Sponsored

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
Installed my OEM cover. I had 4 cotter pins left over. What do they go to?
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240724_201845
Sponsored

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
So i just stopped at a hardware store on the way home...... They looked like what you ordered... I'm gonna come up with a more permanent solution... Take some pics of yours when it's finished
Kjc - here are some pictures from the final install.

The original (clear) reducer from Amazon on the left, painted black, and inserted in the MX4 drain tube. I thought about using some sealer but it was a tight fit and I got 5-6 ribs of the tube on so didn't see the need.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1721872831340-82

The reducer is 1/8th inch OD as is the oem drain hole. The barbs are obviously a bigger diameter so I trimmed those off a little at a time until I got it to pop into the drain hole. It was still a very snug fit so it's not going to pop out while driving.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1721873335793-hk

Connection at the rail.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1721873574695-cr

Driver side final install.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1721873694599-v

I still like the look of the MX4 and think it'll do it's job, but the whole install (missing and unclear instructions) and tweaks like the drain tube reducer I wanted to do did turn this into more of a project.

Based on everyone else's comments, I'm not sure I'd recommend this particular MX4 gen. Hopefully this thread will make it less of a "project" if someone else is considering the MX4.

Reactions: Kjc

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Another "gotcha" on the install. I made the mistake of thinking the locking clips had to be adjusted to so I had remove the covers. I noticed that they weren't very easy to remove even after I made an adjustment. Turns out the plastic cover was sitting over that little black screw in the picture and it kept catching the railing. I ended up pushing it in with a screwdriver so it wasn't covering the screw and it's helped with the issue of unlocking each section. Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else ran into this.
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240725_102126

Sponsored

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
16037[/ATTACH]
Haven't checked mine yet but noticed one section I have to pull the cable a little harder than the others... Was your screw stripped or just wasn't screwed the way down?

Looks like they will strip out easily

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Haven't checked mine yet but noticed one section I have to pull the cable a little harder than the others... Was your screw stripped or just wasn't screwed the way down?

Looks like they will strip out easily
Yeah I've noticed the last section is a little bit tougher to unlock. As far as the plastic cover and the screw, I think it's just bad design. To be clearer, I've circled the screw I was talking about. I hadn't noticed the stripped out one that's also in the picture. Long story, short, the screw I circled was stopping the plastic cover (arrow) from sliding in all the way after I took it off to adjust the clipping part. I had to push the bottom of that cover past the circled screw. That's the part that was catching onto the rail previously.
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240725_102126

Last edited:

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Has anyone with the composite bed installed the MX4... I've had it for a week.. Don't think I would have installed it right without the guys from this thread, but I'm still having an issue... I used the weatherstriping on the "bulkhead" near the cab and now I'm looking at the instructions and it says maybe we don't need to unless we have a spray in liner... Anyway I've been noticing my seal is a little higher on one side maybe I need to remove my weatherstrip?

Any thoughts?

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240724_181615

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240722_181707

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
Has anyone with the composite bed installed the MX4... I've had it for a week.. Don't think I would have installed it right without the guys from this thread, but I'm still having an issue... I used the weatherstriping on the "bulkhead" near the cab and now I'm looking at the instructions and it says maybe we don't need to unless we have a spray in liner... Anyway I've been noticing my seal is a little higher on one side maybe I need to remove my weatherstrip?

Any thoughts?

20240724_181615.jpg

20240722_181707.jpg
you don’t need the weatherstripping on the bulkhead. The front seal sits nice and flat without it.

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
you don’t need the weatherstripping on the bulkhead. The front seal sits nice and flat without it.
Thanks for the advice.. I think I'm gonna remove the strip I put on there... Hopefully it will lay more flat now

Also noticing the last latch is slightly catching on one side more than the other... Not a huge deal seems to be perfectly centered but maybe I'm just being picky....

Last edited:

Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks for the advice.. I think I'm gonna remove the strip I put on there... Hopefully it will lay more flat now

Also noticing the last latch is slightly catching on one side more than the other... Not a huge deal seems to be perfectly centered but maybe I'm just being picky....
I was having the same issue with that last latch. Make sure the plastic cover is pushed behind the screw. I think that was my problem.

Bananarama

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Hey guys just wanted to let everyone know that the OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 fits nicely on the 2024 Tacoma.

If your dealer says it’s not on the catalog and they’re not sure if it will fit on the 2024, I’m here to let you guys know it does. Same thing happened to me and the parts guy didn’t want to order it for me at first but I assured him that I would take full responsibility if it didn’t fit which I knew it would because of the post that was made here with the Hawaii region getting them in and installing them.

After I placed the order, I got it the next day as they had it in stock in the next state over. As of now they don’t have the instruction manual but it’s pretty straight forward and I used the 2022+ Tundra installation instructions for reference. It’s very similar to the Bakflip MX4 and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same cover with Toyota branding. Hope this helps anyone!

IMG_2432.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

img_2507-jpeg.jpg

img_2506-jpeg.jpg
Hello,
I hope this finds you well.
Quick question. I ordered the bed cover today and then it came to me when I got home that my bike squeezes into the back with the tailgate closed without the cover on. Seeing from your pictures i will lose a few inches of full open bed space it seems that my bike will no longer be able to fit in the back unless i hang it over the tailgate with a pad of some sort. Now to get to my question. Have you tried removing the cover itself after install? If so is it difficult to get off and then place back on? Or has anyone other than the OP?

Edit: Also can you measure from it folded up as much as it can be to the tailgate?

Last edited:

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello,
I hope this finds you well.
Quick question. I ordered the bed cover today and then it came to me when I got home that my bike squeezes into the back with the tailgate closed without the cover on. Seeing from your pictures i will lose a few inches of full open bed space it seems that my bike will no longer be able to fit in the back unless i hang it over the tailgate with a pad of some sort. Now to get to my question. Have you tried removing the cover itself after install? If so is it difficult to get off and then place back on? Or has anyone other than the OP?

Edit: Also can you measure from it folded up as much as it can be to the tailgate?
if you read my post, you will see my comments about this. The OEM cover is definitely not super easy to remove and reinstall. The new BAK MX4 on the other hand is much easier… but the cover has other issues (again see my previous post).

Bananarama

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
if you read my post, you will see my comments about this. The OEM cover is definitely not super easy to remove and reinstall. The new BAK MX4 on the other hand is much easier… but the cover has other issues (again see my previous post).
Sorry... There is 14 pages of posts I did not see yours clearly. My bad. What is the process for removing it?

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry... There is 14 pages of posts I did not see yours clearly. My bad. What is the process for removing it?
there are two there bolts with seal rings, spacers, washers, lock washers, nuts, and safety cotter pins. It would be a serious pain to remove and reinstall on a regularly basis.
Sponsored