TFL's 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4's 4WD Broke Down Deep in the Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
Are there no rear recovery points on Andre's Trail Boss?
Scrub the video to 18:47 through to 19:10 and Roman hooked up that recovery strap to the safety chain loop on the trailer hitch.
I'm sure it's a strong point but I would avoid that if at all possible, if that fails ouch.
It’s crazy that all these utubers have no idea what they’re doing. Most can’t even drive a manual transmission😂 That attachment point was super unsafe. Should have put a pin in the receiver and attached strap directly inside that
Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Both trucks are wearing the factory tires and both trucks are marketed as the entry level “off road” trim, I don’t see how this was an unfair comparison. They were even knocking the Colorado for missing some features and saying “the Tacoma may have a stronger transfer case” at the beginning of the video.

I’ve been watching TFL for years and while they do try to be “first” they have never been a channel that buys a truck to abuse it for clickbait reasons. They test almost all of their trucks and even press loaners about the same. Other than towing a lightweight trailer after a few hundred miles, that truck had over 1k miles of break in before they did any of their testing with it. They weren’t even driving it aggressively. A lot of crossovers will cut power even with the pedal floored as part of their traction control. The Tacoma would probably do the same if necessary.

my guess is physical damage in the transfer case or the CV spline popped out. CV seems less likely since they weren’t turned or flexed.

I agree, no hate towards them or Colorado's lol, the Colorado was my second choice and probably would've been my first if it wasn't for the automatic transmission. They've and a few other creators I've seen have definitely been stress testing well before the break in period was over though which is what I was pointing more towards, compared to the babying most will do for the first 1000 miles or so.

I've seen a few videos where I really seen the Tacoma being put to it's tests and I could've very well been mistaking another content creator for these guys.

That said, I stand with my guess being a one off thing and not a major problem across the board, the test Tacoma's have been put through much more than a simple icy incline lol.

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
I agree, no hate towards them or Colorado's lol, the Colorado was my second choice and probably would've been my first if it wasn't for the automatic transmission. They've and a few other creators I've seen have definitely been stress testing well before the break in period was over though which is what I was pointing more towards, compared to the babying most will do for the first 1000 miles or so.

I've seen a few videos where I really seen the Tacoma being put to it's tests and I could've very well been mistaking another content creator for these guys.

That said, I stand with my guess being a one off thing and not a major problem across the board, the test Tacoma's have been put through much more than a simple icy incline lol.
I'm looking at the ZR2 as a 2nd choice but I'm just not a fan of round air vents.... and for that price Chevy could have done a lot more features.

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
I'd be more worried if it didn't seem like they almost intentionally tried to break it. No break in whatsoever, towed on the first day, max load towing a few days later , drag raced a 3G days after, then yea let's go wheeling up an icy mountain with shit tires.

No actual owner is going to treat it like this in the first 2 weeks. This was done for entertainment. The fact that they released a teaser of it shows that.
id rather them tourture test it and make it public. we Toyota fan boys are buying on reliability. Toyota loses in a lot of categories but if this one fails it's brand hopping.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
we Toyota fan boys are buying on reliability
That's literally what is propping up the price at this point... Toyota would be doomed without it so I'd expect them to go all-out in addressing these early issues. The current price point is already pushing the limits of what ppl would tolerate buying from an allocation system vs. getting a custom-build

Sponsored

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
That's literally what is propping up the price at this point... Toyota would be doomed without it so I'd expect them to go all-out in addressing these early issues. The current price point is already pushing the limits of what ppl would tolerate buying from an allocation system vs. getting a custom-build
I agree. but what's crazy is that while we all complain about price these things sell as soon as they hit the lot so supply and demand. people are buying them....

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
hese things sell as soon as they hit the lot
Historically yes but only 5K sold last month. This is the point of the relay when 3rd gen passes off the baton to 4th gen, and if 4g has quality *and* supply issues? Ruh Roh

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
Historically yes but only 5K sold last month. This is the point of the relay when 3rd gen passes off the baton to 4th gen, and if 4g has quality *and* supply issues? Ruh Roh
thats because there's none on the lot and they aren't producing a lot so they can't sell a lot. my local dealerships have them for about a day tops and they are sold.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
thats because there's none on the lot and they aren't producing a lot so they can't sell a lot
Yeah, that's the 'supply' part of the issue. My point is if this were a relay, they are fumbling the handoff in potentially multiple ways now. It's one thing to wait months with no info for a truck thought to be the best in the market. It's quite another thing to wait months with no info for a truck with potentially serious quality issues.

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
Yeah, that's the 'supply' part of the issue. My point is if this were a relay, they are fumbling the handoff in potentially multiple ways now. It's one thing to wait months with no info for a truck thought to be the best in the market. It's quite another thing to wait months with no info for a truck with potentially serious quality issues.
couldn't agree more. I mean if any company took as long as Toyota did to put out a vehicle and kept at it for 10 years im sure they'd be just as reliable. but taking this long with driveshafts blowing out is no bueno. im really curious as to why this supply chain stuff has gotten so bad over the years even before covid. I mean this is simple shit thats breaking in new vehicles,, infotainment systems, door seals ext.. I mean I just watched a video of TFL blow out a driveshaft on low traction snow. I'm not a process engineer but I don't understand why the exact same truck is built at two different factories.. how much does it really cost to ship a vehicle accross Mexico to a port.

Sponsored

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
I'd be more worried if it didn't seem like they almost intentionally tried to break it. No break in whatsoever, towed on the first day, max load towing a few days later , drag raced a 3G days after, then yea let's go wheeling up an icy mountain with shit tires.

No actual owner is going to treat it like this in the first 2 weeks. This was done for entertainment. The fact that they released a teaser of it shows that.
right! right off the factory floor they went on a extremely long road trip.

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
Slipping freely on ice, only to suddenly grab on hard packed sand, is the equivalent of doing a neutral drop in 4 wheel drive. No, it's not great that it failed, but it's not completely out of left field either. It's not going to sway me either way.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.