OP
OP
WKTJR1

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
UPDATE: From the files of "You can't make this shit up"—Toyota has only offered to build a new truck. The build date is set for 11/18, with delivery expected in mid-January. Needless to say, I’m not happy with this news. While my dealer isn’t at fault, I’ve expressed my dissatisfaction with this resolution. This essentially turns into a complete do-over: wait two months for the build, then just as long for delivery. I’ve asked them to check on a different color, but I’m betting I’ll be waiting for red until next year. Fuck.
Sponsored

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
UPDATE: From the files of "You can't make this shit up"—Toyota has only offered to build a new truck. The build date is set for 11/18, with delivery expected in mid-January. Needless to say, I’m not happy with this news. While my dealer isn’t at fault, I’ve expressed my dissatisfaction with this resolution. This essentially turns into a complete do-over: wait two months for the build, then just as long for delivery. I’ve asked them to check on a different color, but I’m betting I’ll be waiting for red until next year. Fuck.
I forget your exact spec... but you could call this dealer in and see if this one would come sooner and isn't spoken for:
https://smartpath.toyota.com/invent...dealerCd=45103&vin=3TYLC5LN2RT43B452&type=new

I forget what post someone decoded the temp VINs into, but if "B452" means build week 45, then it would be factory-out first week of November, so maybe not much better.

This one, in PA, looks like it might be on the dealer's lot... it has a real VIN assigned to it already and continued to display when I turned off "sale pending" and turned off "show in transit"
https://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/model/tacomahybrid/Tacoma-Limited/?salePending=false&zipcode=21228&showCompareVehicle=false&distance=500&vin=3TYLC5LN3RT005040&trim[]=7534&extColor[]=03U5

That last one is listed on the Dealer's website with a stock # already
https://www.laureltoyotapa.com/new/...m?intsrc=tcom:inventory:dealervisit:inventory

... maybe you can make a call and take a drive and have your truck this weekend?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
UPDATE: From the files of "You can't make this shit up"—Toyota has only offered to build a new truck.
Man - that truly sucks. @Baltimore seems to have turned up a few red Limiteds and I found at least one last night. If we can find them why the hell can't Toyota? I know you were tracking inventory for a long time now. Have you tried to follow up on any of these mystery trucks that we can see but that Toyota is clueless about?

I pushed out the search range to 500 miles and there do seem to be some out there. I don't think it should be your job to find one, since Toyota is at fault here, but it might be worth a try. Good luck man!

Fuck indeed.

WDBGR

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
I didn’t build one but supposedly it will arrive in 5 days…and hopefully in one piece since there is a hurricane and it was coming from Guanajuato.🤦🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
WKTJR1

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s apparently a regional issue. In my email, I mentioned that it seems like they aren't trying very hard. I understand that production is planned months in advance and that only a limited number of Red Limiteds are scheduled to be built, but come on—really, this is the best they can do? The dealer was already notified that the truck was on its way! Add in the holidays and the possibility of a longshoremen strike, which could (and likely will) delay things even further, and it's stacking up to be a “merry” Christmas indeed.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
It’s apparently a regional issue.
That actually might explain it to some degree. The Toyota distribution by region thing is stupid and causes other problems in getting the truck you want. In all the time that I have been buying Toyotas I have only had one dealer willing to look outside of their region for another vehicle. They might just be lazy, but I think there are organizational reasons that prevent them from moving a truck from one region to another.

I don't see a good option or you here. Your Tundra is sold and your IS F is too special to drive in a Maine winter. Unless it would work to share your wife's SUV for a while, you basically are screwed. I guess you could buy a beater to get you through, but that will cost you money you should not have to spend. Toyota has backed you into a tough spot and doesn't seem willing or able to make this right. From my POV the best that they can do is not good enough.

OP
OP
WKTJR1

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That actually might explain it to some degree. The Toyota distribution by region thing is stupid and causes other problems in getting the truck you want. In all the time that I have been buying Toyotas I have only had one dealer willing to look outside of their region for another vehicle. They might just be lazy, but I think there are organizational reasons that prevent them from moving a truck from one region to another.

I don't see a good option or you here. Your Tundra is sold and your IS F is too special to drive in a Maine winter. Unless it would work to share your wife's SUV for a while, you basically are screwed. I guess you could buy a beater to get you through, but that will cost you money you should not have to spend. Toyota has backed you into a tough spot and doesn't seem willing or able to make this right. From my POV the best that they can do is not good enough.
Exactly.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
One more reason to ignore the dealer and your location when searching. Make the relationship after the sale in service if you want to. They don't know/don't care if you recently moved there or not.

This really sucks, but it looks like you can get your deposit back and likely resolve this quicker if you do your own outreach and coordination.

I live in Maryland, yet I deposited, purchased, and shipped my truck from a dealership in TN (it's scheduled to arrive in my driveway today). Why? Bc every local dealer didn't have what I wanted and have various stories about having to wait for an allocation and hope for a match, or twist my arm to accept what they already had. I'm not paying north of $60k to "settle". Searched the entire country, found one in TN, contacted the dealer, and they were willing to sell at retail and coordinate private transport.

To ship the truck from western TN to central MD was $1700 (flight, hotel, gas, tolls, meals, and time would have been a decent bit more).

How much is the continued frustration and stress worth? Only you can say

I hope to hear a successful resolution and you enjoying the truck you've been waiting months for!

Trailcat

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter (reserved)
Man, I am so sorry for you. That is unreal. That unlocks new fears for me as my own truck inches closer to delivery. I saw someone post in a FB group about receiving a truck with roof damage, I can't imagine something beyond repair. I'd lose it. Shouldn't Toyota corporate owe you something?

I hope you are the kind of person that believes everything happens for a reason and that when the truck is sitting in your driveway, it'll be that much sweeter.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I can't imagine something beyond repair. I'd lose it. Shouldn't Toyota corporate owe you something?
Yeah - it is hard for me to understand how you can damage a vehicle beyond repair transporting it, unless it fell off of a truck on the highway.

I agree - it seems like Toyota owes this man something beyond, this is all that we can do. Maybe once they are in transport Toyota can't do anything with the trucks, and the dealer doesn't seem to really care. Welcome to the world of modern customer service.

OP
OP
WKTJR1

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in contact with the dealer and not ready to write them off yet. My gut says the salesman is doing what he can, but obviously, I can't comment on management. The issue, as I see it, is the regional setup. I don’t know how other manufacturers operate, but from my familiarity with a regional system, it seems they have allotments that are assigned to their dealers. You can’t procure a truck from another region without corporate approval, and who knows how much power the regions have since their job is to supply the vehicles the dealers want. If they say no, it might just end there.

I made it known that this will eventually leave me with only one vehicle, and not having a truck complicates things further. I asked them to keep that in mind when discussing the issue. I told them I could accept blue without a problem, but a bronze truck would feel like settling and would need to be optioned properly or come with other incentives. If the timeline is less than 30 days, I’ll just wait for red. I also asked them to look into vehicle trades, allotments, and to explore options out of the region.
Sponsored