Sponsored

Why would Toyota ship a Tacoma 4-Wheel Drive with a Donut spare tire???

johnregrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Yesterday I took delivery of a 2024 SR5 4-wheel drive. I had pre- ordered five Michelin LTX tires for it as I don't like OEM Firestone tires.

At the shop when they went to install the new tires they discovered that the factory spare is a donut tire and not a full size spare.

I guess I can live with that except 17 inch Tacoma SR steel wheels are on "national backorder" with no expected date of availability. The dealer can't even pre-order one for me so I could get in line and wait.

I want a steel wheel that comes standard equipment on a 2024 SR model Tacoma because the SR5 Aluminum wheel will just get bashed up stored under the truck.

After-market apparently does not produce that steel wheel yet because the stud size changed on 2024 model Tacoma trucks. The stud holes are smaller on 2023 and earlier model Tacoma trucks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Yesterday I took delivery of a 2024 SR5 4-wheel drive. I had pre- ordered five Michelin LTX tires for it as I don't like OEM Firestone.
At the shop when they went to install the tires they noted that the spare is a donut tire and not a full size spare.
I guess I can live with that except 17" Toyota steel wheels are on "national backorder" with no expected date of availability. The dealer can't even pre-order for me so I can get in line and wait.
I want a steel wheel that comes standard equipment on a SR model truck because an Aluminum wheel will just get bashed up under the truck.
After-market apparently does not product that wheel yet because the stud size changed for Tacoma's on 2024 trucks.
Will a full size tire fit?

Sponsored

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
I read only the TRD models get the full size tire but I’m not sure
TRD OR (base,no upgrade pkg) here in Canada...spare is labeled 'convenience spare 245 75 R17"

I'm sure it comes down to pinching pennies by Toyota but it's ridiculous.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
My trd sport the came with 18s also came with a 17” convenience spare. Pretty lame.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
They should at least make it an accessory upgrade.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Yesterday I took delivery of a 2024 SR5 4-wheel drive. I had pre- ordered five Michelin LTX tires for it as I don't like OEM Firestone.
At the shop when they went to install the tires they noted that the spare is a donut tire and not a full size spare.
I guess I can live with that except 17" Toyota steel wheels are on "national backorder" with no expected date of availability. The dealer can't even pre-order for me so I can get in line and wait.
I want a steel wheel that comes standard equipment on a SR model truck because an Aluminum wheel will just get bashed up under the truck.
After-market apparently does not product that wheel yet because the stud size changed for Tacoma's on 2024 trucks.
common theme on accessories. Nothing available and no timeline.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
For those interested...
I did a tire swap at dealership at time of purchase. They gave me $500 for oem tires.
I had them install Nokian Outpost nAT
255 75 R17 onto oem wheels AND the spare wheel. Convenience spare was 245 75 so getting the new tire to fit on spare wheel wasn't an issue.
Had I gone with the popular 285 70..it wouldn't have fit the spare wheel (tire too wide) plus mounting to spare location would have impacted ground clearance quite a bit more than my pizza cutter.
This tire size is a tad larger diameter than factory tire about 1/2"..also known as a true 32" whereas factory tires 265 70 17 measures closer to 31.5".
Image of spare. Sits close to tow hitch receiver level and well above rear diff.
Is ground clearance affected..i think a little yes but it sure is nice to have a proper full size spare that I can trust vs that convenience spare crapola
2024 Tacoma Why would Toyota ship a Tacoma 4-Wheel Drive with a Donut spare tire??? 20240622_131920
2024 Tacoma Why would Toyota ship a Tacoma 4-Wheel Drive with a Donut spare tire??? 20240622_132016
2024 Tacoma Why would Toyota ship a Tacoma 4-Wheel Drive with a Donut spare tire??? 20240622_131825
2024 Tacoma Why would Toyota ship a Tacoma 4-Wheel Drive with a Donut spare tire??? Screenshot_20240615-141140_Gallery
Sponsored