Sponsored

Pretty sure my transmission is on its way out.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Feeling it in the seat or rear end of the truck when slowing down in traffic, or coming to a stop. So in other words a small vibration. Sometimes worse than others. Also was felt when accelerating from a stop often 1-4th gear shifts. Hope that helps.
Yup okay exact same thing, feels like it’s coming from the rear a vibration that quickly goes away. So it never did that again with the new transmission ?
Sponsored

nato0825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I’m at 1800 miles my truck with a 3/24 build date. I’m been gradually noticing the trans getting worse. Today it did some hard shifts and some really clunky downshifts. After work it also got caught up between 1-2 gear and really clunked hard kinda jolting the truck . That was just driving out of the parking lot going less then mph. No check engine light or codes yet but I’m preparing myself for it shortly. Sucks but at least I’ll eventually get a new transmission I’m sure. Only disappointing part is having to drive it until it fails. For the guys that got new transmissions how much better was it after? Super smooth with zero clunks or hard shifts?
Man, that sucks. I've only put around 1k miles on mine so far and have noticed pretty hard shifts in and out of reverse. Just have to hope and pray I don't end up relating lol

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Man, that sucks. I've only put around 1k miles on mine so far and have noticed pretty hard shifts in and out of reverse. Just have to hope and pray I don't end up relating lol
that’s how mine started, then it turned into hard shifts, weird shifts, vibrations/shudders, clunking It’s just lovely driving around every day in a brand new truck waiting to break down

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
I’m at 1800 miles my truck with a 3/24 build date. I’m been gradually noticing the trans getting worse. Today it did some hard shifts and some really clunky downshifts. After work it also got caught up between 1-2 gear and really clunked hard kinda jolting the truck . That was just driving out of the parking lot going less then mph. No check engine light or codes yet but I’m preparing myself for it shortly. Sucks but at least I’ll eventually get a new transmission I’m sure. Only disappointing part is having to drive it until it fails. For the guys that got new transmissions how much better was it after? Super smooth with zero clunks or hard shifts?
As soon as mine started having these problems on both occasions I did not drive at all till it gave that’s insane. I took that straight in and they found debris. Driving it like that might make other systems worse? Idk do what you like but I took mine straight in without complete failure and they fixed both times

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Gfenza89 Maybe you could park it at your dealer and offer customers a free test drive to see how nice the 4th gen is.

I bet they would want to fix your truck then!

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
As soon as mine started having these problems on both occasions I did not drive at all till it gave that’s insane. I took that straight in and they found debris. Driving it like that might make other systems worse? Idk do what you like but I took mine straight in without complete failure and they fixed both times
So they replace your transmission ? Is it much smoother with the new trans? Was yours doing the shudder/vibration from the rear like mine and plumbers first taco?

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
@Gfenza89 Maybe you could park it at your dealer and offer customers a free test drive to see how nice the 4th gen is.

Lol good idea! I love the truck man I’m just pissed I gotta go through this crap with so many grey areas

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5

In all fairness there might have been miscommunication , I haven’t taken my truck into the dealership yet. Reason being from past expierence I always am told “normal characteristic of vehicle” and I just leave furious. This might be different but the problem is it does sometimes shift decent

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Could you elaborate on what exactly yours was doing prior to taking it in?

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
In all fairness there might have been miscommunication , I haven’t taken my truck into the dealership yet. Reason being from past expierence I always am told “normal characteristic of vehicle” and I just leave furious. This might be different but the problem is it does sometimes shift decent
From your recent descriptions it sounds to me like it might your truck might be due some attention from your dealer at this point, even without the codes. The TSB and its codes are a help for when a transmission goes out, but it is not normal for a 4th gen to shift like yours does and I think your dealer needs to do something about it.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
From your recent descriptions it sounds to me like it might your truck might be due some attention from your dealer at this point, even without the codes. The TSB and its codes are a help for when a transmission goes out, but it is not normal for a 4th gen to shift like yours does and I think your dealer needs to do something about it.
Thanks man I’m just dreading dealing with the dealer, but it looks like I gotta just bring it in. Is what it is. Keep you posted when I do

2GenTaco

First Name
Scooner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tacoma
If the symptoms are easily replicated, take to dealer right away, they will realize you have an issue and repair, regardless of codes present or not.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Feeling it in the seat or rear end of the truck when slowing down in traffic, or coming to a stop. So in other words a small vibration. Sometimes worse than others. Also was felt when accelerating from a stop often 1-4th gear shifts. Hope that helps.
Like the truck is trying to jump forward? Sometimes when I am slowing down to a stop I feel micro jerks forward. August build date. 1,800 miles.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Like the truck is trying to jump forward? Sometimes when I am slowing down to a stop I feel micro jerks forward. August build date. 1,800 miles.
One of the symptoms, welcome to the club.
Sponsored