2024 tacoma trd offroad rust

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
Do you have the windshield cowl defect like 100’s of others of us? Wondering if water has been leaking right there from it? And yes, I would be concerned.

TrashPanda

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
At the risk of sounding stupid, doesn’t water splash into the engine bay when driving in the rain. Could just be a poorly painted part?

TrashPanda

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
Just looked under the hood, I have the cowl defect. It is almost in line with that part in your photo. That part looks like cast iron. My truck only has 140 miles on it so could be a future problem. That defect looks like is only bulged at the top, the cowl looks flush below it..

Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I would definitely file a warranty claim. That is an abnormal amount of corrosion on a brand new vehicle.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yeah - you don't expect rust anywhere under the hood on a new truck - or anywhere at all actually.

I would see what a dealer has to say about that rust if it was my truck. It sure seems like it is related to the cowl defect to me.

Update: I just checked that part on my truck and I will get some pictures later today. I don't have the cowl defect (yet) but there is a small amount of rust in a couple of places on that part. My truck is just 1 month old but it has been driven in a lot of hurricane rain. Most of that part is painted and until I have the time to take a closer look I'm not sure if it all was supposed to have been painted or not.

The part is heavy cast metal and it might not be a structural problem but it sure does look like crap on a new, expensive truck. Unpainted cast parts often rust underneath trucks but this is the first time I have seen it under the hood.

Last edited:

Taconatron

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
That’s just surface rust. Every new vehicle has ports that get this. Some more than others. Not a concern.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I'm coming up on 11k and do not have any rust under my hood. I have been offroad, splashed mud, etc... and everything's fine. Take it back, though I'm not sure they'll do anything about it. Probably a poorly painted part.
Sponsored