Sponsored

TRD Off-Road automatic lost gears 1-5

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
So the first time I even tried using the manual mode I was in 4L and I slapped it into manual to try and have better control on my downhill decent. It was in S3 like you said, but it wouldn't go into 2 or 1. This was while I was still in NC, about a week ago. Figured maybe at the time it was just a 4L thing and forgot about it. Maybe it was a precursor to the failure, not being able to get into gears 1 or 2.
Interesting, I can to into all gears so hopefully I don't have issues. Would love to hear if anyone else sees S3.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I did it once with an F150 and I will never do it again because the one I bought was a lemon, so I traded it in on another F150 here in Florida.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Well, as the title says... My automatic has lost gears 1-5. I'm about 200 miles from my house currently driving home with my family in the truck. Yeah we've probably put 700 miles on the truck today, same as yesterday. Had no issues yesterday or on my way to our destination either. Total milage about 6500, 4000 of those in the last 3 weeks. Haven't had any issues up to this point. Seems to drive alright in gears 6-8, just won't go down to anything less. Transmission never overheated, I have had the transmission temps on my cluster the entire drive, not once have they budged above normal operating temps while driving in 2H on the freeway. I was able to limp the vehicle to a hotel where I'm staying for the night so I can get it towed in the morning to the nearest dealership or, potentially, see if it goes into gear in the morning once fully cooled and I can get back home to my local dealership.
I think we're all still waiting on the update and an answer to the question of did you try manual shifting when you were having the issue?

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
I think we're all still waiting on the update and an answer to the question of did you try manual shifting when you were having the issue?
I covered this in a follow-up comment already, yes I tried manually shifting and that's how I know specifically which gears I lost. At a complete stop I would go into manual and it would say "S6", I'd try to go down and it would just flash "S6" at me. I could go up to 7 and 8 and back down to 6, but nothing below that.

Sponsored

OldTimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 2wd
I have a TRD Sport 2WD. Today at a complete stop put it in manual mode and it said S3. I did not try to downshift but will keep an eye on it.

Update: Found this on page 219 in owner's manual. Appears S3 is normal when selecting the mode with vehicle stopped.

The selected shift range, from S1 to
S8 will be displayed on the multiinformation
display.
The initial shift range in S mode is
set automatically to 3, 4, 5 or 6
according to vehicle speed.
However, the initial shift range may
be set to 4 if AI-SHIFT has operated
while the shift lever was.......

Last edited:

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
I have a TRD Sport 2WD. Today at a complete stop put it in manual mode and it said S3. I did not try to downshift but will keep an eye on it.
Ok, that's what I was seeing as well. Maybe some more people can comment with what they see

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I covered this in a follow-up comment already, yes I tried manually shifting and that's how I know specifically which gears I lost. At a complete stop I would go into manual and it would say "S6", I'd try to go down and it would just flash "S6" at me. I could go up to 7 and 8 and back down to 6, but nothing below that.
Sorry I missed that post. Hope it all turned out well for you and you don't have those issues ever again.

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's Official, Toyota has confirmed I will need a new transmission.

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
How long has it been since it went down? I'm guessing they have to order the transmission too right? Did they give you any info about what they think happened?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long has it been since it went down? I'm guessing they have to order the transmission too right? Did they give you any info about what they think happened?
Failure happened on the 8th, didn't get into a dealership for initial review till the 9th. My local dealership got it towed here in town where they set me up with a loaner while they perform diagnostics on it (they got it on the 11th, started working on it the 13th). Per the Toyota APP I could tell they were in and out of the vehicle all weekend. I was just notified this morning that Toyota had them doing a bunch of different things before they'd allow ordering a new transmission but ultimately that's what is happening. My rep said there is no ETA on a new transmission but is hoping he'll have more information in the next 48 hours.

I'm debating what recourse I have at this point. I don't want to jump the gun and call Toyota and say, "lemon law" as that could gum up any progress that could be made. I also know my dealership is great and even the GM has been texting with me to keep me informed so I'm hoping they can put pressure on Toyota to get a new transmission faster.

As is, if the truck sits broken for 30+ days I can legally seek the lemon law here. I don't want to do that, I would rather get my truck back, I also don't want to be left driving their loaner months either.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@SonoranSurvivalist Those are some tough choices. Maybe they will get back with an acceptable time frame for getting your new transmission, and in that case I would probably just roll with that. I guess if there is a long wait you will have to decide what is worse, keeping their loaner for longer than you want or lemon lawing your truck. Like I said, tough choices.

I watched buyers go through worse with failed transmissions in their Hyundai Santa Cruz trucks. Before they did a recall some owners waited months and they didn't even get a loaner. One guy with failed electronics made payments on a Santa Cruz for 9 months while it sat in his dealer's lot and he also had to pay for something to drive. At least I don't expect Toyota to treat you like that.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TacoFreak I fully acknowledge the situation could be far worse. That said, I'm only willing to wait so long while all these new transmissions get installed on yet to be delivered trucks, especially when some of them end up just sitting on the lot.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I totally understand that.

Toyota has let down too many new buyers with failed transmissions and needs to really kick it up a notch in getting these trucks back on the road. Better to slow down production than keep customers waiting for repairs on their new trucks.

Let's hope your dealer has good news on the ETA for that replacement gearbox.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
When and if you get near the 30 days you need to go beyond your dealership and speak to Toyota directly. You might have to start out with their customer service and explain yourself but eventually have a chance to speak to someone that can help with your situation and possibly streamline getting a replacement truck before litigation begins. That’s what I did with Yamaha and even after I started the lemon law process my counselor had me ask and I still spoke to Yamaha directly with a request for replacement in 48 hours. It was very time consuming but it’s Going to be something you must think about at that 30 day mark. If they decline a loaner vehicle after 30 days because you go with lemon law you could be without a vehicle for an undisclosed amount of time. If you stick with your dealership and they might go past 30 days but I would think let you keep your loaner till you get said truck back from repair. gag Order prevents me from going into detail but I am happy I went through the lemon law process instead of letting the dealership fix me up.
Sponsored