OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
Well I got excited for a while there! But after much searching and more disappointment - apparently mine does not have these modes…just a tow/haul and ECT power (not like I’m going to use whatever the fuck that all is)
Sponsored

OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
Storage isn't the best, but then again it's a mid sized truck. I came from a 2.7 F150 and I find the Tacoma engine to be pretty peppy. Make sure you're not in ECO mode. Mine came like that from the factory and I was disappointed until I moved it to normal. Even less so in Sport. My wife's Subaru Ascent is faster, rides better, etc.. But it can't take the back trails that I did last week and it's not a truck. It's just a different beast. It may not be for you. The only complaint that I would agree with is the 18Gallon fuel tank. Mine says 280 as well, but every time I get close to empty I only pump in 13 Gallons. I know it can go farther. I do have a TRD Offroad Premium so maybe some of the gripes are mitigated with the higher trim.
Well I got excited for a while there! But after much searching and more disappointment - apparently mine does not have these modes…just a tow/haul and ECT power (not like I’m going to use whatever the fuck that all is)

CanyonFisherSummitSeeker

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
14 cup holders?

No (usable) interior storage - cubbies around gear shifter - shelf in front of passenger seat - door storage - all require tiny hands to slide in and grab anything with just fingertips - then the “secret” storage which is a aptly named because it’s a mystery to me as to what it’s for

Serious lag in acceleration - feels like it’s stuck in quicksand

full gas tank = only 289 miles

18 mpg not ideal

No unlock button on tailgate

Center console is very shallow for some reason as seems to be plenty of room to go deeper

Door lock lag - I can hit the button (indent) on door handle and sometimes locks right away, other times I’m several steps away and grabbing for the key fob before the button registers - sometimes it doesn’t lock at all

CarPlay/infotainment glitches - changes music source or turns off

Wireless charging barely keeps phone at starting battery level due to CarPlay and gps use

Manual seats on a 45k vehicle?

I know some of it is cosmetic but for the price I’m seriously disappointed in this truck. The answer I get for these things is along the lines of “new engine” or “new design” but regardless I don’t get why people love these trucks so much. Maybe it will grow on me but at just over 2,000 miles I’m ready to take the hit and get something else.
Anyone have anything to help talk me off the ledge?
So I don’t have the SR5, I needed a new vehicle a few months back and saw a TRD OR with upgrade package (not premium) for $2.5k off MSRP and I went for it.
I can appreciate some of your gripes. Especially for the price. And to those of you who say that’s just what trucks cost, I both agree with you, and still think for what we are paying the fit and finish etc should be spot on. Anyway…
There isn’t a lot of storage. I agree it really lags if you drive it gentle. If you don’t drive it gentle the mpg really suffer.
My tailgate unlocks with key fob but I wish it had a key lock. I also have infotainment glitches. And the wireless charger isn’t much use. Fortunately there are two (plus the one going to screen) fast charging usb c ports.
I was driving a really old vehicle and hadn’t had a truck let alone 4wd in quite a few years and I wanted both as some of my outdoor activities had taken a hit as a result.
Sometimes I wish I’d bought the 4Runner. I have the long bed and double cab and the turning radius is awful haha
Fit and finish isn’t perfect.
All I’m trying to say is that I understand some of your frustrations. Overall I like it though and wouldn’t trade it in anytime soon. But again I’d been driving an old vehicle for a long time so damn near anything would have been an upgrade for me:)

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
First time Tacoma owner - I have the 4th gen sr5 double cab with 6 foot bed and I’m trying to love it but I hate it. So many things don’t make sense to me…

14 cup holders?

No (usable) interior storage - cubbies around gear shifter - shelf in front of passenger seat - door storage - all require tiny hands to slide in and grab anything with just fingertips - then the “secret” storage which is a aptly named because it’s a mystery to me as to what it’s for

18 mpg not ideal

Center console is very shallow for some reason as seems to be plenty of room to go deeper

Door lock lag - I can hit the button (indent) on door handle and sometimes locks right away, other times I’m several steps away and grabbing for the key fob before the button registers - sometimes it doesn’t lock at all

Wireless charging barely keeps phone at starting battery level due to CarPlay and gps use

I know some of it is cosmetic but for the price I’m seriously disappointed in this truck. The answer I get for these things is along the lines of “new engine” or “new design” but regardless I don’t get why people love these trucks so much. Maybe it will grow on me but at just over 2,000 miles I’m ready to take the hit and get something else.
Would you rather have 2 cup holders?

I use the cubbies all the time, shelf in front of passenger, wifey fills it up every trip, secret storage? Don’t like it so I don’t use it. Glove box is big!

Lag? Try sport mode or tow haul?

