Hybrid vs Nonhybrid 2024 Tacoma

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
Is the hybrid better than the nonhybrid? What's the difference in pr?
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
No one knows as the price is not out yet. Maybe March or April for pricing as they don't go in to production until April at the earliest.

The tundra is a good example to look at on where pricing delta may land.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
Is the hybrid better than the nonhybrid? What's the difference in pr?
What's your definition of "better"? If better means you want/need to go faster quicker, maybe get a couple of MPG better, and a 2400 watt inverter instead of 400, go hybrid; if not, save the probably $3,000 for a simpler, but still totally great Taco! And $3,000 buys a lot of gas!

OP
OP

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
The bigger engine is $3,000 more? If so, I'll get the other engine. That's a steep increase. Any idea when the price will be announced?

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
The bigger engine is $3,000 more? If so, I'll get the other engine. That's a steep increase. Any idea when the price will be announced?
Same engine. The difference in cost is the battery/hybrid system. I do agree, if a $3000 (est) difference, one will go a long way before breaking even. As I see it, the real advantage in the hybrid system is the additional power, especially if towing.

Sponsored

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
Probably this summer, and as Nuke said, it's the same engine, just an addition of the battery/hybrid system. I also wonder how much the additional weight will detract from mpg? I'm going I Force, not Max, doing a rear seat delete, and giving my 100 lb Pittie/Mastiff a lot more room!

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
An advantage to the hybrid system is, as I understand it, no alternator, and the starter is used rarely. Not sure if the A/C compressor is electric or belt driven. Still, in my personal opinion, does not justify the additional cost. And, the increased complexity of the clutch system associated with the electric motor, when is still to be proven as reliable.

OP
OP

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
Most people are going with the standard engine. I may go.with it instead of the hybrid.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
especially if towing.
I’ll be curious to see real payload numbers on hybrid - particularly 4wd crew cabs. The non-hybrids are still pretty low. I’m seeing ~1200 lbs from reviews that show door sticker. If hybrid system cuts into that number then wouldn’t have much payload left for towing or hauling.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Land Cruiser. 1993 4x4 V6 Deluxe Xtra Cab
An advantage to the hybrid system is, as I understand it, no alternator, and the starter is used rarely.
The MAX system is not a "traditional" Toyota hybrid system. The MAX system simply sandwiches an electric motor between the engine & transmission, and kicks in only during takeoff or pedal requests for significantly more power. There still is an alternator in the MAX trucks. The electric motor does NOT run full time, does NOT offer a short distance EV only mode. It is designed to add significant power & torque boosts to the gas motor, and fuel economy is only slightly better than the gas motor in both city and highway, unlike the bigger mpg boost from the more traditional hybrid systems.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
After reading the comments here, i think I'll go non-hybrid. There's not enough difference in two to justify the cost difference. The standard engine has more power and performance than my 19 TRD OFF ROAD 4X4 auto. Am I right?

dirkdiggler

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tacoma Sport, 2018 Tacoma OR
As stated above, the Tundra gives us a rough idea of the cost. The performance increase is certainly attractive and I did think about waiting however for another 3k I'm almost into Tundra territory. Tundras are being deeply discounted to below invoice at some dealers, so 60k trucks can be had for 8k off. Granted a Tundra doesn't fit everyone's needs...for me it;s a toss up.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
I’m aiming for a TH, which is well into well-equipped Tundra pricing. But the Tundra is way too big for my needs.

The hybrid is a must for me because my work gives me an extra $200 a month in my car allowance for driving a hybrid. Any other benefits from the hybrid is just a bonus.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
The MAX system is not a "traditional" Toyota hybrid system. The MAX system simply sandwiches an electric motor between the engine & transmission, and kicks in only during takeoff or pedal requests for significantly more power. There still is an alternator in the MAX trucks. The electric motor does NOT run full time, does NOT offer a short distance EV only mode. It is designed to add significant power & torque boosts to the gas motor, and fuel economy is only slightly better than the gas motor in both city and highway, unlike the bigger mpg boost from the more traditional hybrid systems.
If I am not mistaken, the primary starter in the Tundra hybrid is the electric motor, with a standard starter as a backup, and during especially cold conditions. However, I have no idea if the Tacoma system will be the same. Unsure re the alternator. I like the electric A/C compressor, IF used, as no magnetic clutch, belt, or seal issues to contend with.

Last edited:

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
The guess is about $3,000 more for the iForceMax (Hybrid) compared to the iForce (ICE). The hybrid will get you 326 HP and 465 lb. ft torque, compared to 278hp and 317 lb. ft of torque with the regular gas (ICE). So it's not just a little difference, it could drive like a completely different truck.

I have a RAV4 Prime (Plug in Hybrid), I have driven a standard ICE RAV4. I would never buy the ICE version of that vehicle, it feels very slow and underpowered after the Prime.

You also get a 2,400 watt outlet in the bed (which for me is a big deal) larger tires on hybrid versions (the hybrid Off Road will have larger tires than the ICE Off Road), maybe a little better gas mileage, and almost certainly better resale.

Negatives are extra weight and you lose storage under the back seat. I dont care about the storage because those seats will never be down anyway, an adult human can't sit back there (IMO).

I would've preferred a hybrid system that was a little lighter on the torque/hp and more focused on efficiency (a 4x4 Tacoma that got 30mpg would've been amazing), thats why I still have to think about it. I'm waiting until the iForceMax prices come out to make a final decision. By then we should have feedback if the trucks are giving people trouble too..

My opinion, if it's just an extra $3,000 I'll probably do it. I'd rather spend $3,000 on the Hybrid system than heated seats/steering wheel, fake leather, etc. Hybrid systems are starting be like A/C in the 70's and 80's. It used to be unreliable and people thought it wasn't worth the extra headaches. Now, you just assume it's there and it rarely gives you trouble. Especially from Toyota, they dont like full Battery Electric Cars, but they've pretty much perfected Hybrid Technology.
Sponsored

Last edited: