Drivetrain Issue: Hard Shifting and Losing Turbo

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma
Today I went to the store and my truck did a hard shift from first into second as I was pulling away from my house.
- Drove to the store without further issue.
- Parked and was inside for about 10 minutes.
- Attempted a remote start while inside the store, even though the truck was locked it didn't start.
- Started truck from inside the cab and began the drive back home.
- Had another hard shift from first into second coming out of the parking lot. Wife commented on it. But we were coming to a stop.
- Light changed, hard shift from first into second. So I applied gentler throttle, figuring it was my fault or something.
- Then got a very hard shift from 3rd into 4th and completely lost throttle for about two or three seconds.
- I gave it some more throttle as I was coasting in traffic and the gas pedal went to the floor. When I say to the floor, it felt like there was zero resistance in the pedal and my foot went completely to the floor.
- Turbo was completely dead. Throttle barely moved the truck. No engine feedback.
- Coasted to the next stop and turned off the truck at the light, restarted the truck.
- Truck started back up without issue, gas pedal reengaged, it didn't hard shift again from first into second.
- Turned into my neighborhood and the truck drove normally for the rest of the drive home. It was fine at the four way stop near my house and again at the three way stop on my corner.

It's parked in the driveway now and I'm contemplating what to do. It didn't throw any indicators the entire drive, and it was literally a 15 minute round trip. So, I'm pretty sure that without codes, the service department isn't going to know how to diagnose this issue. Also pretty sure if I keep driving it, the transmission is going to fail at some point.

It was particularly bothersome that I lost throttle at 45 mph and I was pretty lucky I was able to coast into the turn lane to restart my truck.

On the phone, on hold with my service department while typing this. Gonna see what they recommend.

Truck has less than 1200 on the ODO.

UPDATE:

Dealership was able to do an OTA diagnosis on it.
Basically read off everything I stated and had exact timestamps and mileage for the events.

The truck threw the code B277A96 when I attempted to remote start it.

The code cleared after I turned the truck off and turned it back on after the hard shift and throttle events and now the truck isn't showing any codes at all.

Incidentally, that's when it started acting normal again.

Edit: Taking it to the dealership on Monday morning (if it drives). Hopefully it's something simple to fix and not an actual drivetrain issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I was driving the other day and my TRD Sport shifted hard when I took my foot off the gas at ~40 mph. I couldn't tell if it thumped upshifting or downshifting but I could feel it in the gas pedal and in my seat. I hope it's still "learning" my driving patterns and not screwing up. I don't even have 1,000 miles on it yet.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealership was able to do an OTA diagnosis on it.
Basically read off everything I stated and had exact timestamps and mileage for the events.

The truck threw the code B277A96 when I attempted to remote start it.

The code cleared after I turned the truck off and turned it back on after the hard shift and throttle events and now the truck isn't showing any codes at all.

Incidentally, that's when it started acting normal again.

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground
Today I went to the store and my truck did a hard shift from first into second as I was pulling away from my house.
- Attempted a remote start while inside the store, even though the truck was locked it didn't start.
- Had another hard shift from first into second coming out of the parking lot. Wife commented on it. But we were coming to a stop.
- Light changed, hard shift from first into second. So I applied gentler throttle, figuring it was my fault or something.
- Then got a very hard shift from 3rd into 4th and completely lost throttle for about two or three seconds.
- I gave it some more throttle as I was coasting in traffic and the gas pedal went to the floor. When I say to the floor, it felt like there was zero resistance in the pedal and my foot went completely to the floor.
- Turbo was completely dead. Throttle barely moved the truck. No engine feedback.
- Coasted to the next stop and turned off the truck at the light, restarted the truck.
- Truck started back up without issue, gas pedal reengaged, it didn't hard shift again from first into second.
- Turned into my neighborhood and the truck drove normally for the rest of the drive home. It was fine at the four way stop near my house and again at the three way stop on my corner.

It's parked in the driveway now and I'm contemplating what to do. It didn't throw any indicators the entire drive, and it was literally a 15 minute round trip. So, I'm pretty sure that without codes, the service department isn't going to know how to diagnose this issue. Also pretty sure if I keep driving it, the transmission is going to fail at some point.

It was particularly bothersome that I lost throttle at 45 mph and I was pretty lucky I was able to coast into the turn lane to restart my truck.

On the phone, on hold with my service department while typing this. Gonna see what they recommend.

Edit: Taking it to the dealership on Monday morning (if it drives). Hopefully it's something simple to fix and not an actual drivetrain issue.
What sub model do you have SR, SR5, Sport, or OR. Also if equipped what drive mode were you in? ie: ECO, Normal, or Sport.
Also not all active code put the CEL on. Some will be pending and if it goes inactive no CELwill come on. Yet it will be in the ECU and the service can see all codes active and inactive.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What sub model do you have SR, SR5, Sport, or OR. Also if equipped what drive mode were you in? ie: ECO, Normal, or Sport.
Also not all active code put the CEL on. Some will be pending and if it goes inactive no CELwill come on. Yet it will be in the ECU and the service can see all codes active and inactive.
Off-Road Premium.
Normal.

jmalski4865

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Offroad

4500 miles and ZERO issues on my TRD Off Road

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
My 4th gen sr5 has a kinda hard shift from 1-2 gear but only once when I first start driving the truck. Mine has 200 miles on it. Only complaint I have, something tells me it’s a software issue or just the truck learning

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
for what its worth, when my truck was new I used to experience rough shifts from 2-3. Took like 3000 miles before everything smoothed out. I guess it was just the computer learning?

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
for what its worth, when my truck was new I used to experience rough shifts from 2-3. Took like 3000 miles before everything smoothed out. I guess it was just the computer learning?
I guess that’s very possible