Engine Debris -- Oil change @ 1000 miles results

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground
Not to completely derail this thread, but does anybody have any solid info on the Toyota care plans?

I've heard mixed info stating that they'll only do the oil change twice (the 10,000 mile interval) equivalents, and then that they'll take care of it for the solid 2 years, no matter how many times you take it in. I had mine done at 878 miles, but I'm curious as to how they qualify/quantify oil changes.
They will only change the oil under this plan at 10,000 and 20,000 miles. Took the wife's Corolla Cross in for a 5K service and paid for an oil change. The service advisor said it didn't need to be done until 10K. I told him oi; cheap engines are expense.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
They will only change the oil under this plan at 10,000 and 20,000 miles. Took the wife's Corolla Cross in for a 5K service and paid for an oil change. The service advisor said it didn't need to be done until 10K. I told him oi; cheap engines are expense.
I had mine done at 878 for free. Will go back 5800 and get the 2nd free one and then start doing it myself every 5k.

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Toyota OEM oils, while still meeting the same spec, are structured quite a bit differently than any other off the shelf oil. It may be beneficial to use the Toyota stuff for the first 5 to 10,000. Not for the warranty work, but some theoretical longevity benefits because of the additives.
What additives? Toyota oil is made by Exxon/Mobil. So Toyota oil is Mobil One. Do to a dealer and ask what oil they put in. Took the wife Corolla Cross in for 5K service and had the oil changed. The bill said Pennzoil. I guess they didn't get the memo

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd say get it a try yourself. It wasn't too difficult, I didn't even have to put my floor jack under the Tacoma as I did with my Silverado.
DId my GMC 12 Sierra for years and had to put it on ramps and still couldn't use a creeper

Sponsored

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I'd like to respond to your comments. Prior to my first oil change, I checked my oil level several times, over the first few week or so, and basically piled on 1K miles in that week so I could swap it out, and break the engine in faster.

I noticed that every time I checked the oil, it was halfway between the two lines, but when I added 6 quarts on that first change, the oil level was right at the very top, by the max line.

My thoughts are that they send these trucks out the door without filling the crankcase with the full 6 quarts to save money, but it could be an issue with the oil filling station. I'm sure we'll never get the full answer on that however, mine was not filled with 6 quarts.

I will say that at no time did my engine consume any oil, as the oil level stayed constant every time I checked it. I will be monitoring my engine over the next 4k miles until I hit the 5K mark, at which point I'll back off on checking the oil as much.
Before I took delivery I went over the truck also checking the oil. Mine was in between max and low and made them top it off. Even in my 2023 Corolla Cross the oil was about a half quart below max. I was told they all come in that way.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
What additives? Toyota oil is made by Exxon/Mobil. So Toyota oil is Mobil One. Do to a dealer and ask what oil they put in. Took the wife Corolla Cross in for 5K service and had the oil changed. The bill said Pennzoil. I guess they didn't get the memo
You have strong opinions, but they're not informed opinions. Exxon supplies the base oil. The buyer can order anything they want to put in it. And in the case of Toyota, it's not just a rebranded bottle. The virgin oil analysis proves this. What your dealer chooses to use in the car has no bearing on these facts.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium
I had them change mine around 4000 miles free of charge

OP
OP
LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
DId my GMC 12 Sierra for years and had to put it on ramps and still couldn't use a creeper
No creeper is gonna work unfortunately under this Taco, but no ramps either. Had to use a floor jack with my Silverado cuz the running boards were so low.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
The Toyota genuine oil is NOT Mobil 1. It is formulated specifically for Toyota to Toyotas standards with a special additive package. It has a ridiculous amount of moly which protects against wear. There are plenty of credible sources out there to get this information mostly from oil analysis
Sponsored