TFL's 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4's 4WD Broke Down Deep in the Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNWblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Yeah, this break should have never happened and tires make no difference here. More traction = more stress on the parts and this was a snow/ice situation with very little grip. We can still hope it was an assembly error, but it doesn't look good when no vehicle in their history of running this trail has had this failure
Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
My money's on an assembly error, was he not also revving that pretty high on rock that was already spun on a few times from the Colorado. Is it possible the Tacoma could've hooked dry rock on that high rev and blew a CV or something? I think the first mistake was taking that truck on them tires on a icy course like that and calling it a fair test between Colorado and Tacoma lmao.

None the less these guys have been really stress testing this truck straight from the dealer, I don't see this being a major recall or anything of that nature. Hopefully just a one off.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
We shouldn't make excuses for it, and IMO predicting assembly error is an excuse. I think if anything an assembly error would be worse than a part breaking, because that would mean dumbasses are building our trucks.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I broke my passenger side CV axle, clean break after launching about 4 feet in the air at a Parker 400 race back in the day with my old 86 Toyota. Still finished the race with the broken CV axle in a garbage bag in back.

It happens..

ScannedImage-3.jpg

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
Hammering it? That was not a "send it" moment. I chuckle at the opinions of what happened. I've broken and replaced many an axel shaft (and other parts) on the trail. Most of these had been from binding and there was no binding in this event. I've wheeled my wife's Outback harder than what is shown. Tires, trailer towing, 1/4 mile run, improper break-in? I doubt any of these were a factor. If they did contribute, then this truck would be the biggest POS ever produced.

Sponsored

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Hammering it? That was not a "send it" moment. I chuckle at the opinions of what happened. I've broken and replaced many an axel shaft (and other parts) on the trail. Most of these had been from binding and there was no binding in this event. I've wheeled my wife's Outback harder than what is shown. Tires, trailer towing, 1/4 mile run, improper break-in? I doubt any of these were a factor. If they did contribute, then this truck would be the biggest POS ever produced.
Agreed. I'm thinking just a defective part.

TacoFly

First Name
PC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Crosstrek, 21 Bronco FE, 07 TRD Taco (Sold)
I find it funny that the TFL video isn't posted on the Main News page........but bad PR verse enthusiasm is the balance I suppose. I know it's a Toyota forum but it's funny how confirmation bias rules.......Oh, it's a Toyota so they'll fix it as opposed to all the negative Ford, Jeep or GM/Chevy comments, and how they are all horrible and fall apart. I had a 2007 TRD off-road, loved the truck overall but it was in twice for bad rusting and new leaf springs because the originals were badly under sprung. Nothings perfect and I'm sure Toyota will fix this new issue, hopefully it does go better than the all new Tundra.

PNWblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I find it funny that the TFL video isn't posted on the Main News page........but bad PR verse enthusiasm is the balance I suppose. I know it's a Toyota forum but it's funny how confirmation bias rules.......Oh, it's a Toyota so they'll fix it as opposed to all the negative Ford, Jeep or GM/Chevy comments, and how they are all horrible and fall apart. I had a 2007 TRD off-road, loved the truck overall but it was in twice for bad rusting and new leaf springs because the originals were badly under sprung. Nothings perfect and I'm sure Toyota will fix this new issue, hopefully it does go better than the all new Tundra.
See, that's what bothers me the most. They went through a lot of problems with the 22 launch of the Tundra and a lot of components on the Taco are used in other vehicles already but just packaged differently. I guess for us early adopters this is the dice we're gonna roll.

calicoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD OR
I find it funny that the TFL video isn't posted on the Main News page........but bad PR verse enthusiasm is the balance I suppose. I know it's a Toyota forum but it's funny how confirmation bias rules.......Oh, it's a Toyota so they'll fix it as opposed to all the negative Ford, Jeep or GM/Chevy comments, and how they are all horrible and fall apart.
Maybe because it's a single vehicle and not enough sample size to freak out over? A lot of the Ford/Jeep/Chevy/GM negativity comes from long running issues/recalls/stop sales.

TFL's is a single truck that broke down in a very public way. If this starts happening to a lot of 2024's I don't think you will see many people apologizing on behalf of Toyota.

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
My money's on an assembly error, was he not also revving that pretty high on rock that was already spun on a few times from the Colorado. Is it possible the Tacoma could've hooked dry rock on that high rev and blew a CV or something? I think the first mistake was taking that truck on them tires on a icy course like that and calling it a fair test between Colorado and Tacoma lmao.

None the less these guys have been really stress testing this truck straight from the dealer, I don't see this being a major recall or anything of that nature. Hopefully just a one off.
Both trucks are wearing the factory tires and both trucks are marketed as the entry level “off road” trim, I don’t see how this was an unfair comparison. They were even knocking the Colorado for missing some features and saying “the Tacoma may have a stronger transfer case” at the beginning of the video.

I’ve been watching TFL for years and while they do try to be “first” they have never been a channel that buys a truck to abuse it for clickbait reasons. They test almost all of their trucks and even press loaners about the same. Other than towing a lightweight trailer after a few hundred miles, that truck had over 1k miles of break in before they did any of their testing with it. They weren’t even driving it aggressively. A lot of crossovers will cut power even with the pedal floored as part of their traction control. The Tacoma would probably do the same if necessary.

my guess is physical damage in the transfer case or the CV spline popped out. CV seems less likely since they weren’t turned or flexed.

Sponsored

Sockeye

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma 2023 4Runner Bell 205 Helicopter
Are there no rear recovery points on Andre's Trail Boss?
Scrub the video to 18:47 through to 19:10 and Roman hooked up that recovery strap to the safety chain loop on the trailer hitch.
I'm sure it's a strong point but I would avoid that if at all possible, if that fails ouch.

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Scrub the video to 18:47 and Roman hooked up that recovery strap to the safety chain loop on the trailer hitch.
I'm sure it's a strong point but I would avoid that if at all possible, if that fails ouch.
Holy shit.

TacoFly

First Name
PC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Crosstrek, 21 Bronco FE, 07 TRD Taco (Sold)
Maybe because it's a single vehicle and not enough sample size to freak out over? A lot of the Ford/Jeep/Chevy/GM negativity comes from long running issues/recalls/stop sales.

TFL's is a single truck that broke down in a very public way. If this starts happening to a lot of 2024's I don't think you will see many people apologizing on behalf of Toyota.
You say that, and I agree but..... I've had two Rangers and one Taco, and looking back from 1995......they were equal in reliability.....but my Taco had worse rust and bad leaf springs. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Scrub the video to 18:47 and Roman hooked up that recovery strap to the safety chain loop on the trailer hitch.
I noticed that too and I was like uhhhhhhhh

MyEvilTwin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Toyota SR5
So neither Roman or Andre Smirnov couldn't find anything leaking or hanging from under the Tacoma. The drive shaft connecting the transfer case to the front wheels appeared to be fine as well. Diff failure? Axle disconnect failed? Guess we will have to wait
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.