2024 Tacoma TRD Pro Full Transmission Replacement After 342 Miles

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I just hope that toyota can restore my faith in the brand. I want to be excited about this truck again. Appreciate the support and here’s to hoping it’s an isolated issue.
Same here. That loss of trust is something totally new for me with Toyota. They have some work to do IMO to get us back to having faith in their products again. But I have not yet lost my excitement about my new Pro and I do still trust them to fix this stuff.

We all need to support each other and hold Toyota responsible for what is obviously a drop in their traditional reliability.
Sponsored

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
Strongly recommend that you make the first couple hundred miles (at least) of that country highways with varying speeds not greater than 65.
I’ve got nothing but time on the way home. I’ve got a hundred or so miles the first day.
A few hundred the second day and then a longer haul on the 3rd. The first 3 days should ease the process, I hope.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Let's not forget that the dealer support has a huge impact. A proactive dealer can make things much more palatable. One that isn't as supportive can make a difficult situation much worse. In those cases you need to go Toyota and start the complaint process and don't let up.

As for myself, the only issue that had me considering others was lack of availability. Canyon Denali's have some impressive specs but that and it's twin have their own issues.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the corporate meetings on this issue. Toyota leans heavily into their reputation for quality; that's how, for decades, they have been able to get higher prices and higher resale values. If Japan weighed in, "saving face," so to speak, was a factor.
Do you remember when Toyota went through this in the past? Quality suffered, everything they sold looked like the demographic was an 80 yr old man. They lost market share until they stepped it back up again. It's cyclic and we're on the down-wind side, imo. Hopefully, they'll bring it back around (again) and that reputation will survive.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
av8r cannot support with any evidence except what he interpreted from reading a few forums. He likes to throw things out there on this board, really only his opinion and his comments and usually nothing of any substance. Not really sure why he is here, I don’t think he is going to buy a new Tacoma, he just gets off on making stupid comments or trashing the truck. Just my opinion.
Love for anyone to show me where I have ever "trashed the truck"

Whether you like what I have to say or not is irrelevant to me. I say what's on my mind. Block me if you don't like it.

I had every intention of buying a 24 Pro. My friend owns a Toyota store in upstate NY and they just haven't gotten the truck yet. I just sold a 21 Laramie Longhorn that was paid off to finance a cash purchase of a Pro, but I'm going to wait until the 25s are out and about to see if the little and bigger issues get resolved. Hopefully, Toyota will get them sorted. Time will tell.

Sponsored

sugammadex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD PRO
Love for anyone to show me where I have ever "trashed the truck"

Whether you like what I have to say or not is irrelevant to me. I say what's on my mind. Block me if you don't like it.

I had every intention of buying a 24 Pro. My friend owns a Toyota store in upstate NY and they just haven't gotten the truck yet. I just sold a 21 Laramie Longhorn that was paid off to finance a cash purchase of a Pro, but I'm going to wait until the 25s are out and about to see if the little and bigger issues get resolved. Hopefully, Toyota will get them sorted. Time will tell.
Aren’t you the one saying “no thanks” to a Pro because of the ISO Dynamic seats? Seems like you’re eating your words. We get it - you aren’t the fan of the 4th Gen TRD Pro.

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Not trying to downplay the issues suffered by a few in this thread. Hopefully once the repairs are made, your experience will improve, and you’ll love your truck.

My ownership experience may go sour in the future, but so far it’s been very good. My issues are more minor annoyances, than issues.

24 TRD OR Premium
8,125 Miles. Issues, wind noise from upper back door seals, rattle driver rear door panel and alignment. I corrected the wind noise and door rattle myself. Alignment was corrected by off-road shop as local Toyota dealer tried but failed to correct. AC cycles excessively, IMO, but so far no issue. Truck has been awesome!

24 TRD Pro
1500 miles. Need to have alignment corrected, will bypass dealer and go straight to off-road shop. Same wind noise as my other truck. Will address the issue this weekend. Other than that, build quality seems excellent.

