Belt chirp when a/c turns on

ProjektZero

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma (4th gen)
Having other mods done to my taco and asked the service advisor to have the chirping looked at. He said 4th gen’s don’t have a manual clutch. So this is a normal sound when running the a/c.
Similar to the sound you would hear when the auto parking brake engages or disengages.
Sponsored

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
FYI - Mine is getting a little of chatty and I hear it while driving, slight chirps off and on. Going to have the dealer take a look (at least document it).

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Just experienced this noise today on cold start only.
I heard it! Replace the batteries on your smoke alarm. Ok, kidding aside.. if the chirping noise is only doing this on cold starts, then it is likely belt tension. You can confirm this by spraying water from a squirt bottle at the ribbed section of the serpentine belt that drives the ac compressor. Do this immediately before a cold start, if the noise is worse= tension. General Motors has belt issues on early 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 v8 engines and they had a software flash to fix the issue.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
If the chirping stops or is less noticeable when the engine is completely warmed up, the belt may have overcome the slipping by become warm/more pliable, and able to grip the pulleys with enough force to prevent slippage. Again, spraying water at the ribbed portion of the serpentine belt that spins the compressor, When the engine is off. then fire up the truck and turn the ac on, and listen… water will remove some mechanical grip the belt has in the pulley. This is just for process of elimination. When the dealer dealer tech says that it sounds normal for these trucks, this is a lame answer. Belts can make noise from slipping and alignment related issues.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
I had the chirp, the dealer went with a tensioner/belt replacement.

It has decreased the number of chirps and volume of them but has not completely removed the noise.

On a separate forum I was told the idler should be replaced as well or it will just continue to happen.