Fixed My Paint Chip Using Touch Up Direct

BigBlahino

First Name
Anon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-road
Hey guys! This is a log of how I fixed my paint chip on my underground TRD off-road.

for my back story I accidentally chipped it when I went to open my door and slammed it on a metal pole which chipped it down to the metal under the paint.

I looked online for kits to repair the paint chip and stumbled across a company called TouchUpDirect and went with them based on the reviews I saw and how they already have every single color for the 2024 Tacoma. It costed me around $70 for the premium kit which includes a Wax and Grease remover, Sand paper, Base coat, Color coat, and the clear coat as well as a buffering solution for when your finished.

Now on to how I went about fixing it: I started by using the Wax and Grease remover and then sand papered down the area of the scratch to smooth out the whole spot so that when the base coat is applied it lies smooth and flat and not bumpy. This is seen in image 1.

After that I had applied the base coat and did around 3 coats and then sand papered that down to leave a smooth finish. Once sandpapered down you can notice that the base coat stays and filled in the spot where the dent was from the paint missing, this also protects the metal underneath. This is poorly seen in image 2 but you get the point.

Now finally on to adding the paint. After letting the base coat fully dry I applied 3 coats of color coat to the scratch all across the area letting it dry for 15 minutes between each coat. This left me with a very smooth and flush look, it was actually difficult finding the spot where the scratch even was once I got to the second coat. After letting the last layer dry for 30 minutes I went in and sand papered down with a very very fine sandpaper lightly to get rid of any jagged bumps and then applied the new buffer solution with a microfiber towel. I’m now left with a clean smooth spot compared to what I had prior. If any of you have any rock chips that are deep I highly highly recommend picking up the kit!!

2024 Tacoma Fixed My Paint Chip Using Touch Up Direct IMG_8426

2024 Tacoma Fixed My Paint Chip Using Touch Up Direct IMG_8429

2024 Tacoma Fixed My Paint Chip Using Touch Up Direct IMG_8431

2024 Tacoma Fixed My Paint Chip Using Touch Up Direct IMG_8425
Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Not bad. I'm always nervous to sand when using touch up paint, just as I feel that I'll make it look worse than before. Though I've seen some some videos of some guys sanding touch up spots and buffing them after. Did you let the paint dry for a full day before sanding and buffing it?

I wonder how their kit is for Wind Chill Pearl. It's a really tough color to blend - I just used the Automotive Touchup kit which turned out relatively decent.

OP
OP
BigBlahino

BigBlahino

First Name
Anon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not bad. I'm always nervous to sand when using touch up paint, just as I feel that I'll make it look worse than before. Though I've seen some some videos of some guys sanding touch up spots and buffing them after. Did you let the paint dry for a full day before sanding and buffing it?

I wonder how their kit is for Wind Chill Pearl. It's a really tough color to blend - I just used the Automotive Touchup kit which turned out relatively decent.
It can definitely be a little worrisome but as long as you are careful and not sanding deep or anything all you are really doing is taking off that first layer of clear coat and buffer which is eventually being replaced with what’s in the kit. All the coats dried super fast so there was no need for me to wait too long. All the coats inside the kit say they only take a max of around 15 minutes to dry either way. And there’s some great reviews online as well as a YouTube video on someone who also had some pretty bad scratches on their car with a paint that had that similar sparkle finish to it and it ended up blending in really well. Just make sure to sand paper down the area so it’s not bumpy and jagged looking.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Looks good…. I don’t want to diminish the effort, but I’ve found that the easiest place to touch up paint and make look like nothing happened is on edges. Edges of doors, hoods, fuel doors - always come out near perfect, I’ve used OE touch up pens in those situations and have had great success. Touching up on flat panels and getting it to look smooth is pretty tough.

OP
OP
BigBlahino

BigBlahino

First Name
Anon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good…. I don’t want to diminish the effort, but I’ve found that the easiest place to touch up paint and make look like nothing happened is on edges. Edges of doors, hoods, fuel doors - always come out near perfect, I’ve used OE touch up pens in those situations and have had great success. Touching up on flat panels and getting it to look smooth is pretty tough.
Definitely true! It’s a pretty hidden and unseen area too but as you come in to open the door you definitely see it and it’s bothersome. When I eventually get a paint chip elsewhere on the car I’ll try the kit out and see how it compares.

Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Definitely true! It’s a pretty hidden and unseen area too but as you come in to open the door you definitely see it and it’s bothersome. When I eventually get a paint chip elsewhere on the car I’ll try the kit out and see how it compares.
Doesn’t matter where the chip or scratch is - first one on a new truck hurts the most. 😥

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Just started cleaning up rock chips… slow but getting there!
2024 Tacoma Fixed My Paint Chip Using Touch Up Direct IMG_5540

2024 Tacoma Fixed My Paint Chip Using Touch Up Direct IMG_5541

4thGenOffRd

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road
I have a big ass dent on the side of my truck bed. The auto body shop wants $1800 for the repair and they can’t find the TRD off road sticker replacement. Today, I found a scratch on my headlight and side mirror from rocks and branches. I would be more upset if I only used the truck as a person of Walmart.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@dvrgz Wow - those are some nasty dents. I have had some great results with PDR and I bet they can fix those for you. Good luck.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@MT-Taco I have had really good results fixing road rash chips like you have using Dr Colorchip. Once you get the process down you can pretty much make them disappear.

That reminds me to check to see if they have my paint code available.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
@dvrgz Wow - those are some nasty dents. I have had some great results with PDR and I bet they can fix those for you. Good luck.
One time I tried doing DIY paintless dent repair. The stuff isn't very expensive to do it and the process is not terribly complicated.

At least that's what I thought.

It made it worse, it looks like shit and its way harder than you can possibly imagine times 100.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
@MT-Taco I have had really good results fixing road rash chips like you have using Dr Colorchip. Once you get the process down you can pretty much make them disappear.

That reminds me to check to see if they have my paint code available.
They have underground - 1L7

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
That was interesting that you tried doing your own PDR. I imagine it takes a lot of practice to learn how to do that well. Maybe spend a lot of time in a junk yard. lol

Last edited:

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Just started cleaning up rock chips… slow but getting there!
IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg
looks really good, what's your technique?

i'm planning to fix all the rock chips on my fenders after i get rock sliders with top plates
Sponsored