Sponsored

Anyone else having trouble with mpg rates?

TacoLisa

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I get over 27 mpg but this is on flat rural roads with no stopping and keeping the cruise control at 55 mph, I have an OR model. I plan to put hi test in it one of these days to see if I can break 30 mpg.
Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I might be at or near 3000 miles getting fill ups that match or exceed the EPA ratings except for heavy loads, headwinds and high speed. If adaptive cruise is 77 vs 75 MPH it shows. Headwinds on freeway can make that small tank a bother.

Also, calculating at fill up gets me a higher calculation than the digital on dashboard. That's opposite of most vehicles I've had that show MPG.

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
Log your MPG on Fuelly for a couple of months and note any driving conditions that might be affecting it. I think the average is 19.6 on about 25 vehicles logged so far. You should at least be able to match that number and probably easily beat it driving conservatively.

TheBandit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6MT 4x4
Your truck is absolutely still in the break in period. I was getting ~3-4mpg less for the first 2000 miles.

Since I have a manual, I took off the air dam to help more with coasting, and that’s helped even more, getting me up into the 23-24mpg range. Also driving in eco mode decreases boost significantly, and I’m not usually needing to rip around anywhere. Only turn it out of eco for a little fun here and there

Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
There are a couple of threads. You have 1-3 hyper milers that love to brag on like a 30 mile trip they are getting like 32+ MPG. However the general pop that drive normal, calculate the correct way with fuelly or at full tanks doing manual calculations folks are at basically 19 mpg +/- 1-2 mpg. If you are close to that just enjoy you will be fine. You bought a truck, not a Prius.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I’ve been using Fuelly for my last 5 vehicles (over 12 years). That’s 936 fuel-ups.

Highly recommend, and it’s super-easy to record it at the pump every time. It’s part of the routine.

As for my hybrid, I’m having a hard time breaking 20.0. Currently at 19.9 for my first 1,000 miles, but as I’ve said before, it’s all hills where I live. I was hoping for at least 22.2, as that’s what the twin turbo V6 in my last sedan got. With winter coming, and being out of the break-in period, I really don’t see it improving lol

For reference, I’ve only used premium gas.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
18-19 blasting it at 85MPH is impressive, given that drag is exponential.
I took delivery in Las Vegas last Thursday on a Trailhunter long bed, logged 800 mi to date. Drive back gained gross 13k feet elevation gain, engine break-in and my MPG before doing generator mode tests 2 days ago was 18.5. Adaptive cruise is really the differentiator IMO. Until ~300 miles had to do a bunch of MPH step changes and still keeping it under 4k rpm, only kissed it a couple times in the Rockies. Much of Utah was 80-85mph, tach under 2k lol. Everything in ECO mode thus far.

EDIT: I will say city driving is an art with this pedal-to-power ratio. I find myself at the posted speed limit in a blink of eye off a stop sign or a light. That’s where fuel goes to die and we all know it. Eco mode could use an update there…

Last edited:

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I took delivery in Las Vegas last Thursday on a Trailhunter long bed, logged 800 mi to date. Drive back net gained 13k feet elevation gain, engine break-in and my MPG before doing generator mode tests 2 days ago was 18.5. Adaptive cruise is really the differentiator IMO. Until ~300 miles had to do a bunch of MPH step changes and still keeping it under 4k rpm, only kissed it a couple times on the drive back from the desert. Everything in ECO mode this far
I feel like the hybrid is definitely optimal for doing a lot of steep grades. Since you can regen on the way down.

Out of curiosity, do you feel like when you let off the pedal at all that you get any regen breaking down hills? On my fiances PHEV (a Lexus) I don't really notice a ton of regenerative breaking but wonder if the logic is different for trucks.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I feel like the hybrid is definitely optimal for doing a lot of steep grades. Since you can regen on the way down.

Out of curiosity, do you feel like when you let off the pedal at all that you get any regen breaking down hills? On my fiances PHEV (a Lexus) I don't really notice a ton of regenerative breaking but wonder if the logic is different for trucks.
Maybe someone else can chime in on this but I believe in adaptive cruise all the regen & gearing is done in the background. So yes, your NiMH is topped off on a mountain descent, you don’t need to ride the brakes to get the benefit. Chatgpt believes riding those engine rpms/gas off also charges the hybrid cell…

There’s a short steep hill in my neighborhood that I drive every morning to the gym. I use the brakes on this hill, get to the light at the bottom and engine immediately shuts down. Till about ~15mph it’ll use that energy before the engine kicks back on. You have to really listen for it to happen, pretty damn seamless driving experience

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wighty

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Off Road
Hi all,

just joined the forum a few days ago, so pretty new here. Picked up a TRD Sport last week and so far so good, ~300 miles on odometer. Mileage so far however has not been great. Right now I'm getting about 16 mpg without the chin of an air dam on the front (UP from 15 with it on, make that make any sense) but to me that doesn't seem right. I have seen others getting upwards of 22-23 highway without breaking a sweat. Haven't been flooring the thing either and placed drive mode into 'Eco' that hasn't solved much. Any thoughts/solutions would be great, don't feel like filling up every 250 miles.
I noticed my MPG reads 18-19, but after I complete a trip and after I turn off the engine, my trips usually average 21 MPG and above. Not sure where the 18-19 comes from.

Zebrajacket99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter LB
I noticed my MPG reads 18-19, but after I complete a trip and after I turn off the engine, my trips usually average 21 MPG and above. Not sure where the 18-19 comes from.
Same, avg shown on the dash sticks around the 17.3 range but on shutoff I'm shown 20mpg+ each trip.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Hi all,

just joined the forum a few days ago, so pretty new here. Picked up a TRD Sport last week and so far so good, ~300 miles on odometer. Mileage so far however has not been great. Right now I'm getting about 16 mpg without the chin of an air dam on the front (UP from 15 with it on, make that make any sense) but to me that doesn't seem right. I have seen others getting upwards of 22-23 highway without breaking a sweat. Haven't been flooring the thing either and placed drive mode into 'Eco' that hasn't solved much. Any thoughts/solutions would be great, don't feel like filling up every 250 miles.
So it took my truck awhile to figure the mpg out. I started around there. Then after a good amount of miles it’s now up to 22-23. Idk why it just takes a min for the tech to calculate. Even now if I start a new trip my mpg will be in the toilet. Also it took a min for the miles to empty to finally get decent. When I filled it up it initially was in the 200’s. Now I fill it it’s at 340 or so

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
17-18mpg all day long in city traffic here in the 4x4 offroad.

G MAN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado
Sr5 with 265/70/17 scorpin all terain tires.......constant 25 mpg at 60 mph with some in town driving.
Sponsored