I understand losing faith in your vehicle, previously owned ‘23 Tundra TRD Pro. Had a long list of annoying issues, while monitoring engine failures. I finally decided I didn’t want to worry about being stranded on a long trip, so I sold the truck. That was difficult, as I loved the power train. At this time, I don’t have that fear with the Tacoma.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Let me clear the air for the OP. This is a thread about an issue he is having personally. Respect that. For those using this as an opportunity to convince yourself to wait for a 25 model year or purchase another vehicle entirely. Go start a wait for the 25 thread or something about buyers remorse/cancel order for the 2024 Tacoma. Not the thread to point out teething issues across the whole spectrum. Think about what these owners are going through and us members trying to help but having to defend the 24 Tacoma from people who don’t even own the truck! Everyone who has done so now looks like a selfish fool.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
While a totally failed transmission sucks at such a low mileage, I can’t help myself commenting that a $50K truck should not break. It does suck without a doubt. BUT

It’s a mass produced machine, and there’s a ratio of units to failures and it’s called an average. Nobody on this forum will know what the failure rate to amount of units produced is- only Toyota knows and you can be sure it’s a closely guarded secret.

let’s reflect on the best selling vehicle by far in North America - the F150 and what and how many problems Ford has with them. I guarantee you they have more problems and bigger ticket problems on far more expensive trucks. F150’s can easily hit $70K - and many more are produced at that price point. You can be sure that at a $70K Ford is replacing engines, transmissions, rear ends and will have software issues, electrical issues, noise issues, vibrations issues and the list goes on. Far more issues than the Tacoma. Easy for me to write this while have had no serious issues with my OR @ the 5K mark. But honestly be thankful you bought a Toyota and not a Ford, GM or a Ram. You can be sure Toyota and their reputation will always stand and they are doing all they can to take care of those issues. It doesn’t stop us from being angry and frustrated, but it is some comfort to be reminded of that.

I’ll summarize - it could and would likely be a lot worse had you bought a different brand. Those who are basing their purchase decision on this forum and the issues they are reading about, go ahead and buy a Canyon, Colorado or a Ranger and join those forums for those trucks and almost guaranteed you’ll find far worse issues and more of them.

I’m sorry some fellow purchasers are having to deal with serious issues that I am not dealing with. I know it could just as easily had been me that has those issues. I am thankful for this forum and the sharing that happens.

My rant is over.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Let's not forget that the dealer support has a huge impact. A proactive dealer can make things much more palatable. One that isn't as supportive can make a difficult situation much worse. In those cases you need to go Toyota and start the complaint process and don't let up.

As for myself, the only issue that had me considering others was lack of availability. Canyon Denali's have some impressive specs but that and it's twin have their own issues.
This is a great comment and suggested course of action. Toyota could possibly direct you to a different dealership in certain circumstances.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Aren’t you the one saying “no thanks” to a Pro because of the ISO Dynamic seats? Seems like you’re eating your words. We get it - you aren’t the fan of the 4th Gen TRD Pro.
Which forum member are you referring to here?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think almost all of us here are huge fans of the TRD Pro and just want to support the few buyers with problems. I for one still totally trust Toyota to treat us right and get our trucks back on the road.

I have weeks yet to go until my truck arrives and I look forward to it more every day.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Let's not forget that the dealer support has a huge impact.
That is another point in Toyota's favor. I have seen a few problems which I never expected in a new Toyota truck, but the dealers have all come through. They put the buyers in rentals and gotten the trucks fixed quickly. That is how you keep your customers loyal in the long run.

sugammadex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD PRO
Which forum member are you referring to here?
Im referring to av8r. I’m an actually owner of a 24 Tacoma TRD Pro with legit seat time and he/she doesn’t even own a 4th Gen lol.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Im referring to av8r. I’m an actually owner of a 24 Tacoma TRD Pro with legit seat time and he/she doesn’t even own a 4th Gen lol.
Yeah - that's him. He wants a Pro but without the black flares or the super cool seats and maybe the engine. Sounds like he doesn't want one much at all to me.

My only complaint is that mine isn't here yet. I love hearing from owners like you that have the honor of already owning one. Hoping to get mine sometime in September.
Sponsored