in the bed. A climb where there was one downshift was just fine holding speed. When the gen 4 downshifted I saw in my mirror the other two were a ways back.

Sponsored

Iam_Q

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR M/T

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg
I live in Central PA and I have had my SR MT for about 4 months now. I had no choice but to put her on the highway on day one. A 200 mile trip back home from the dealership where I bought it. I love the power and bonus MPG savings bonus as well. I love driving the Taco so much that I have already put 5k on her. Now if I can figure a way from getting oil baths during oil changes... LOL

Longpatterned

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Double Cab Long Bed

IMG_2718.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg
Rolled through the hills in Northern Georgia and got 26mpg at 70mph and somehow 24.5mph at 65mph. Agree on the smoothness. I donā€™t mind it but the acceleration from 0 can be twitchy like all or nothing, so when my lady comes along I often start by idling the first 3-5 seconds for a smoother start. We have several dumb interstate on ramps here in NOLA where the iForce Max outshines my 2016 SR5 V6. Had one of each Gen and they keep getting lighter. Pretty sure the engine will outlast the body plasticā€¦šŸ¤£

Daveintb

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 SR5 2wd
Just returned recently from a 5K trip from my home here in Phoenix, to Lousiana, Flordia, Missisipi, then from there up to the 40 to Angel Fire, NM (above Taos) @ 8800 feet. The truck was phenonimal on the highway, rarely downshifting to climb hills on the highway @ 75-85mph. Once in NM, I had a few big mountians to climb just over the 10K range, not a single sweat for this motor.

It's been MANY years since I've owned a 4 cylinder vehicle, but I notice that this engine has a ton of low-end torque, so no real need to wind past 3k, and rarly above 2.5k with my typical driving habits. @ 85 it's rolling along @ 2200RPM with no turbo spool. When I need to climb a hill, turbo spools up, climb the hill, no fuss, no muss.

I dont have a heavy foot much anylonger, and my aggressive east coast driving habits have all but left me, and I'm finding that I'm rarerly seeing any turbo spool in most of my driving. I feel that this will be a long life motor simply because of the low RPM's it' needs to get around, and really because it's not needing the turbo much. Nice to know it's there if needed though. Which is sometimes a necessity when merging onto the highways here in Phoenix.
As a life long professional mechanic I can attest to the fact that high rpmā€™s is what wears down an engine over time. I work in a large truck fleet and most all of our engines (turbo diesel ) see over or close to a million miles with no rebuild. If an engine is built from the ground up to be a turbo (as this one is ) life expectancy more than likely will be ok and I donā€™t see much more boost than 15 on mine, which is actually not considered to be high as compared to the GM 2.7 which I believe is in the 20ā€™s. Time will tell but I have faith in Toyota.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Western Pennsylvania here! 24 4G Tacoma enchanted no doubt. The turbo 4 cylinder paired with manual transmission is everything I ever wanted. The turbo is like icing on a cake. Love the drive modes with being able to keep RPM low and out of boost in eco but spooled up in sport mode.
Sponsored