Discovered an annoying safety feature

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
I am sitting in line for gas at Costco and put the truck in Park. I take off my seat belt to fish out my wallet. I put it in drive and it won't go. I get an alert that I have to have my seat belt on to go into drive??

I understand the safety aspect of it. I can see times when moving on my driveway or off-roading and moving a bit forward that I may want to go from Park to drive without my seat belt

I wonder if there is a way to turn this off.

That and the fact when I customize the display to show Tire pressure it disappears later on. Minor issues.

Really love this truck and enjoy driving it
Sponsored

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I just tried reproducing that with mine. I can put it in gear and drive. I turned off the seatbelt door ringer with Carista. Perhaps that did it.

Reactions: JED
OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just tried reproducing that with mine. I can put it in gear and drive. I turned off the seatbelt door ringer with Carista. Perhaps that did it.
Interesting. I have shut off the ringer with Carista already. I will have to try it again.

john877

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
The tire pressure gauge also disappears on my 24 TRD Sport, quite annoying. Must be a software bug, hopefully they'll have a software fix for it shortly.

Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Tire pressure bug, well known on forums. Software issue that needs to be fixed.
Brake locking up truck with seatbelt off, you can override it, just hit the electronic emergency brake button, it'll cycle it off the one time.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Cool - that is another good reason to turn off that super annoying seatbelt chime.

This whole trend toward our vehicles "knowing" more about how to drive than we do is dangerous and dumb.

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just repeating that I had already shut off the chime when it happened. I had been driving for quite a while before putting it in park while sitting in line.

I will see if I can recreate it, maybe something else was going on. The alert said make sure door is closed and seatbelt is on.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Cool - that is another good reason to turn off that super annoying seatbelt chime.

This whole trend toward our vehicles "knowing" more about how to drive than we do is dangerous and dumb.
What data do you have to support that idea? It contradicts the findings with so much of the fleet now having AEB, adaptive cruise, and other safety technology.

A really interesting aspect is how it has been market driven vs a regulation or law. Other firms jumped on to what was successful with Cadillac, Volvo and Subaru. When the whole new fleet of autos had AEB light truck competitors jumped on board after one did. Only recently did the insurance industry start to want any stragglers have this stuff by law.

Another surprise was when our insurer wanted the OEM windshield replacement vs 3rd party from it having camera attached because their data supported the costs being worth it.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@bitflogger I don't have any empirical data to support that, just my opinion. A lot of drivers are very inattentive when driving and the safety nannies are definitely helpful to them. But I pay attention when driving and I don't need my vehicles steering for me and monitoring my behavior behind the wheel. I love dynamic cruise, cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitoring and seeing the posted speed limit in my HUD is great. But a friend's Hyundai slams on the brakes when it thinks there is cross traffic, even when there isn't. I just find some of it too intrusive for me.

For instance I don't need my truck to tell me when it is safe to engage Drive or if I need to wear my seatbelt in my driveway when moving my truck. I think a good interface would be for all of those features to be on by default, but let you use just the features that you really want/need. I flog bits for a living too and admire the tech, but I am old fashioned in still liking to drive my own vehicle.

Your mileage may vary. :)

Reactions: Kjc

Sponsored

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I know it will stop you if your door is open. I was in a situation where I needed to move the truck 2 feet and tried to move it with the door open... no go. It slammed on the brakes and made me close the door first. I do from time to time, when driving short distances offroad, leave my seatbelt off. I turned off my chimes with Carista and it moves just fine with it off.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
@bitflogger I don't have any empirical data to support that, just my opinion. A lot of drivers are very inattentive when driving and the safety nannies are definitely helpful to them. But I pay attention when driving and I don't need my vehicles steering for me and monitoring my behavior behind the wheel. I love dynamic cruise, cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitoring and seeing the posted speed limit in my HUD is great. But a friend's Hyundai slams on the brakes when it thinks there is cross traffic, even when there isn't. I just find some of it too intrusive for me.

For instance I don't need my truck to tell me when it is safe to engage Drive or if I need to wear my seatbelt in my driveway when moving my truck. I think a good interface would be for all of those features to be on by default, but let you use just the features that you really want/need. I flog bits for a living too and admire the tech, but I am old fashioned in still liking to drive my own vehicle.

Your mileage may vary. :)
Our family member killed had much experience as a first responder and a good record. His Ford pickup had only had ABS. The road rage or aggressive driver and municipal worker who killed him didn't have that technology. That's an extreme example of how others should have the tech too.

My niece an attorney for major automotive underwriter defends complex accidents which means death, bad injuries, trucks, and stuff really expensive and tragic. She points out over and over how this stuff reduces that problem.

I'm for sure with you on driving the vehicle but roadways have shared responsibility. That concept goes back 10s of thousands of years in both of religion and law. At my old age now I just now treat the difference. I take my risks with my sports and find this latest Toyota version is really good from experience with the competition.

Good luck.