Sponsored

FirstTimeTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Premium
I installed my OEM tonneau this past weekend. On the whole, installation was easy... but I will point out a few lessons learned in hopes they benefit someone else.

1. The TORX T30 bolts in the deck rail can be wayyyy overtorqued from factory and strip out (this was the first time I ever stripped a torx bolt). Be careful removing these and maybe start with a manual driver instead of impact driver. My resolution was to use my oscillating tool to cut a big slot in the bolt cap, and then use a big 1/2" demolition slotted screwdriver to break it free. I had to use channel locks perpendicular to the driver to get enough torque to succeed. I attached a few pictures of the bolt and the tools I used.

bolt_slot.png

bolt_tools.png

2. Starting with the rails, try to push them towards the cab of the truck as far as you can before securing. The reason, is you want to make sure the support arms (for when the cover is folded up against the back window) can reach the cover to lock in, without pulling the cover towards the tailgate. If they pull the cover towards the tailgate, it will prevent the foam pads from resting against the window, and likely block your rearview camera and/or hit against the painted part above the window. I have a photo showing where you should attempt to align the rail, and what you should try for (green arrows) as opposed to avoid (red arrows).

deck_rail_temp.png

support_arms_temp.png

With it completed... I can't say enough how well it is constructed, how well it works, and how excited I am to have it.

finished_cover.png
Hey. Great post thanks for the photos. Just curious as you mentioned installing it in that way to not block the bed camera. Does that method mean the bed camera is almost completely unobstructed or does it still block the majority of the bed camera as one user showed the photo of the view you get from the bed camera. Any chance i can bug you for a view of your bed camera feed please 🙏🏼
Sponsored

alkregha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport (in production)
Sorry - I meant the rear view camera (the one that shows in my rear view mirror) . The bed camera is mostly blocked. I’ll try to get you a photo next time I leave the house.

brentbba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
Rear view mirror camera is just fine. Just delivered something and had the tonneau cover up and locked in place. Flipped the rear view mirror on and it was great.

brentbba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
I bought this:

BAKFlip MX4 Upgrade Kit | RealTruck

I was told it works with the OEM cover, but I haven't tried it yet. Just picked up the cover yesterday, but I'm not installing it for at least a week.
Have you had a chance to install the MX4 upgrade kit on your oem cover? Did it work?? Curious as I just finished a multiday offroad trip. Lots of dust and a good deal in the closed bed. Wonder if this kit might help?

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Have you had a chance to install the MX4 upgrade kit on your oem cover? Did it work?? Curious as I just finished a multiday offroad trip. Lots of dust and a good deal in the closed bed. Wonder if this kit might help?
I didn’t. OEM is sturdy enough and I have no immediate need to remove the cover. Sorry!

Sponsored

brentbba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
I didn’t. OEM is sturdy enough and I have no immediate need to remove the cover. Sorry!
Ok, almost looks like the back corners might not need cover removal? That's where most of the dust penetration was.

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR% 4dr 4x4, 2003 4Runner SR5 4x4
Was wondering what dealer you purchased this from? When I search the 'net' for OEM and find items, seems like they are all backordered and can be days or months when I talk to the parts guys. Little reluctant to order and pay for this now if I don't receive for "months'". I am also looking at Bakflip , pricing is $1109 shipped. Bakflip has a 5 year warranty, if same as Toyota branded OEM version this only has 1 year warranty from my research. Thanks, Brian
Part number is correct and you will probably be told it is on backorder. They had mine to me in 4 days. I also have factory instructions which were very easy to navigate for the install.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Ok, almost looks like the back corners might not need cover removal? That's where most of the dust penetration was.
The interesting thing is, every video I've seen had these foam pads that are supposed to go in the front corners, but my cover didn't come with them.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I bought this:

BAKFlip MX4 Upgrade Kit | RealTruck

I was told it works with the OEM cover, but I haven't tried it yet. Just picked up the cover yesterday, but I'm not installing it for at least a week.
Have you had a chance to try these out on the OEM cover? If so, did they work? I'm thinking about buying this kit for my OEM cover if it worked for you.

brentbba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
Have you had a chance to try these out on the OEM cover? If so, did they work? I'm thinking about buying this kit for my OEM cover if it worked for you.
See post #230. I asked. Answer was no.😉

Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Correct, I have not used that kit for 2 reasons: 1) I want to see how the OEM holds up before altering it, and 2) it only comes with 2 fasteners, but my OEM cover requires 4. No sense having 2 I can undo by hand, and 2 I have to use tools for. Besides... I bought the kit mostly as potential replacement parts. Maybe someone else who has it can chime in - I got the idea from someone else on this board lol

Taco Golfer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I agree the new covers are much better. They fit perfectly, no leaks, the automatic tailgate opens and closes with no problem, no modifications are needed like other Brands
Greetings. Quick follow up question since it has been a few months. Have you had any issues with water intrusion/leaks?

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
Greetings. Quick follow up question since it has been a few months. Have you had any issues with water intrusion/leaks?
No problems at all. The power tailgate opens and closes with no problem. I haven’t notice any leaks, no adjustments have been required.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
I am several weeks in now and still no issues. I carry a printer in the back by the tailgate on the side with the plug. No water. Been doing auto car washes, driving in the harsh rain etc. All is good.
Sponsored