Sponsored

Shudder coming to stop - transmission death or normal?

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Guys I’m trying to drill down on something. When I’m coming to a stop, oftentimes I feel a vibration or shudder underneath me coming through the powertrain. It’s subtle and the truck feels like it’s jumping forward a tiny bit. I have a hybrid and I’m in the transmission TSB. I have zero other symptoms or issues.

The Tundra forums all say the hybrid Tundra has the same issue and it’s just the regenerative braking disengaging. ( https://www.reddit.com/r/ToyotaTundra/s/3pbD2YA4Wy ). However some folks like @Gfenza89 have non-hybrid trucks and have similar symptoms.

Is this something others experience? If so can you describe it, tell us if you’re in the TSB, miles driven, and if you drive a hybrid? Also give us your opinion if you think it’s the transmission or nothing to worry about.
Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Well “plumbersfirsttaco” said his was doing the shudder vibration when coming to a stop and that was one of his symptoms before the trans failed along with weird shifts. Mind certainly does it and it only started going that at around 400 miles. Currently at 2100 miles ,

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Well “plumbersfirsttaco” said his was doing the shudder vibration when coming to a stop and that was one of his symptoms before the trans failed along with weird shifts. Mind certainly does it and it only started going that at around 400 miles. Currently at 2100 miles ,
But if every truck does this and it’s caused by something else, that’s valuable information. Correlation does not equal causation.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
But if every truck does this and it’s caused by something else, that’s valuable information. Correlation does not equal causation.
It’s without a doubt not normal for a brand new vehicle to be doing this and it’s without a doubt a problem and definitely something with the transmission causing it. Does it mean the trans will fail well who knows but either way it’s completely unacceptable

Plumbers 1st Taco

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
I had the vibration and shudder from the drivetrain/ read end when slowing down and coming to a stop with a jolt forward when almost at a complete stop. Was in the TSB and trans was replaced around 3400 miles. Non hybrid. That’s my experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I had the vibration and shudder from the drivetrain/ read end when slowing down and coming to a stop with a jolt forward when almost at a complete stop. Was in the TSB and trans was replaced around 3400 miles. Non hybrid. That’s my experience.
Gotcha. Any other early symptoms ?

Plumbers 1st Taco

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
Very harsh and delayed upshifts when accelerating from a stop. Same when decelerating. Getting stuck in 6th gear.

WanderlustTraveler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Hybrid
Hybrid owner here. I’m not sure if this is what you’re feeling, but when slowly coming to a stop, usually right before I actually stop, I can feel it downshift through second, then first. Subtle but noticeable under the right conditions, and in-line with some other autos I’ve driven. No transmission issues (or any others for that matter) to report at 6.5K miles so far.

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Hybrid owner here. I’m not sure if this is what you’re feeling, but when slowly coming to a stop, usually right before I actually stop, I can feel it downshift through second, then first. Subtle but noticeable under the right conditions, and in-line with some other autos I’ve driven. No transmission issues (or any others for that matter) to report at 6.5K miles so far.
I need to figure out if what I’m feeling is the normal hybrid thing or this death transmission thing - despite comments from many, I’m not convinced either way yet

Sponsored

NCEngineer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I’ll just point out that the hybrid does some things that may seem strange at first. So far it just seems to be a hybrid being a hybrid. Cutting the engine at stop lights is one. I was aware some hybrids do that but didn’t realize what it was at first. There’s a lot of behaviors that may seem like problems when you stumble on the right conditions to trigger them. I was trying to jackrabbit over a 4 lane hwy at an intersection with no light. When I got on the throttle it stumbled. At first I thought WTF! This brand new truck just shit itself. Then after some soul searching and reading in the manual I realized what happened. I was two footing at that intersection. One on throttle and one on the brake. When I got on the gas, I still had my foot lightly on the brake. PCM cuts the engine when you hold the brake and get on the gas. Not saying you’re doing anything wrong. Just saying there’s a lot going on with this truck and some of it causes unexpected noises and unusual behaviors.

It uses regenerative braking so it may just be downshifting to make the most of engine braking. If it is the tranny going out, I think you’ll know it. Ie, lights in the dash, limited gears on tranny.

Just FYI, I have the 24 pro and it is in the TSB range. No problems at 3800 miles.

SP4RUNNER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellcat, Highlander
Guys I’m trying to drill down on something. When I’m coming to a stop, oftentimes I feel a vibration or shudder underneath me coming through the powertrain. It’s subtle and the truck feels like it’s jumping forward a tiny bit. I have a hybrid and I’m in the transmission TSB. I have zero other symptoms or issues.

The Tundra forums all say the hybrid Tundra has the same issue and it’s just the regenerative braking disengaging. ( https://www.reddit.com/r/ToyotaTundra/s/3pbD2YA4Wy ). However some folks like @Gfenza89 have non-hybrid trucks and have similar symptoms.

Is this something others experience? If so can you describe it, tell us if you’re in the TSB, miles driven, and if you drive a hybrid? Also give us your opinion if you think it’s the transmission or nothing to worry about.
I am having this same exact issue on my Trailhunter. Also when it shifts 1 ,2 its a rather hard shift then runs normal after. The jerk or shudder is very noticeable at or when coming to a complete stop. I have currently 551 miles on the truck and I picked it up September 23 if it goes out id rather it go out now than later. Ill update at my 1000 mile oil change and ill keep my eye out on this thread ....

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I am having this same exact issue on my Trailhunter. Also when it shifts 1 ,2 its a rather hard shift then runs normal after. The jerk or shudder is very noticeable at or when coming to a complete stop. I have currently 551 miles on the truck and I picked it up September 23 if it goes out id rather it go out now than later. Ill update at my 1000 mile oil change and ill keep my out on this thread ....
August Trailhunter here. I have only had one time when it shifted weird from 1 to 2, after 2 weeks of not driving it. Other than that it’s super smooth. I’m almost at 2,000 miles.

If you’re September build you may not be in the TSB or you’re right on the edge. Are you in it? Are your last 4 VIN digits smaller than 6367?
Sponsored