Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yeah - my truck was built July 27th and it is included. So Toyota has taken a long time to get this one under control.

Toyota claims that a few early transmissions had this problem and yet they were still building trucks with this defect through the summer. That doesn't sound much like under control to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I'm sure Toyota is formulating a plan for how best to address this. If they plan on replacing affected transmissions, it will take months to build up the additional inventory. Once the used transmission inventory is sufficient, they'll likely rebuild those and use them for future replacements. Regardless, the dealer network will need the personnel to handle it. Some shops are short on quality techs, and no dealer is going to assign a master tech to warranty work.

Oh, and they also have Tundra engines to manage. I know that during the frame replacement ordeal, some shops had dedicated techs who did nothing but that. Depending on the specific needs of the vehicle, they could knock out a truck in just a few hours.

Then again, this is strictly conjecture, and I could be completely wrong—so feel free to ignore this post.
I think this is right. They don’t have the bandwidth to drop transmission pan
I'm sure Toyota is formulating a plan for how best to address this. If they plan on replacing affected transmissions, it will take months to build up the additional inventory. Once the used transmission inventory is sufficient, they'll likely rebuild those and use them for future replacements. Regardless, the dealer network will need the personnel to handle it. Some shops are short on quality techs, and no dealer is going to assign a master tech to warranty work.

Oh, and they also have Tundra engines to manage. I know that during the frame replacement ordeal, some shops had dedicated techs who did nothing but that. Depending on the specific needs of the vehicle, they could knock out a truck in just a few hours.

Then again, this is strictly conjecture, and I could be completely wrong—so feel free to ignore this post.
This reflects my current thinking. I’m in the TSB range, have some of the symptoms (not super bad), and have put it out of my mind. If it goes bad, they’ll fix it. I am probably on the far end of the toyota diehard spectrum, so my views could be fringe. I’ve owned many Toyotas and they all pulled me through thick and thin for hundreds of thousands of miles. I just don’t think toyota will fuck us. This will take a long time for us to know the story. It’s not worth worrying about. They will fix every failed transmission.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
So - this is weird - lately when I start my truck cold from being undriven over night - the transmission is “warm” — according to carista 100 degrees when ambient overnight temp is like 75. Is that normal?

I literally just got a carista but I had noticed the temp bar having a small reading the last couple weeks in AM - never remember it doing that in the past. Was always blank like the engine coolant temp until a couple minutes of driving. Now it starts warm.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
So - this is weird - lately when I start my truck cold from being undriven over night - the transmission is “warm” — according to carista 100 degrees when ambient overnight temp is like 75. Is that normal?
Yep - definitely sounds weird to me. I have never seen any engine or transmission not go back to ambient temperature after sitting overnight.

It would be interesting to see if there is a reason for that or if it is just bad data.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Yep - definitely sounds weird to me. I have never seen any engine or transmission not go back to ambient temperature after sitting overnight.

It would be interesting to see if there is a reason for that or if it is just bad data.
Yeah. Super weird. To me it seems more likely it’s a bad sensor because .. how? I’ll test max ATF temp today on a 60 mile drive and report out.

Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
After 35 miles it went from 140 to 200 — not sure if that’s good or bad. Need more data.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
That seems reasonable, but it would be nice if Toyota published an acceptable temperature range.
Sponsored