Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
looks like you don’t have the bracket hooked into the track correctly. That screw should also pass through the hole in the back of the bracket and yours seems to be hitting. I’ve also attached a pic of mine for reference.
IMG_5728.jpeg
IMG_5303.jpeg
Had the same issue. The installer that I ended up taking it to ended up taking the rack off and marking where the clamps went before installing the rail. He told me that if the rail side isn't seated properly the whole install is bad. Once you get that clamp seated in the rail you should be better off. Also, the last clamp closest to the front of the truck needs to be moved away from the location specified in the instructions as it doesn't allow the cover clamp to lock into the rail.
Sponsored

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I just installed the OEM cover. It’s huge upgrade over the prior OEM covers. The prior cover was awful plastic and stood up quite a bit from the top of the bed. In our prior Gen3 Tacos, we ditched the OEM covers and purchased the Armor Tech tonneau cover.

The new cover is bascially identical with the Bakflip/Armor Flex tonnneaus. With the new Gen4 OEM cover, the best part is full retention of the OEM rail system. Can still slide accessories full-length. :) Installation was a breeze, even without instructions.

One element with these solid tonneau covers is they make an excellent impromptu workspace. When I convert the garage to a weekend wood shop, the cover is a wonderful, huge work table. Can't do that with the vinyl roll up covers.

Recommended.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma IMG_2201

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma IMG_2200

Last edited:

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Kjc - To add a little to what Tekoma and bsquaredMTB said, see my post #128 in this thread for more pictures and what I learned in the process. The three of us have had similar experiences with the MX4 and learned the hard way what wasn't called out in the instructions very well.

Key points:
  • the front flap of the cover must be on top of the front wall of the bed to provide enough clearance for the tailgate.
  • the MX4 adaptor rails must be vertical and parallel with the existing oem rails. If they aren't, the MX4 adapter rails will be too low for the cover panel locking tabs to reach and the cover won't latch closed. The only way to do that is by positioning the clamps just right - there isn't much tolerance.

Anyone that bought the MX4 have some advise on set up plz.... I'm having trouble with the rails how did you guys get them straight? Here's a couple pics of what I have going on so far.... Plus the instructions say "alternate mounting locations" what the heck does that mean... Shouldn't there be only one way to install 😀

Do I have the clamps on wrong? It's also causing my bed to pull up a little(more that it already was)

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Thanks for the help guys... So I got it installed and learned the hard way about the 2 clamps closest to the cab after getting everything in there (marked and snapped it) as suggested... I put the cover on and the last clamps where in the way so I moved those but now they are so far up I'm not sure if they are doing anything... I like the cover but definitely disappointed with the instructions... Also it says to (use alternative clamping locations) but doesn't tell you... YOU HAVE TO USE Alternative location for the last 2 clamps... Also it shows it going through the clamps into that T-nut that we already used for putting on the adaptor rail... Anyway here are some pics of the headache I have... Let me know if it still looks fishy.... I live in Alaska so it was hard to get it shipped up so I'm really trying to keep it... The more I see the OEM with the drop rail the more upset I get 😂 😀 😁... I also used baks drain tubs to a 5/8 to 1/4 hose barb

*Edit Also looks like I'm already leaking somewhere
🙄🙄 And what are the last two black sticky foams for? Doesn't say anything about it in my instructions...The one picture is drivers side by the cab is kinda deformed hopefully from shipping it's definitely sticking up

Thanks for everyones help

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_182102

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_175452

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_182132

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_181806

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_182254

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_181707

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_182539

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_182531

Last edited:

Sponsored

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
From the pics, it looks like it is set up right.

I managed to get the front 2 clamps positioned so they don't interfere with the cover bolt knobs and are still holding the cover and rail together.

5/8 inch to 1/4 inch barb reducer for the drain tubes was my plan as well and should arrive tomorrow.

The foam blocks don't need to be used. Believe they were for the previous gen where the rail at the cab needed them. Not needed for the 2024 but others have used them to fill gaps where rain might get through.

Reactions: Kjc

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Also, I haven't even tried to get it water tight. Based on what I've seen most of these covers are NOT water tight. If anyone can make it water tight I'd love to hear how you did it!

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Tonneau fit great. Easy to install. Bed divider was too wide and needed modifications. Cut 3/4” off both ends of the divider and both rail brackets. Fits perfect. Put the attachment screw on the bottom side of the divider to give more room between the divider and tonneau. Very happy with them both.

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

IMG_3977.jpeg

IMG_3976.jpeg

IMG_3979.jpeg

IMG_3980.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg
Are you still happy with the modified bed divider and OEM tonneau ?
It doesnt look like a bed mat will fit under that.

Edit: I see you already answered the question about a bed mat in post 41.
Thanks

Last edited:

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
...used baks drain tubs to a 5/8 to 1/4 hose barb
Kjc - do you happen to have a link for the hose reducers you used or did you happen to have some on hand already?

I have these from Amazon which I can make work. I couldn't find any in black so was going to paint them. I may have to trim them a bit to work perfectly but they'll work.

If you happen to have a link handy, it might help someone else trying to do the same thing with the MX4.

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
Another little rain event and a better video showing how the new MX4 collects water in the underside “drain” of the aluminum cross rails and pours out on the contents of the bed when you open it.

I’m officially returning it now and going OEM. The OEM uses the old seal design which doesn’t do this. I do hope BAK fix this issue in the future. They made a few improvements with the new design but created a new issue plus loss of full accessory rail.

Sponsored

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Kjc - do you happen to have a link for the hose reducers you used or did you happen to have some on hand already?
So i just stopped at a hardware store on the way home...... They looked like what you ordered... I'm gonna come up with a more permanent solution... Take some pics of yours when it's finished

Jabstep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I just installed the OEM cover. It’s huge upgrade over the prior OEM covers. The prior cover was awful plastic and stood up quite a bit from the top of the bed. In our prior Gen3 Tacos, we ditched the OEM covers and purchased the Armor Tech tonneau cover.

The new cover is bascially identical with the Bakflip/Armor Flex tonnneaus. With the new Gen4 OEM cover, the best part is full retention of the OEM rail system. Can still slide accessories full-length. :) Installation was a breeze, even without instructions.

One element with these solid tonneau covers is they make an excellent impromptu workspace. When I convert the garage to a weekend wood shop, the cover is a wonderful, huge work table. Can't do that with the vinyl roll up covers.

Recommended.

IMG_2201.jpeg

IMG_2200.jpeg
When you fold it all the way up, can you utilize the bed camera?

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I haven't tried it personally but I think a few posts mentioned that you can use the rear view camera but the bed camera is blocked.

jmarion713

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2001 Ford Ranger xlt
I installed the oem cover and noticed there were only three holes in bed liner for drain hoses. Instructions say to use hole farthest from side for each hose. The oem bed liner has two central cutouts for what appear to be so hoses don't get cramped, but the right cutout doesn't have a hole. Is my bedliner missing a hole, or does everyone's only have three holes?

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I took a pic of the small hooks installed with the backflip mx4. They seem to sit nicely if you place the cover right up against them. I think people were asking about them before.

20240714_155848.jpg
Update to this. I ended up removing those clips so I could push the cover forward a bit more. I'm hoping that holds out the water a little better. In this configuration the only thing holding out the water was the rubber flap at the front of the cover.
Sponsored