Sponsored

Disable fake engine noise in 2024 Tacoma 4th gen with OBD2 scanner / programmer?

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Thanks - that is good to know. Some things no doubt changed for the 4th gen but a lot of things are going to stay the same.

I can't get any consistent info on fake engine noise in the 4th gen. I think the best source is hearing from people like you who own them. Just because it was used in the Tundra doesn't mean it is also in the new Taco and I have seen nothing from Toyota.
So I just connected Carista and “disabled” the “fake” engine noise. After that I drove a few miles to see if I could tell a difference…I can’t. It sounds exactly the same to me. Maybe others are hearing or not hearing something I’m missing? The option is there to disable engine sound enhancement and separately ANC. I only disabled the engine sound enhancement.

My wife has a BMW and I have used Bimmercode to change numerous settings in her car but I have found a few that even though I changed them in the app they did not change in her car. Maybe the 4th gen Tacoma is the same way in that regard.
Sponsored

Madmez

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav
So I just connected Carista and “disabled” the “fake” engine noise. After that I drove a few miles to see if I could tell a difference…I can’t. It sounds exactly the same to me. Maybe others are hearing or not hearing something I’m missing? The option is there to disable engine sound enhancement and separately ANC. I only disabled the engine sound enhancement.

My wife has a BMW and I have used Bimmercode to change numerous settings in her car but I have found a few that even though I changed them in the app they did not change in her car. Maybe the 4th gen Tacoma is the same way in that regard.
I noticed that before turning it off, the fake noise was like a slight grunt in acceleration. It's quite constant and different than the clacking, fan, and turbo air sound.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I noticed that before turning it off, the fake noise was like a slight grunt in acceleration. It's quite constant and different than the clacking, fan, and turbo air sound.
After more driving and listening I do seem to here what your talking about. The grunt or deepening of the sound is under normal acceleration especially from a stop. It's almost like it adds bass to the engine note under low rpm load. That being said it is not a pleasent "grunt". I think I will leave mine off.

Sponsored

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
In an earlier post, after having a subwoofer professionally installed, I thought the ANC was interfering with the bass sound quality.
After living with it for a few weeks I now believe it is the fake noise as bass distortion primarily occurs during acceleration. I’ll disable it and report back.
It was the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) that was interfering with the new subwoofer. I also disabled the engine noise enhancement (ENE) . I really didn’t notice much of a change. The seatbelt chimes are history!!

IMG_6836.png

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I have an older OBDLink LX, the cheaper OBDLink. Just checked it with the Tacoma and Carista app. It connects just fine and all changes can be made. No need to buy the Carista OBD link adapter if you already have the OBDLink. I tried it with an older Android phone that I normally use for this kind of stuff.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I turned it off using carista. It does make a noticeable difference.

After turning it off I realized the biggest difference was during a cold start and the first few minutes of driving. The turbo noise was nearly non-existent. Paying closer attention to the boost gauge it seems like the turbo is less engaged until the engine gets up to temp (this is a good thing!). You never want to accelerate hard until the turbo is up to temp and it seems like the engine is actively trying to manage this. Once up to temp the turbo feels more responsive. Not sure if this is par for the course with newer turbo vehicles?
I’ve noticed that on mine, driving just after starting the truck is not enjoyable, the turbo deff doesn’t create boost until the oil is warmed up. I’ve letting mine warm up for a few min even when it’s hot outside

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
Any idea on whether this could affect your warrantee?
Legally they can't deny you warranty coverage unless the thing you changed directly caused the problem. Yes, they can claim whatever they want, but trying to do that has consequences for them too.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
AFAIK the things that you can change with an OBD2 tool can also be changed by the dealer. I changed what I could on my Tundra and then had the dealer change the settings not accessible to me. So I don't see how changes like that could affect your warranty.

The only warranty problems I have heard about are things that obviously can cause mechanical damage, like a lift or a new ECU with an extreme tune.

Sponsored

keonigt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
It was the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) that was interfering with the new subwoofer. I also disabled the engine noise enhancement (ENE) . I really didn’t notice much of a change. The seatbelt chimes are history!!

IMG_6836.png
did you happen to have a loud bass sound that occurs during certain RPMs and when the windows are closed?

I have a newly installed amp hooked up to my stock speakers and just noticed a bass sound coming from my door speakers at rpms between 1500 and 1800. And it comes back on deceleration. I also noticed that the bass sound completely disappears when I crack the windows.

do you think this is caused by fake engine noise or the active noise cancellation?

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
did you happen to have a loud bass sound that occurs during certain RPMs and when the windows are closed?

I have a newly installed amp hooked up to my stock speakers and just noticed a bass sound coming from my door speakers at rpms between 1500 and 1800. And it comes back on deceleration. I also noticed that the bass sound completely disappears when I crack the windows.

do you think this is caused by fake engine noise or the active noise cancellation?
I intensionally disabled one at a time. It was definitely ANC interference . I had no correlation with the windows but I don’t believe I experimented with that. It did occur at low rpms and with acceleration and deceleration.
Sponsored