Sponsored

brentbba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
5' bed. Offroading I wanted a better turning radius and breakover. Wheelbase is longer than my old Landcruiser to begin with, and turning isn't as good. 6' would have been worse.
Sponsored

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Mine is being built in a week. I opted for the 6ā€™ bed for a few reasons

- storage volume for work tools. I currently own a station wagon. When I flip the seats down I have a 5ā€™6ā€ long loading deck and Iā€™ve often found with work that the extra linear foot of space would be useful. The whole reason Iā€™m getting a truck is to safely haul all my work gak around without the possibility of it braining me from behind if I get rear ended, so more space made sense for me. I can see 5ā€™ being better for many folks though. Iā€™m glad toyota has the option because I really didnā€™t want a full size truck. A 6ā€™ taco is what a full size was 20 years ago and thatā€™s deff enough truck for me!

- it was never going to fit in my garage anyway so I might as well have more space!

- I camp all the time, but Iā€™m not (probably lol I might eat my words this winter) going to do any super technical trails. My speed is more exploring forest roads and long haul road trips vs doing things that would necessitate 35s and crawling etc. I figure the longer wheelbase wonā€™t nuke me too much.

- I live in a crowded congested mess of a city. Parking is going to suck either way with a truck. a few more min looking for a spot or having to park a bit further back etc wonā€™t kill me šŸ˜

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Another factor to take into consideration is the payload is like 60lbs less on the 6'.

Kind of backwards, since most of the other 6' models have the same or higher payload than their 5' counterparts.

So even though you have more space, technically you can carry less (weight).
Iā€™d argue that 60 lbs is not a factor unless youā€™re an MMA fighter checking every carb that you eat before fight night. My tag payload limit is 1,245. Ripped off the ARB sport bar Iā€™m at ~1,320. Add the GFC in October, Iā€™m back to 800 lbs for gear when I tare my own weight. Plenty.

The determining factor is gear length and volume/space. Thereā€™s a cohort who like their topper to double as a weekender/overnighter sleeper birth, that extra foot is worth the trade off.

Truck only has an 18 gal tank. Anyone overlanding with a 63qt cooler weighing 85lbs on this truck needs a head check. You're pumping gas before you know it and can restock a cooler more than 1/2 the size & weight. Gotta keep it light, the range on the rig dictates it. More you weigh it down, more you're stopped at civilization with provisions at your fingertips.

Last edited:

ewtotel

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter, 2024 4Runner, 2009 Jeep Liberty
I'm in the same boat... waiting on either one to come open with a deposit on one (the other dealership doesn't take deposits.) I'm very much leaning toward the 6-foot bed just for that little bit of extra space. While taking my TH offroad and overlanding/camping will be a huge part of this purchase for me, I don't anticipate getting into any off road obstacles substantial enough for me to regret not having the negligible approach/departure angle benefit of the short bed. If I wanted to get into that kind of stuff I would have gone with a lifted wrangler or something instead.

All that said... if push comes to shove and I can only get a short bed, I'm not going to cry about it at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vidman

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
I agree with you about the less demand for the 6 foot beds but what about the demand for the halo models..you would think Toyota would build a lot more of them to satisfy their customers

OP
OP
Vidman

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
I wonā€™t be taking the truck out to do any rock crawling or heavy off road so not worried about any issues related to the off road performance of the vehicle. Just getting to my hunting,fishing and camping spots that are not going to test it out to the extremes.. still leaning toward the 6 foot bed just because lt looks more like a truck

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Tremor 2021
If you want to load your atv in the bed, buy the 6 foot bed. I have a 5 feet bed and your tires will stay on the tailgate with the risk of bending it. It will also distribute the weight better and you will squat way less than with a 5 foot bed.

IMO, if you're considering a 6 foot bed, do not buy a 5 foot bed, you will regret it.

Cabby30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 DCLB TRD OR
Go 6ft bed.
If you aren't going to rock crawl or do any rigorous off-roading, then the extra bed capacity is worth the loss in breakover angle and turning radius. After my first firewood haul I was glad I went long bed.