Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yeah, I have always done my own oil changes with Mobil 1. When I traded in my Tundra they didn't ask any service questions and gave me a killer price.

The only time I have ever been asked about the lack of dealer service was by a Toyota service manager when I took it in for a new bed under a TSB. He said our records show that this truck has never been serviced. I said no, it has only been serviced by me since I don't usually trust dealers to do it properly. lol

My current dealer provides 5 services at 5k mile intervals so I may let them do the oil changes, except for an early one. Once those are over I will go back to doing them all myself.
Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
...so if I scheduled oil changes every ~5-7K at the dealership w/their formulation, would my resale be higher or about the same vs changing the oil myself?
Yes, but only if you sell to a tribologist… sorry, bad joke- but I had to do it

tacosinnataco

First Name
Sep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
As a side note, for anyone doing DIY, highly recommend a Fumoto valve. I've installed them on every car I've ever owned. If you're rocking a skid, get the one with a long nipple - you can literally drain the oil with a PE tube right into a container. Completely mess-free.
As long as the valve is protected, then it's fine. If it's not, I'd stay away as my buddy blew his LS1 engine. We both had LS1FDs and the time.... he was out doing "canyon" runs and bottomed out somewhere along the way. Anyway - the large valve (Fumoto) broke off and he spun a bearing as he lost all of his oil.

I'm not even at 300miles yet so I haven't had the pleasure of looking underneath my tacoma. I have no clue where the drain plug is but I'm simply sharing a potential issue. Skids will definitely help mitigate the problem I described though.
Sponsored