Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Decided to do a Blackstone analysis for my first oil change just to see if anything out of the ordinary popped up. Elevated silicon, copper, iron, & aluminum but this is somewhat normal for break-in oil.

I'll probably do another one at 15-20K (3rd change) miles just to see how it's doing, but otherwise a relatively uneventful and expected report.

Anyone else here send their oil off to Blackstone?

2024 Tacoma First Blackstone Engine Oil Analysis - Seems Normal (2024 Tacoma 2.4L I-4 Turbo T24A-FTS) Screenshot_20240925-083350
Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I wonder if the molybdenum was
From break-in lube which is sometimes
Used on valve train on new enginesā€¦ I will send in a sample, just need to get to my first oil change interval-should be soon.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I wonder if the molybdenum was
From break-in lube which is sometimes
Used on valve train on new enginesā€¦ I will send in a sample, just need to get to my first oil change interval-should be soon.
It's from the Toyota motor oil.

For a long time they used really high levels of moly. Pretty much higher than anyone else. I don't think the newer formula of Toyota oil includes as much moly.

It was definitely an outlier as far as oils because most oil brands are maybe up to 200 ppm. Valvoline's high endurance synthetic or whatever their flagship oil is uses higher amounts of moly than most other brands. I think around 350ppm.

You'll see it even when people do a second oil sample. They'll swap in something like mobile 1 which has low levels of moly, and the moly will still be triple whats in the M1 formulation due to the retained oil.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Was this a first oil change at 10k miles? Toyota genuine oil is really good stuff. Look at that amount of Molly, Damā€¦ more then amsoil signature series over double actually

Sponsored

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade

For a long time they used really high levels of moly. Pretty much higher than anyone else. I don't think the newer formula of Toyota oil includes as much moly.

It was definitely an outlier as far as oils because most oil brands are maybe up to 200 ppm. Valvoline's high endurance synthetic or whatever their flagship oil is uses higher amounts of moly than most other brands. I think around 350ppm.

You'll see it even when people do a second oil sample. They'll swap in something like mobile 1 which has low levels of moly, and the moly will still be triple whats in the M1 formulation due to the retained oil.
Mobil 1 EP High Mileage has a higher amount of additives than standard M1. A very good oil.

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Mobil 1 EP High Mileage has a higher amount of additives than standard M1. A very good oil.
I've always been a big Mobil 1 fan. Conveniently, the Costco packs come with 6 quarts and were on sale for like $28 at my local warehouse. So I bought a few packs for future changes.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR

I do not know what the factory oil brand is, perhaps eneosā€¦ but Toyota dealership oil has all of the indications that Mobil 1 makes itā€¦ the bottle design and location is a strong indicator of it. Perhaps a second oil change with oil test would prove my theory correctā€¦ different oils, based upon your moly ppm spec in the Mobil 1 oil.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I do not know what the factory oil brand is, perhaps eneosā€¦ but Toyota dealership oil has all of the indications that Mobil 1 makes itā€¦ the bottle design and location is a strong indicator of it. Perhaps a second oil change with oil test would prove my theory correctā€¦ different oils, based upon your moly ppm spec in the Mobil 1 oil.
The oil is made by Exxon/mobil. Itā€™s not anything close to Mobil 1 chemically. The Toyota oil is made to a much higher standard specifically for Toyota.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
The oil is made by Exxon/mobil. Itā€™s not anything close to Mobil 1 chemically. The Toyota oil is made to a much higher standard specifically for Toyota.
...so if I scheduled oil changes every ~5-7K at the dealership w/their formulation, would my resale be higher or about the same vs changing the oil myself?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Higher standard is a bit of a misnomer... same standards, different additive composition. The Japanese OEs all have a high moly content in their OE formulations as they believe it will ever-so-slightly decrease fuel consumption. I don't believe there are any off-the-shelf oils that have this much moly in it... even Liqui-Moly probably is around 200 PPM.

...so if I scheduled oil changes every ~5-7K at the dealership w/their formulation, would my resale be higher or about the same vs changing the oil myself?
To the right buyer? Maybe. Would you recoup every dollar from the overpriced dealership oil changes? Probably not.

I keep a detailed personal logbook of maintenance I do myself, and staple receipts inside. I figure this would probably net similar benefits for a buyer looking for proof that the vehicle they're purchasing was maintained properly.

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
I wouldnā€™t think resale would be any greater from who changed the oil and how often it was done.. the last two Toyotas I have traded in for another Toyota the dealers havenā€™t cared about my maintenance records.. all my oil changes, grease, tire rotations and all other maintenance I have done to my vehicles I have logged in the back of my owners manual.. none of them cared to look at it..might be pease of mind for the new owner

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Yea, I figure as much part of me wants to be lazy & hands off on this iForceMax as much as possible, get the extended warranty, hell maybe even extend my Toyota Care and have those guys remove the skid plate every time

Anyone know how long your vehicle sits at the dealer when you drop it off for a Toyota Care oil change & tire rotation? The wife was like, 'Oh, it'll be there all day..." LOL

OP
OP
Gurvy522

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Yea, I figure as much part of me wants to be lazy & hands off on this iForceMax as much as possible, get the extended warranty, hell maybe even extend my Toyota Care and have those guys remove the skid plate every time

Anyone know how long your vehicle sits at the dealer when you drop it off for a Toyota Care oil change & tire rotation? The wife was like, 'Oh, it'll be there all day..." LOL
Honestly I find DIY'ing oil changes a matter of convenience moreso than a cost saving measure. A set of ramps makes it even easier, but they're not even necessary for our trucks, just makes taking the skid off a tad more comfortable. I can also personally ensure that the filter is not overtorqued.... seems like more times than not, filters are reinstalled by the dealership with an iron grip or a wrench.... what ever happened to "hand tight" :)

I've never been in an out of a dealership in less than an hour for an oil change. Just from personal experience, and I've only ever gone to one for the freebie changes. If you count the time traveling to get there and back, it's faster to just do it yourself. There's a small mom & pops shop down the street from me that'll take my old oil as well, making disposal fairly straight forward, at least for me.

As a side note, for anyone doing DIY, highly recommend a Fumoto valve. I've installed them on every car I've ever owned. If you're rocking a skid, get the one with a long nipple - you can literally drain the oil with a PE tube right into a container. Completely mess-free.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
ā€¦ a side note, for anyone doing DIY, highly recommend a Fumoto valve. I've installed them on every car I've ever owned. If you're rocking a skid, get the one with a long nipple - you can literally drain the oil with a PE tube right into a container. Completely mess-free.
Thanks for the tip! My old work truck no longer allowed on the driveway. I just got done cleaning & pressure washing that concrete took forever. 3,000 psi pressure washer only covers 3mmx3mm at a time šŸ˜©
Sponsored