Full tank nets me 350-380.
Only time I’ve had a tank under 20mpg I was towing. Staying out of the boost helps considerably.

CarPlay? Don’t update to IOS 18! Infotainment been problem free for me maybe the dealership can help?

Qi wireless yep they charge far slower than a wired connection. 3 of them are provided.

47K for my TRD OR, both front seats are 8 way electric. (Upgrade Package and sway bar disconnect)

Door Lock lag, yep can be annoying! I’m Gonna ask the stealorship about it?

The Ledge? Make sure you know what’s on the other side!

I’m a first time Tacoma owner as well. Its so far exceeded my expectations.

Sponsored

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
You clearly bought a low trim and model. That’s a lot of your problems right there.

NewtoToyota

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD Sport
So wait, are you saying you have the manual seats and the wireless charging? I thought the wireless charging was tied to the upgrade with power seats. Guess I’m just confused on the option package you have.

OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
So wait, are you saying you have the manual seats and the wireless charging? I thought the wireless charging was tied to the upgrade with power seats. Guess I’m just confused on the option package you have.
Yeah that’s what I have - not listed on the sticker but maybe part of the sr5 upgrade package? Regardless it’s pretty useless

OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
this has to be a troll. I dont believe any of this for a second.
Don’t believe what exactly? I’m not looking to start anything, just wondering if anyone else is as underwhelmed or disappointed as I am with these things or if there’s a way to compensate or fix any of them…never had a Tacoma before

Sponsored
OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
Would you rather have 2 cup holders?

I use the cubbies all the time, shelf in front of passenger, wifey fills it up every trip, secret storage? Don’t like it so I don’t use it. Glove box is big!

Lag? Try sport mode or tow haul?

Only time I’ve had a tank under 20mpg I was towing. Staying out of the boost helps considerably.

CarPlay? Don’t update to IOS 18! Infotainment been problem free for me maybe the dealership can help?

Qi wireless yep they charge far slower than a wired connection. 3 of them are provided.

47K for my TRD OR, both front seats are 8 way electric. (Upgrade Package and sway bar disconnect)

Door Lock lag, yep can be annoying! I’m Gonna ask the stealorship about it?

The Ledge? Make sure you know what’s on the other side!

I’m a first time Tacoma owner as well. Its so far exceeded my expectations.
I appreciate this! Thank you! But how are you getting that kinda mpg???

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma OR
First time Tacoma owner - I have the 4th gen sr5 double cab with 6 foot bed and I’m trying to love it but I hate it. So many things don’t make sense to me…

14 cup holders?

I don't have this issue and that problem was part of why I got rid of my 23 Tundra. I did notice the Taco tries to stay out of boost at lower speeds, probably for mpg reasons.

I agree, the gas tank is laughably small and my only real complaint.

18 mpg not ideal
I get around 20mpg doing mostly 80mph hwy driving.

Not an issue to me since it unlocks with the doors.

Yeah it's small but no biggie for me.

So far it has been instant for me every time, my wife's 4Runner does what you said though.

No glitches for me but it did disconnect at the same spot on my way to work every day due to the interference in that area, every vehicle I've had did the same. For some reason moving up to the iPhone 16 pro from the 14 pro has fixed that.

Wireless charging is junk in every vehicle. At least this one actually charges lol.

I agree.

nyydynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
I have the same package (manual seats with wireless charger). It does exist LOL

How do you get that much on a full tank? For me, the display is always around 280-290 miles when I fill up. I don't calculate how many actual miles I get to a tank but that's what the display says when it's full.

Don’t believe what exactly? I’m not looking to start anything, just wondering if anyone else is as underwhelmed or disappointed as I am with these things or if there’s a way to compensate or fix any of them…never had a Tacoma before
Most of those complaints are things you would have noticed during a test drive. I can see complaining about 1 or 2 things but still buying a vehicle but when you have a large list of complaints like that .... well, that's just plain stupidity and you don't deserve to be "talked down from the ledge". Just sell the truck and move on. If you really hate that much about a vehicle, don't buy it. You hate almost everything about this truck and left nothing to actually like. You even complained about Haul and ECT power. You really bought a truck without knowing what the different modes do and then complained about it, saying you would never use it? How do you know you wouldn't use it, if you don't know what it does? You sound like both of my 9 year olds.

If you're really not trolling, then you need a lesson on how to do research before spending money on one of the most expensive things you will purchase in your life, except for a house.

Unless you just got your license, and your parents bought you the truck because you said you wanted it, but did absolutely no research or test drove it ahead of time.

Those are the only possibilities I can see. If you're a troll, go away. If you're not, then sell the truck and go away.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
If you had owned a previous gen...you would really appreciate your 2024.
Sponsored