Sponsored

Beat Sonic amp worth the price?

xraided

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 6MT TRD Sport/06 BSP Xrunner (RIP)
I got it, and I am happy with it =)

2024 Tacoma Beat Sonic amp worth the price? IMG_5439

2024 Tacoma Beat Sonic amp worth the price? IMG_5440
Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
My issue isn’t so much the front bias, it’s the fact that 90% of the sound appears to come out of the center channel, and the tweeters barely pump out the sound they’re supposed to. There’s no depth. I’d gladly trade the gimmicky JBL center speaker for a more balanced, non-removable system. Or at least a way to tweak the sound output (different settings based on music type, for instance.)

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Kicker makes a small amp and dsp that'll fit behind the head unit. It comes with a mic for automatic tuning. model #47key200.4. I believe its less expensive than the beat sonic too.

OP
OP

G MAN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado
You can't change speakers independently, but there are two gain controls. One for front and one for rear. I set mine with the front between the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock position, while the rear is at the 12 o'clock position. This was based off their install video on youtube:
I move the sound field back and the audio is barely audible from the back speakers. Maybe if I could just run the amp to the rear it could help, but I definitely don’t need more power to the front speakers. Maybe I’ll just wait for a sale on the amp and try it then.

OP
OP

G MAN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado
You can't change speakers independently, but there are two gain controls. One for front and one for rear. I set mine with the front between the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock position, while the rear is at the 12 o'clock position. This was based off their install video on youtube:
did the back speakers sound ok at 12 o clock position ? maybe bump that up abit .

Sponsored

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
did the back speakers sound ok at 12 o clock position ? maybe bump that up abit .
The challenging thing about stereos and speakers is that it really comes down to personal preference. I personally like having the soundstage in front of me so I have my stereo set with the front speakers up louder and the rear speakers just filling in the sound a little bit. I tried turning the rears up more but I didn't like the way it sounded... again personal preference.

I would recommend hooking up the amp and testing out different settings before you reinstall the head unit completely. I covered the shifter and center console with blankets and put masking tape on the dash trim around the HVAC knobs, dash trim, etc. I played around with the gain settings before completely reinstalling everything.

One thing I didn't try that I should have tested was setting both gain knobs to the same setting and then using the head unit sound tuning options to adjust the front/rear balance. I had already set the front/rear balance to where I liked it before the amp was installed and forgot to play around with those settings until everything was reinstalled. The amp adds more bass for sure and I ended up turning the bass down in the sound tuning options from where I originally had it. I also turned the treble down just a touch as it got too "bright" for my liking.

I've had the amp in for 600 miles and I'm happy with it. It doesn't compare to putting in a full aftermarket system, but it's better than factory.

Btimothy4

First Name
TB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I bought it and am happy with it - while I was installing it, I disconnected the wiring to the Center JBL removable speaker and that made the biggest difference. Quality of sound improved 100%

I'm going to go back in there this weekend and going to disconnect just the speaker wires and still allow it to charge

webshot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I bought it and am happy with it - while I was installing it, I disconnected the wiring to the Center JBL removable speaker and that made the biggest difference. Quality of sound improved 100%

I'm going to go back in there this weekend and going to disconnect just the speaker wires and still allow it to charge
More info on this please! You said you disconnected the speaker, couldn't you just remove it instead? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP

G MAN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado
The challenging thing about stereos and speakers is that it really comes down to personal preference. I personally like having the soundstage in front of me so I have my stereo set with the front speakers up louder and the rear speakers just filling in the sound a little bit. I tried turning the rears up more but I didn't like the way it sounded... again personal preference.

I would recommend hooking up the amp and testing out different settings before you reinstall the head unit completely. I covered the shifter and center console with blankets and put masking tape on the dash trim around the HVAC knobs, dash trim, etc. I played around with the gain settings before completely reinstalling everything.

One thing I didn't try that I should have tested was setting both gain knobs to the same setting and then using the head unit sound tuning options to adjust the front/rear balance. I had already set the front/rear balance to where I liked it before the amp was installed and forgot to play around with those settings until everything was reinstalled. The amp adds more bass for sure and I ended up turning the bass down in the sound tuning options from where I originally had it. I also turned the treble down just a touch as it got too "bright" for my liking.

I've had the amp in for 600 miles and I'm happy with it. It doesn't compare to putting in a full aftermarket system, but it's better than factory.
is there a surround mosde

is there a surround mode on the 24 taco ?? tdr jon turned that off in tundra and helped sound.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR

I've been thinking about doing the same. I'd like the speaker to still charge for when I want to use it outside the truck, but no sound. Please post up which wires you end up disconnecting. Thanks!

Sponsored

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
is there a surround mosde

is there a surround mode on the 24 taco ?? tdr jon turned that off in tundra and helped sound.
There's no option for surround mode that I've found in the settings

Btimothy4

First Name
TB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
100% you could just remove it, but I just couldn't look at a big hole in the dash everyday and it is a feature that gets a lot of attention - just a poor implementation in my mind of how they could have made it a true center channel when plugged in.

The ring around the speaker just pops out and there are 4 bolts to take out and then you will see the wiring. While out, it gives you lots of room to position the amp where you want ti. There is a nice open space above the gauge cluster.

I was thinking of just making a simple plug and play pigtail that would turn the speakers off and still allow the charging

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks for all the info. Definitely more to think about. If there’s a Black Friday sale…..

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
I was thinking of just making a simple plug and play pigtail that would turn the speakers off and still allow the charging
Any details on that mod would be appreciated.
It's disappointing that Toyota sacrificed sound quality for the gimmick.

I often turn the volume up on my favourite music, then turn it down again because i'm disappointed - Not premium sound.

Beat Sonic is great for plug and play but I'll consider other options for a "full" sound.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I am also looking to eventually improve the sound from my JBL system. A better amp that would let you adjust the sound field would be a big help IMO - maybe configurable by Bluetooth?

I haven't seen anyone installing different speakers, which I would like to try. Getting to the door speakers would also let me instal sound mat, which makes a lot of difference. I see some benefit from disconnecting the removable speaker but still letting it charge like @Btimothy4 is doing.

One way or another I want to make this system sound better and I am open to a lot of options. My goal would be to make it sound as good as the Mark Levinson system in my wifes Lexus. :) My truck is going to be our long distance road machine and that makes me want good sound even more.

BTW I just checked with Crutchfield and they zero options at this point for any upgrades to the JBL system. Maybe they haven't actually heard one yet. lol
Sponsored