Sponsored

285/70/17 tires with or without lift?

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Have you happened to try fitting one in the spare tire mount underneath?
I have not, I read on another thread that it might fit aired down and with the axle dump exhaust installed.

I haven't seen a picture of someone actually installing a full size down there yet though.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
I have not, I read on another thread that it might fit aired down and with the axle dump exhaust installed.

I haven't seen a picture of someone actually installing a full size down there yet though.
I guess you'd also have to consider ground clearance as well. I've been looking at various posts and some are storing underneath for street use (gen 3 appears to fit 33's with a little hammering) and tying down in the bed for off-road.

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road in Celestial Silver

I installed a full-size 285/70 r17 under the bed. It fits. The tires are wider but honestly I think it kinda looks badass with the bigger spare. It looks like it might impact my departure angle, but the tires are built to support the weight of the truck and they might even protect my trailer hitch a bit. Definitely it will get me home if I ever need it. Stock suspension and wheels, no mods to exhaust. Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1092.JPG
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1093.JPG
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1091.JPG
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1090.JPG

rpigeek

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I think I might go with the 285/70R17 but use a 235/85R17 for the spare. I’m ok with the “donut” to keep it small. But good to know that circumference works.

Sponsored

taco.b0ut.it

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Off-Road Long Bed
I installed a full-size 285/70 r17 under the bed. It fits. The tires are wider but honestly I think it kinda looks badass with the bigger spare. It looks like it might impact my departure angle, but the tires are built to support the weight of the truck and they might even protect my trailer hitch a bit. Definitely it will get me home if I ever need it. Stock suspension and wheels, no mods to exhaust. Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
Hey, you were able to install the full size 285 on the metal spare rim? That's awesome. Can you show any pictures of what it looks like underneath a bit? TIA!

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Hey, you were able to install the full size 285 on the metal spare rim? That's awesome. Can you show any pictures of what it looks like underneath a bit? TIA!
I'd also be curious of a few more pictures at normal height from around/behind the truck to get a better idea of how it looks. This is the first time I've seen a 285/70/17 mounted in that location. Did you have to deflate the tire at all? Appreciate the info!

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd also be curious of a few more pictures at normal height from around/behind the truck to get a better idea of how it looks. This is the first time I've seen a 285/70/17 mounted in that location. Did you have to deflate the tire at all? Appreciate the info!
I did not have to deflate the tire.
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1107.JPG
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1108.JPG
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1106.JPG
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1096.JPG
2024 Tacoma 285/70/17 tires with or without lift? IMG_1105.JPG

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
Thanks for the pictures. Can you tell if this changes your departure angle at all?
Tires are taller than stock, it'll probably give you a true .5" lift (true because you're also lifting the axle where suspension lifts don't do that)... so yes, it will slightly increase your approach, breakover and departure angles.

Sponsored

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Tires are taller than stock, it'll probably give you a true .5" lift (true because you're also lifting the axle where suspension lifts don't do that)... so yes, it will slightly increase your approach, breakover and departure angles.
Sorry - my question was in regard to the full size spare sticking out lower than the stock stare - does that decrease the departure angle?

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the pictures, so you put the 285 on the spare rim?
Yes. I used the factory spare rim.
It probably reduces my departure angle slightly. I gained a little from the bigger tires and lost the bit I gained by installing the larger spare under the truck. It is about a wash but the spare might actually protect the tow hitch a bit. I imagine that the lowest point is probably still the exhaust.
Sponsored